Friday, August 30, 2013

Disconnect to Reconnect


Genesis 20:8
Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

Last Friday, my blog post describes my decision to make every Sunday internet-free.  Judging by the comments, it turns out I'm hardly alone when it comes to thinking a break is a wise idea.  I find the success stories of others both comforting and encouraging as I face the uncertainties of a day without social media.  They assure me that it can, indeed, be done and is well worth the effort.

So, as one inquiring mind wished to know, how did my Sabbath rest go?  Far better than I could have ever envisioned!

Now, I won't say I didn't have the urge to get on the internet.  It's such a reflexive habit!  I had to keep reminding myself of the commitment I made.  Yet, as the day progressed, I thought less and less about it and truly enjoyed the activities which took its place.

And, what were those activities, you ask?  I took extra time to read my Bible, ran some errands, got lots of needed housework done, organized my prayer list, tweaked some photos, and spent quiet, reflective, prayerful time outdoors as Sunday was a gorgeous day.  But, best of all, my husband, Danny, and I noticed something:  We were spending more time talking to one another!

Don't get me wrong.  Danny and I talk to each other.  A lot!  But, on this day, we engage in deeper, more meaningful conversations.  There is nothing to distract me from giving him my full attention.  And, because I'm not on the internet, Danny doesn't visit it as often as he usually does.

The day reminds us both of how we spend our time together on our cabin getaways.  We disconnect from the world to reconnect with God and each other.  It's such a blessing to know we can enjoy these mini-retreats on a weekly basis right here at home!

After this experience, Danny, too, is seriously contemplating taking a Sabbath rest from the internet every Sunday.  Wow!  That's how positive and uplifting this day was for us.

Was there a downside to this new experience?  Only the extra load of e-mail and blog comments to contend with on Monday.  But, that is far outweighed by the rest, peace, and contentment I feel from giving myself permission to rest.

~

If you are one on those persons who takes regular breaks from the internet, what are some of the activities you engage in during your time of rest?

Will you pray with me?
Heavenly Father, help us to disconnect from distractions in order to reconnect with You and those we love in meaningful ways.  In all things, may we seek first Your kingdom and righteousness, trusting that all else will fall into place according to Your will.  Amen.

14 comments:

  1. Good one Martha. I'm considering unplugging. Not on Sundays per se' but just at various times. I can't believe how accustom I am to checking email and other sites. Thanks for giving me food for thought sweet sister.
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Leah!
      Yes, it really is healthy to unplug from time to time. I'm actually looking forward to doing this again on Sunday. :)
      Oh, and loved your latest blog. Just left a comment!
      Hugs back at you!

      Delete
  2. I've had to schedule off internet time too Martha. And spending time with family and connecting with people is what I enjoy doing. Also, another thing I'm doing with off internet time is writing or brain-storming on paper which I like. It's different way of creating, expressing myself. And if what I write sounds good, it becomes a future post or writing.

    I am glad you're enjoying your time off but confused - are you cutting your posting down to once a week too? Or just taking the day off and still posting 2-3 times a week?

    Have a great Sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Vishnu, and glad to hear you are taking some time off, too.
      About the posting - still doing this twice a week on Tuesday and Friday. The time off is so I can refocus and spend time on other activities.
      Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  3. I have the same thoughts as Leah ~ not really preferring Sundays as a day to disconnect but I have 19 and 25 and other special days dedicated to retreats and prayer :D

    What I do when not here: Adoration, attend Mass, read spiritual books, spend time with my nieces and family, connect with other people.

    I pray with you ~ may we use the time given us to reconnect with You, O Lord and with other people. May our hearts be united with everybody in praying and may we learn to be more generous of ourselves.

    I love you a lot Martha and thanks for this constant reminder to give time to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Melissa!
      Yes, it doesn't matter which days we choose to unplug from the internet. I love the activities you engage in on those days of your rest.
      Thanks, too, as always, for praying with me!
      Much love and many blessings!

      Delete
  4. I love this idea. When I'm at the cabin, I am internet-free, so when I'm at home, I don't take whole days offline. However, I try to resist the urge to get online until after my morning meditation/prayer time.

    I enjoy my time offline at the cabin, and I suspect you are going to be very glad you are taking a day off every week to spend in closer connection to God and those around you. I'll look forward to hearing about it as this becomes a regular practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Galen!
      Yes, I can tell that you enjoy the "down time" at your cabin. It's so important to step away from the noise and confusion from time to time. When Danny and I stay at a cabin this December, we've decided to shut it all down, including our phones! That should be interesting . . .
      As for sticking with this practice, I actually was looking forward to last Sunday knowing the internet wouldn't be part of my day.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. So glad to know this worked well for you, Martha. I will be taking frequent breaks starting next week and I'm so looking forward to them. Thanks for the inspiration, as always! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Corinne, it did and last Sunday was even better! So glad you are taking those most-needed breaks. I think we are so much better for those mini-vacations.
      Thanks so much for visiting!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your experiences, Martha. We miss so very much being so connected that we're disconnected in ways that truly matter. To my dismay, the more "connected" I appear to be, the more "disconnected" I feel.

    I'm planning to be disconnected (computer wise) the next two weekends (Saturdays only)--I'm taking a two-session "class". Thankfully, even the prep--well at least some of it is away from the computer.

    It's freeing to do something different than so much of the world!

    Blessings to you, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kim!
      I love what you said here - "To my dismay, the more 'connected' I appear to be, the more 'disconnected' I feel." That's what was happening to me and I didn't even realize it until I actually took that Sunday off from the computer. I know you will enjoy your break, too!
      And, yes, it is freeing to do something different.
      Blessings right back at you!

      Delete
  7. I disconnected in a different way: I stopped watching TV several years ago. Then I took it to the next level and stopped listening to the radio except in the car and around bedtime. Inviting silence into my day has given me more time for prayer and reflection and given me a closer connection to God and my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting!
      Like you, I watch very little television and often keep the radio off both at home and in the car. It does give us just that much more time for prayer, reflection, and just spending time with God.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...