Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Canon of Grace


Galatians 2:20-21
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

I am watching a touching video shared by a Facebook friend when I notice that my husband, Danny, has drawn close to watch with me.  As I turn toward him, out of the corner of my eye, I spy a wrapped package sitting on our dining room table.  It is my son, Daniel's, birthday today, and my first reaction is to assume Danny has added yet another gift to those we've already given him.

I am wrong.

When I inquire about it, Danny says, "It's something for you."

"But it's not my birthday," I counter.  "Why a gift?"

"Why not?"  Danny asks.  "Can't I give you something just because?"

The tears already generated by the moving video no flow even more freely at the unexpected delight and anticipation of what could possibly lay beneath the festive wrappings.  But it's the note from Danny that I read before opening the gift that frees the flood gates.

You will say that I shouldn't have bought you anything, you don't need this, but it isn't about any of that stuff.  It's about thanking you for all you have done since last March.  You gave up vacation, you tended to me in two hospitals, you drove my car down a four-lane highway, you stayed by yourself under duress in a strange city in a strange hotel, you were brave during surgeries, you were my doctor and gave me meds.  You were there through everything, so yes, you deserve this.  I love you so much for who you are every day.  I'll explain the gift when you open it, but actually you DO need this and deserve this.  I couldn't find a card that said what I wanted to, so better to simply write this note.
Best of my love,
Danny

Okay, I'm breaking the Guiness Book of World Records in how many tissues can be used up in a minute.  How could I have possibly done, with God's help all the way, anything less than what I did for this man I love and treasure?  There is no gift necessary.  None deserved!  What can this gift possibly be?

Time to open and discover . . .



A Canon camera!!!  Lightweight, easy to use from the get-go, and incredible zoom lens power for all those wildlife shots I've been longing to take!  What a welcome reprieve from my limited phone camera!

An undeserved gift, no matter what Danny declares.

And God's grace is like that.

It is not a gift to be set aside, but opened joyfully and expectantly.

It is not a gift to be taken lightly, because we know the sacrificial gift of Christ Jesus who love us and offered Himself for us, once and for all, without reservation.

It's a gift that cannot be earned, no matter how hard we try.

And no law, nor effort on our part, can alter its redeeming power.

Will you accept God's gift of grace?

Embrace it?

And know it is by grace alone that you are saved.

Amen!

~

The zoom lens proves to be absolutely amazing!  Of course, Racer informs me, on no uncertain terms, that our backyard squirrels should be the subjects of my first photo shoot.  Enjoy!







22 comments:

  1. Wonderful gift! Wonderful message! And Racer says Wonderful pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill! So glad both you and Racer approve. :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! The gift from a husband's heart, as well as the gift from a Father's heart. Tears aren't a bad thing either. Blessings to you today, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Paul - tears are not always a bad thing, not at all. So grateful for my husband and for God's amazing grace!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Great photos! My favorite is the middle of the five close ups. And what a sweet story. Danny is right--you were a superhero during all that. And you are right about grace--it is never earned but is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Galen! Yes, that photo is my favorite, too. It shows such personality!
      Yes, I'm most fortunate to have Danny in my life - sometimes, I think I don't deserve such love, and I deserve God's grace even less, but that doesn't stop either of them from giving it!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! What a precious heartfelt gift from your husband! It brought tears to my eyes to read the special note from your husband, what a beautiful thoughtful gift for you, something you will get so much enjoyment from! I love the pictures of the squirrels, and the detail in the pictures, so wonderful! And yes, just like grace, the blessings of the Lord are rich and overflowing in our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marilyn, I'm very much looking forward to years of enjoyment with this camera. I've always longed for a zoom lens, and just can't believe I finally have one!
      So flattered, since you are an awesome photographer, that you liked the squirrel photos. I must confess, I doctored them up just a bit in photoshop, but the camera didn't make too much tweaking necessary.
      And God's grace, like rain, falls down on each and every one of us!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. Martha, This is an amazing illustration of grace--God's grace. You're new camera (very deserved, Danny is correct) takes amazing photos. Squirrels, with the right camera, are quite photogenic. I'm thinking Racer would heartily agree! :)

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Racer would be very pleased, Kim - LOL! And I'm gratified that you saw this post as a good illustration of God's grace; that was the point I hoped to make!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. Oh, the note! The gift! The love!

    What a beautiful day it is here in your sweet space, friend. I am just so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! Yes, all were amazing and beautiful and undeserved, just like God's grace.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. Martha, what a beautiful post. I love your tie of Danny's precious note to scripture. What he wrote brought tears to my eyes.
    And how appropriate that Racer made his way into the first photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Beckie, it's highly appropriate that Racer influenced my first choice in photos. He is a clever squirrel, indeed! :)
      And I'm touched that Danny's note and the link to God's grace brought tears to your eyes. I always pray that my posts will reach others for God's glory.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. OH how exciting!! I am so happy for you...and can't wait to see all the new pictures you will discover around you every day in your own part of the "Glade"...What a wonderful gift...and such very sweet thoughts from your hubby. That was truly precious. Got me crying too. Love this so much. THank you for sharing it with us...and Racer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Racer does like to share, Pamela, and so do I when it comes to sharing God's tremendous gift of grace.
      I look forward to using this camera each and every day that I can. I always love the photos you share on your blog, and from what I can tell, your camera is about the same size as mine. I know I have lots of details to work out in the department of REALLY KNOWING HOW TO USE IT, but am absolutely thrilled and overwhelmed by this undeserved gift.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your great info, the article are quiet interesting.I will be waiting for your next post....! Orlando House Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Anne, and leaving a comment here.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. Not deserved, but freely and lovingly given. So beautiful! Thank you, Martha, and enjoy that camera! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freely and lovingly given, indeed, Jason. I'm so grateful!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  11. wow what a neat surprise and fun to see squirrel photos too. Danny is a very special man - you are special too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, he is one special guy! I'm so enjoying my new camera, Jean.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...