Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Go Ahead: Make My Day!

Matthew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

When was the last time you said, "That made my day!"? Was it when your spouse surprised you with a bouquet of flowers or an unexpected gift? Your child took his first steps? You got that promotion you were hoping for? The test results for cancer came back negative? These are but a few examples of grand and glorious things which happen in our lives that genuinely make our day, but I believe we can, and need to, feel this way about the small gestures we make toward and receive from others in our ordinary, day-to-day existence. When we become focused on treating others the way we would like to be treated, seemingly insignificant overtures will, delightfully, take on a whole new meaning. Let me illustrate this by using the example of my weekly trip to the grocery store. Ready to go shopping?

As I pull out of the driveway and begin winding along the roads in my neighborhood, I spy a lady walking her two dogs. I don't know her, but I smile and wave anyway. When I get to the main road, I see a car waiting to merge into the line of traffic; I slow and signal the driver to pull out in front of me. I arrive at the grocery store, park my car, and begin walking toward the doors. This is when the smiles begin in earnest. Yes, I smile at perfect strangers, strike up conversations while waiting at the deli, stop moms with their babies so I can admire and compliment, exchange greetings and, often, full-blown conversations with the managers and staff at the store, let the other shopper go first if we are about to collide at the corner of an aisle, ask any bewildered-looking customer if I can be of help, and allow someone with fewer item to jump ahead of me in the check-out line. I treat others how I wish to be treated. Whether I know if I made anyone's day by showing kindness doesn't matter. What matters is, by doing so, I've made mine.

What can you do to "make your day" today?

Readings
Psalms 97, 99, (100) or 94, 95
2 Chronicles 29:1-3; 30:1 (2-9) 10-27
1 Corinthians 7:32-40
Matthew 7:1-12

16 comments:

  1. Listening to my kids and hubby, giving them the attention they need. A kind word with the maid...wishing the watchman...just a few of the things which I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convicted! Needed that. Thanks, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Janu and Hank!

    @Janu - perfect things to do that make their day better and yours, too!
    @Hank - So glad this filled a need for you today!

    God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Good reminders to start off the day -- Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! This is the way we should all live. It's the little things in life that make up the big picture. (oh, there's a quote!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha:
    Always do this.
    --I let cars ahead of me in traffic.
    --I smile at people and say hello.

    I think that's why people w/o the Happy Gene gravitate to those who have it. They're looking for it themselves.

    Good stuff!
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great encouragement Martha thank you. You never know where simple gestures may lead, friendship?, opportunity to witness?, someone coming to know God closer than ever before? all because we did small and simple things with great love!! Thanks Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and a learning tool !! We notice that when we are out photographing nature in a place far from people and we meet others on the trail or at the location they will return a smile and a hello even look you in the eye more so in the city!!! Always wondered why?

    All of these images were taken over a few nights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Its so important to recognise those small moments in life. I just had one. It was first day of work for young junior in the gym. I was there for meeting. At end of his shift, he walked over to me while i was on gym floor, grabbed me by my hand, shook it, and said thank you so much for this opportunity, i won't let you or me down. 18 years old and a gentlemn. Thats todays moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm overwhelmed by all your kind comments and feedback today, my friends! Thank you for your wonderful encouragement and for sharing your "make my day" moments here.
    Blessings to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martha this was a great post...A smile does go a long way. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How simple can it get? *smile*....
    and the world smiles with you.
    Not always, but most of the time.
    Martha, you make my day often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marth!! This made my evening...which is part of the day!! :-))

    I love the ease and simplicity of your writings! Blessings to ya!

    Brother Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Savira and Debra: "Smile though your heart is aching,smile even though it's breaking;
    when there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by.
    If you smile through your fear and sorrow
    Smile, and maybe tomorrow,
    You'll see the sun come shining through, for you. . ."
    He always shines His light when our eyes are opened to see it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bernie, to know that my writing brings ease and joy to you, is so sustaining for me. I cannot do anything other than what my God requires: To do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with Him; that is all I want. That is all I need.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...