Monday, July 27, 2026

The Light of Life

 


When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." ~John 8:12

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. ~C. S. Lewis


My word for the year is Light.  Although I haven't written about it here in quite some time, it has been a constant in my daily life as I observe seasons transitioning from winter to spring and now summer.  Our home, nestled in the woods, tends to be darker than most during the day, so those glimpses of the sun's radiance are a coveted sight.

The top photos shows my work area for my Bible and devotional readings.  I've noticed, with great delight, that starting around 11:00 in the morning, the sun streams through the window on a clear day, providing such ample illumination that I don't have to turn on my overhead lamp.  Needless to say, that hour has become my favorite time for engaging with my Bible study.

And yes, as summer rolls on, the time of the sunshine's entrance will shift; I'll be following its progress faithfully.  Now if our Congress would decide to keep to Daylight Savings Time as I mention in my previous post, I can look forward to this reenactment next July, too.  No, I'm not holding my breath.

We enjoy a bright, sunny day just this past week, and I can't resist snapping some photos of the sunlight on the leaves.




Even on rainy days, the light that gets through the clouds shimmers and dances on the leaves in such a magical style.



As Christians, we know that Jesus walks with us each and every day.  He is truly the light of the world, the light of life, and in Him there is no darkness at all.  Even on a starless, moonless night, His light shines through us as our faith and trust in Him grows and flourishes.  Because God's Holy Spirit dwell within us, we can, and we will, experience what C. S. Lewis describes in the quote above.

We will see the world around us with the loving eyes of Jesus.

And that's the only way we can live freely and fully.

Amen!

2 comments:

  1. You live in such a beautiful place. I am all about light, as you know by the title of my blog. Do you live in the woods?

    ReplyDelete

The Light of Life

  When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but wil...