Monday, September 7, 2026

Let Us Do Good

 


You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. ~Genesis 50:20

While we have time, let us do good. ~St. Francis of Assissi


This week marks the 25th anniversary of the horror that was 9/11.  Like so many of you, my memories of that tragic day are as crystal clear as if the event occurred only days ago.  It is a moment in time that forever changed our country and the world in ways we could never have imagined, and in its wake, propelled us into wars against terrorists who still see America and Western civilization as the enemies to this day.

The Siller family lost their youngest sibling, Stephen, on that fateful day.  He was a dedicated husband, father and firefighter in New York City at the time.  Stephen had just completed the night shift and was preparing to return home when the first plane struck.  Instead of retreating, he ran through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel to the Twin Towers, intent upon saving as many lives as he possibly could.

Tragically, like thousands of others, his own life was taken from him that day.

The Sillers, like so many others, were devastated by this unimaginable  loss, not just for themselves, but for the countless thousands adversely affected.  Stephen's brother, Frank, had a vision to create something worthy that would honor all those who perished on 9/11 and keep the memory of his little brother, and the earth-shattering event, alive for all who cannot afford to forget.

Let Us Do Good tells how the Tunnel to Towers Foundation came to be as a result of Stephen's sacrifice.  For those of you unfamiliar with T2T, it is a charitable organization that pays off the mortgages of families with small children whose husband or wife perishes in the line of duty.  Started initially to help first responders, their mission has expanded to include Gold Star families and building handicap-accessible, mortgage-free homes for disabled veterans, police and firefighters.  In recent years, the foundation has acquired and refurbished hotels in various cities around the country to get homeless veterans off the street and give each one the help, healing, counseling, and community to help them reenter society.

Frank says his family owes their unswerving dedication to duty and service to the way his parents, Mae and George, raised each of the seven children.  It makes perfect sense, then, that out of the ashes of Stephen's death a phoenix of hope would arise in his memory, spreading genuine love and comfort to those who have lost loved ones who have so bravely served this country.

I highly recommend Frank's book, especially as the 25th anniversary of 9/11 is fast approaching.  You can order your copy from Amazon HERE.

And if you would like to join the Tunnel to Towers Foundation as a monthly contributor, I hope you will consider doing so.  Danny and I each give the suggested $11 per month.  It isn't an imposing amount for most families, and it's this continued participation by millions of us that will support those who have sacrificed so much for our freedoms long into the future.

Let us do good while we can.

Amen!

50 comments:

  1. I didn't know about any of this. This foundation is amazing! Veterans do not get the things they deserve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many times, that is true, Ginny. I love that T2T not only looks after veterans, but the families of the first-responders like those who lost their lives trying to save others on 9/11. Hope you will look into this organization.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this moving and well-deserved tribute to that day and all who lost their lives or were injured as a result. I too remember it well. I join you in prayers for all the brave people who put themselves in danger to help others; and all who died and were injured on 9/11.

