Sunday, September 25, 2011

On Board With the Lord

Luke 5:5
Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."

Last week, I was watching a video posted by a Facebook friend which included this quote from Albert Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results". I would have to wholeheartedly agree. Let's take using the dishwasher for example. If I placed dishes in the washer without rinsing them first and they did not come out clean, I would be foolish to try that again expecting crystal clear glassware or shining plates. Or, how about the washing machine? If I did laundry, forgetting to add detergent, and then wondered why the clothes didn't smell fresh, why would I ever run a load without my trusty Gain again? I'd end up with the same result: wet, not clean, clothes.

In today's verse, Peter and his crew epitomize Einstein's saying: all night long, again and again, they continued to cast their nets into the sea only to realize the same disappointing outcome - no fish! It is early morning, and Jesus climbs into Peter's boat to distance Himself physically from the surging crowd who have come to hear Him teach. When He finishes, Jesus directs Peter back into the deep water and orders him to throw out the nets again. I can hear the whine in Peter's voice when he protests, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything", yet he chooses to obey, thinking maybe, just maybe, with the Lord on board, the results will be different . . . JACKPOT!!! Their nets are suddenly teeming with so many fish, they are at the breaking point and help from other boats near by is required to handle and bring in the glorious catch.

When we try to go our own way, not seeking God's guidance in all that we do, we, too, illustrate Einstein's observation. We can aspire to be good, but we'll never be good enough. We can love others, but incompletely if we don't acknowledge that we love because He first loved us. We can strive for completeness, but never attain the perfection of being in the Lord. And who, without the Savior, can be saved?

Before you set sail on the journey that is today, invite the Lord on board with you. If you let Him steer the course, you're bound for smooth sailing!

Readings
Psalms 66, 67 or 19, 46
2 Kings 17:1-18
Acts 9:36-43
Luke 5:1-11

3 comments:

  1. Gotta tell you that I've been watching a video series by Andy Stanley called Go Fish in which he talks about this very story. He adds a few details that I think really make the situation even more amazing. He points out that Jesus is asking Peter to do something that seems really ridiculous. They have just spent all night fishing (the prime time to catch fish really) and now Jesus is asking them to try again in the middle of the day (when you wouldn't expect to catch fish anyway). It is right after this amazing catch that Jesus asks Peter to follow him and become 'fishers of men'. To me, part of the message here is to expect the unexpected when you follow the Lord. Look for the miracle in the ordinary... it can happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment, Lynne! Yes, when we follow Him, there are miracles around every corner - how I'm loving this adventure called life!
    God bless, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are to lean on him, not just when times are hard but when times are good as well. When times are good with the grace of God, our cup is full to over flowing to give to others that are depleted.

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...