Friday, June 21, 2013

Seeking Shelter from the Storm


Luke 8:24
The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we are going to drown!"  He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm.

"Time to hit the bunker!"  Danny shouts as we scramble for flashlights and purses, and head for the basement of our house.  The storm is upon us!  Barreling down the stairs, we hear a roar of wind and a deafening crash beside our home.  The earth shudders.

What fell???  Large limbs?  An entire tree?

Darkness!  The power is out!  Flashlights provide comforting beams, helping us to find the battery-powered lantern which we keep our laundry room, our underground safe-place when the southern spring storms hit.

We hunker down.  We can hear the rain pummeling the windows and roof.  Lightning flashes and thunder booms like a hundred cannons.  But, the wind has already passed by, flying on to wreak havoc upon our neighbors.  To leave a tell-tale trail of debris in its wake.

Thankfully, the lights flicker back on.  We breathe a sigh of relief, but are left wondering about the damages inflicted upon our forest.  There isn't much we can properly assess as it is growing darker and the rain continues to pour.

In sharp contrast to the night before, the next day dawns sunny and clear.  I take my camera out into our yard to capture images the war zone.


Our deck is one heck of a mess!



Look at all these leaves smothering the moss.






The wind ripped through our tulip poplar, scattering limbs like matchsticks.




But, it's this poor pine tree which suffered the most . . .

And, looking at all this damage, I say a prayer of thanks that we and our home were spared from harm.

Travelling  along this journey called life, we are guaranteed to go through any number of storms.  As Pastor Wallace is fond of telling us, "Sometimes, God reaches down and calms the storms in my life; other times, He says, 'Wallace, this is a good storm.  Let's ride it out together.'"

We are reminded here that no matter what storms we face, Jesus is always there with us.  He is the shelter we seek.  The safe harbor.  The hand holding ours.

We are never alone in our trials and troubles.  If we trust in the Lord, allow Him to carry us, those threatening, raging storms will eventually subside, and all will be calm.

~

Are you facing a "storm" in your life today?

Will you pray with me?
We thank You, Father, for walking with us through the storms of life.  You give us hope and courage and strength when we can find none in ourselves.  When we trust You, we can know that nothing which happens to us on earth will ever separate us from Your great love.  Amen.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,

    thanks for this post and the prayer at the end.
    I'm definitely going through a storm right now.Not that I'd feel bed,but I've got so many things to do.I hope Jesus is with me.

    I wish you a nice weekend :o)!

    God bless you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I pray you will feel His presence with you, Jasmina! Thanks so much for visiting and for sharing your thoughts.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Martha, you know how I always enjoy reading your posts, although I am so behind these days LOL. Thank you for sharing this story. So many times we find ourselves in the middle of a life 'storm' and try to handle it on our own, forgetting that Jesus has our hand through it all. He is always there as He has promised that He will never leave us or forsake us. It is in the times of the storm, that we need to call on Him with all of our heart and allow Him to carry us and keep us safe ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Mary! It's always wonderful to see you here.
      Yes, sometimes in the storms, we flail and wallow on our own instead of turning to Jesus at the first sign of rain. Something we all need to remember to do!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Martha - Just what I needed to hear today! What a wonderful reminder that days like today are only a squall. Time to grab my life jacket and hang on!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lori, and so glad this was what you needed today. God is so good, isn't He? :)
      If we let Jesus be our life-jacket, we can press on through any storm.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. A very encouraging post. I always loved that story of Jesus, who fell asleep during the storm, knowing all would be alright, only to be awoken by the frantic voices and pleas from his traveling companions. I can almost see the amused expression on his face at viewing their panic, thinking to himself, ha! If they only knew who they were traveling with. ;)

    Loved the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you dropped by, Jessica, and that you found the message encouraging.
      Yes, like you, I've always imagined Jesus rubbing His sleepy eyes and wondering, "What's all the fuss?" It never ceases to amaze me how long it took His disciples to "catch on" to whom they were with, but then, I have to remind myself that we have the privilege of seeing the whole story in hind-sight. :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. Yes Martha I was facing a storm.. but then He hugged me tightly and quietly held me till the storm passed away...

    HUGS <3

    Thanks for this lovely post..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad to here that, Privy! I sensed from your recent posts that something was up. So happy the Lord has seen you through and into the calm again.
      Thanks so much for visiting!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. So grateful that you are all safe. It must have been so frightening. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Janu, it really was scary at the time! Thanks so much for visiting and for the hugs!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. That must have been some experience, Martha. So glad you all are safe.
    I so get what you mean about God holding through the storms - He doesn't stop them but helps them to face them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you dropped by, Corinne! I've missed you here!
      Yes, it was a pretty harrowing experience all the way around, but that we all made it through safely is all that matters.
      And, so glad God is always with us through the storms fo life.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. THank you Martha for this post and glad to hear you are safe. It's usually during these storms we cry out to God more. But what if we could live with more of God's presence in our life, during non-stormy weather as well:) ? Easier to call out to God during the storms but I need to call out to Him even with blue skies and pleasant weather.

    I would have sighed a big sigh of relief when the electricity and lights came back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vishnu, you are so right! As the old saying goes, there are no atheists in foxholes. We do call on God in times of trouble, but it is more important, in my book, to thank Him daily, in good times and in bad. I have learned so much from this practice, and am still learning, trusting that He will bring me, one day, to perfect, storm-less peace.
      Thanks so much for visiting, my friend!
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  9. I am also glad that you are safe...I couldn't imagine such storms in my place ~ oh, but three storms passed by last week in my country. We haven't felt it as much except for the floods...

    I love what Pastor Wallace shared, "Sometimes, God reaches down and calms the storms in my life; other times, He says, 'Wallace, this is a good storm. Let's ride it out together.'"

    Wow! I'll set this frame of mind in mine ~ to enjoy the storm is so different altogether...

    I love that perspective...

    I pray with you... Lord, Your mind is beyond us but help us to trust always in You and Your great power... to 'sleep over' a storm and to remain at peace because You are always here.

    Lots of love Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, dear Melissa!
      I'm glad we are safe, too. It was quite the harrowing experience.
      And, I'm glad you have taken what Pastor Wallace said to heart - it's been my favorite ever since I first heard it. Just knowing Jesus is with us in every storm we face gives me such comfort!
      Thank you for sharing in prayer with me. Know I am praying for you!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...