    God bless you, Martha. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victor, for joining me in prayer for all those who are still adversely affected by that fateful day. So many people suffer with or have died from illnesses related to being exposed to the debris from 9/11. It's a horrid day that we can never forget.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Martha, for the book recommendation. I'm going to have to look it up. Like you, I do remember what I was doing that day. How can I forget? And how can I disregard the desecration of the memory of that day by the current SDA and also the Canadian paper saying not to call it a terrorist act. I guess they buried their head in the sand. I'm grateful for every life that was lost-fighting for lives or simply innocent due to an act of terrorism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Bill, there will always be those people and countries that despise us and refuse to call things out for what they truly are. This is such a worthwhile read and T2T is a worthy cause that I'm so proud to support. Let me know if you enjoy the read!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I'm reading a number of memoires, memories, tories, and even poems about that day. And I'm thinking abut why i tend to see red when various news media explain it as "some airplanes flew into buildings," as if airplanes had suddenly turned evil and attacked. That's not what happened, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beyond sad that there are people in our very own nation that can be filled with such hatred and denial of what really happened on 9/11, Glynn. It reminds me of the lame arguments for gun control as if the guns, not the people, actually do the shooting. We must never forget and teach our grandchildren the truth about what actually happened.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I also remember that day so clearly. I'm sad that the patriotism that we saw then seems to have faded so much.
    I know about T2T but didn't know the story behind it. I'm going to look for the book and check further into T2T. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post inspired you to take a closer look into this foundation, Mari! Danny and I can't think of an organization more worthy of our support than this one. We can never forget the thousands of sacrifices people made in the aftermath of this tragedy.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Amen. Yes, a very worthy organization. Thanks for the reminder, Martha. Like you, the memory of that terrible day in our history lives forever in my memory. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the very moment the first plane hit, Terri. It was my planning period at school (I was in a trailer) and I'd just dismissed my homeroom to their 1st class. I was listening to our local news station while I worked. Oh, what a shock to hear that horrific headline! I'm thankful for Frank Siller and the Tunnel to Towers Foundation; glad you knew about them!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this with us, Martha. I wasn't aware of the book, and it sounds like it would be very inspirational. I do appreciate the work Frank Siller is doing. He's helped a lot of families cope with great loss. Yes, we will never forget that day. Also, my husband's 1st cousin was killed in one of the twin towers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, Pamela, I didn't know that! How tragic! This event hurt our entire country so deeply, but none worse than those who lost loved ones on that fateful day. And to think of all the lives lost to 9/11 illnesses and the subsequent wars against terrorism touches every American life in a way none of us can forget.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. A great posting. We must remember 9/11 victims. What a tragedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Brenda Kay. We must never forget and teach this important history to our children and grandchildren.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. YEARS AGO - I did go to Europe and saw where St. Francis of Assissi - I guess you'd say - lived and preached. I really like his way of thinking.
    Don't get me started, but I feel some people have just forgotten WHO bombed us on 911. So sad. I have never heard of that organization either. I will have to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you will, Sandie! T2T has done, and continues to do, wonderful things for these families who so deserve to be treated with honor and dignity. Too many have forgotten who was responsible for those heinous acts. On a positive note, I think that's wonderful that you actually saw where St. Francis of Assissi lived and preached. What an amazing man he was!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Thank you, Martha, for this description of Tunnel to Towers. We see their ads on TV all the time, but it's good to get the background story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are an amazing organization, Barbara, and I'm so proud of all they have accomplished to help the families of first-responders and our military vets. I know my monthly contribution is going to a most worthy cause.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. What an encouraging and inspirational reminder of that awful day, Martha. And as you've seen in the responses, everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news. I was in a hotel in Anchorage, Alaska. I was thousands of miles from my family and with the airports shut down, I was stranded for days. I felt as though I ought to do something, but there was nothing I could do but add my prayers to the millions that were being offered on behalf of the families torn apart that morning. I love what Frank and all those who have joined him are doing to help so many. They are, indeed, doing good and I'm convinced that God is empowering and providing for them in this effort to do whatever they can to make life better for those who have paid such a terrible price in an effort to serve others. You have blessed us all once again, dear Sister, and have been God's instrument to multiply that compelling call, so with His help, let us all continue to "do good."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never forget where I was, either, Ron, and you certainly were left stranded for an indefinite amount of time in Anchorage. Wow! I recall just how eerie it was not hearing planes flying overhead when President Bush ordered a grounding of all aviation in the week(s) that followed. Prayers might just have been the most powerful and consequential tool any of us could use at the time; I still pray for all those who lost their loved ones as a result of this unprecedented disaster. Yes, let's join Frank and be instruments of peace and comfort as we continue to "do good" for our fellow man.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  12. We so admire Frank Siller, for the passion and dedication he's given to the development of Tunnels to Towers into a multi-million dollar enterprise. God has used him mightily as the catalyst to help thousands of people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it simply amazing, Nancy, how God can take a moment of unimaginable sacrifice and transform it into a powerful movement that has helped countless others who chose to sacrifice their lives to preserve the freedoms we cherish and enjoy each day. Danny and I have not regretted for one moment pledging money to Frank's organization, and I hope I've made others curious enough to join in with us.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  13. While I'd heard T2T, but I really had no idea about its genesis. Thank you for shedding Light on the Stiller family's sacrifice and resulting splendid Foundation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that this post fleshed out the reason that this wonderful, life-affirming foundation exists, Myra. What courage and faith it takes to be determined to turn adversity into joy for so many others just as Frank and his family have done with Tunnel to Towers. I'm so glad to play a small part.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  14. Martha, This was a beautiful heartfelt tribute to a wonderful organization that does so much good. We are aware of T2T and their work. As part of the VFW many veterans are encouraged to check them out for their needs as so many fall through the cracks. Not to mention all the first responders and essential medical personnel that responded to that horrific scene and the health complications they and their families are still living with. May we never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May we never forget, indeed, Debby. I am so gratified to know that the VFW encourages veterans to seek help from T2T as they certainly have compassion and appreciation for the sacrifices made in all sectors of service. My hope in posting this was to enlighten others as to the options they have in giving to organizations that so actively help those with the greatest needs.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. No, Jo-Anne, it doesn't, yet I wish it had never happened. Still, good things can rise from evil acts, God willing.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  16. This post tells me lots of precious and important things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a heartfelt post, Martha. Like you, I remember the day vividly. This sounds like a wonderful book and I love the ministry of Tunnel to Towers Foundation. They continue to help so many injured and the families of the fallen heroes that day. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunnel to Towers is such an admirable ministry, Karen, I couldn't agree more. I'm enjoying the book which is full of so many stories of those people who have been helped over the years by this foundation. I can't believe it's been 25 years since the towers fell.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  18. Perfect conclusion: “Let us do good while we can.” Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. ~Genesis 50:20

    While we have time, let us do good. ~St. Francis of Assissi

    Perfect paring of the quotes from scripture and St. Francis for this post. Thank you for this inspiring message - I had not heard any of this. I do, however, remember well the horror of 9/11.

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words here, Debra. This foundation is definitely a worthy one to support and the book just reinforces the reasons why. No one in our generation will ever forget, will we?
      Blessings!

      Delete
  20. I didn’t know the story behind T2T until now.
    Thank you for sharing it so clearly.
    It’s amazing how Stephen’s sacrifice sparked something that continues to help families and veterans today.
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Blessings, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could spread the good news about T2T, Veronica. Truly, the foundation embodies the "let us do good" slogan at every turn.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  21. I didn't know the story of the T2T founder. I think there will be many stories of parents sharing the lives of their grown children who gave their lives for other. 25 years already? it feels like it just happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Susan. It doesn't seem possible that it's been 25 years since this tragedy occurred. Our generation will never forget, but we need to teach our grandchildren about what really happened and why. I am hoping that this post will be a wake-up call for many.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  22. Dear Martha, may we never forget the tragic 😥 events of 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This really makes me think about how grief can become a place where love takes on a new shape. We can’t undo what happened, but we can choose what we do with the life and opportunities still given to us. That little sentence, “while we have time,” feels especially powerful here. None of us knows how much time we have, so doing good now matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does matter, Aritha. May all of us do the good God wants us to while we are here on earth. None of us can possibly know the day or the hour when we will be called home.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  24. I was not familiar with this book/foundation. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that I could acquaint you with them, Jean.
      Blessings!

      Delete

Standing in the Need of Prayer

  Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous person is powerfu...