Friday, March 1, 2019

God Will Do the Rest


2 Kings 12:15
They did not require an accounting from those to whom they gave the money to pay the workers, because they acted with complete honesty.

Ephesians 4:25
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.

Recently, I notice that when my car accelerates to 50 mph, there's a slight shimmying in the vehicle.  "Tires are out of balance," my husband, Danny, concludes.  "Before you take that trip to your Mom's, run the car up to the place where we got your tires last year.  They'll adjust it for free."

Free sounds good to me, especially since my bank account has just been walloped by a dental bill regarding four new crowns.  Ouch!  So I resolve to get my car to the shop post haste.

While I'm waiting, and it is a long wait, for the technicians to address my car's problem, the amicable customer service manager approaches, and takes a seat next to me.  The next thing I'm hearing is that the battery needs replacing.  Really???  I'm stumped as we just had the battery changed out last spring, but thinking it could be possible, as I know next to nothing about cars, I give the go-ahead.

$109.00 . . . So much for free.

But a niggling in my mind says to text Danny about this new development.  "No!  Don't get one!  We have a warranty from Auto Zone that's still in effect.  They'll replace it for nothing."  Whew!  I had no idea.

So I get the manager's attention, and politely explain the situation.  He assures me that it's no problem, and he fully understands.  Yes!  Now I'll let Danny drive my car to Auto Zone when I get home so they can test the battery and replace it if necessary.

When Danny returns home, I can tell he's incensed.  "I watched the technician check your battery.  It's perfectly fine!  They were trying to scam you, Martha.  Well, this much is for sure, we're never darkening the door of that tire place again!"

Now it's my turn to be ticked off.  How dare that manager try to pull the wool over my eyes!  Just because I'm a woman, there by myself, he assumes, and rightly so, that I'm clueless when it comes to car repair.  And he underhandedly tries to take advantage of me?  Needless to say, I feel hurt and disappointed by this man's behavior.

Did the business need the money so much, it was worth deceiving a customer?  To actually lie about a need that didn't exist, only to line the company's pockets?  Where are honesty and truth?

Obviously, non-existent at this establishment.

After I cool down a bit though, I find myself feeling sorry for this man.  I doubt that he is a faithful and practicing Christian if he imagines this kind of behavior to be acceptable.  So I pray for him.

Yes, Danny and I could have both marched down to the tire store and reamed this guy out, but then, we would be betraying our own beliefs in mercy, love and grace.

No, prayer is what this fellow needs.

And I can be assured that God will do the rest.

Amen!


25 comments:

  1. "I doubt that he is a faithful and practicing Christian ..."

    The thing is, Martha, I doubt that many people these days are practicing Christians. Even those who say they are Christians and attend church every Sunday. (I know some such people).

    " ... our own beliefs in mercy, love and grace."

    And this too is very difficult. I often find myself reacting in a most un-Christian way to some situations. I understand what you say, Martha, but often prayers are the last thing on my mind. Maybe I am just as bad a Christian as those I speak of.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be so hard on yourself, Victor. Remember, I was really angry about this, and was so tempted to "ream" the guy out. I had to ask God's help to get my attitude straight.
      And yes, some of the worst treatment I've endured has come from those folks who profess that they are Christians. Why is it so hard for so many to take Jesus at His word, and live as He would want us to? I suppose it's the constant battle with sin that weakens our resolve at times. We so need the Lord's forgiveness, and we need to forgive others.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of Racer๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿฟ️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Marla! That's a good one, my friend.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. I suspect the guy is paid a commission for sales. Thus the need to sell parts unnecessarily. We all have to live with our choices, but integrity seems to be woefully in short supply these days.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great observation, Loralu, and most likely what made this man act this way. Sadly, integrity is in short supply in these times, and that so grieves my heart.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. We go through this every time we go to get our oil changed at one of those oil change places. They always say we need to replace this or that, but we always say thank you, but no thanks. I have learned to do that when I go alone, or I say, "I'll let my husband know about it. Thank you." Even if I didn't have a husband at home, I would still say that, just so they know I am not going to be bamboozled. Yes, they are paid by commission on how many other things they can add on to make the sale. Sorry, folks...I'm on a fixed income!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good advice, Pamela, and I'll do the same thing from now on. I don't know why, given how long I've lived, why I tend to believe the best about people, because in so many circumstances, that can be a mistake. Lesson learned!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. I wish I might say I'm surprised. I sure appreciate your attitude … but would it be unchristian to leave an honest review on Yelp -- perhaps to save another gullible party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to wish you a VERY Happy Birthday … I hope it's super special

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the birthday wishes, Mevely! That's a thought about the Yelp review. I'll pray about it for sure.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. Martha, it sounds like you handled this situation well. It's so sad when others behave in unethical ways. Non-Christians and Christians alike behave in ways that are just not nice.

    Yes, God will have the last word in situations like this, it's best that we put it in His capable hands (this isn't easy). It's frightening to consider that one day we'll all be held accountable for what we've done or not done.

    Love and blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the knowledge that we will all be held accountable for what we've done or left undone can be unnerving to say the least. Thank goodness for God's grace and forgiveness through Jesus!
      As folks mentioned in other comments, it could be the company rewards employees who push additional goods on the customers. Still, even if that's the case, it's a highly unethical practice when nothing new is needed.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. I agree with you and everyone. You handled it the only way we Christians should... with prayer and forgiveness. BUT... you sure don't have to go back there anymore either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Terri, you're absolutely correct - we can take our business elsewhere from now on. No more spoons need to be stirring the pot. We need to be examples of Christ's love in all that we do.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. I can honestly say that I would not have taken it as well. I would have first ask for an explanation and determine if it perhaps was an oversight or perhaps a bad tester. I would have asked the battery to be retested with me watching. The outcome would have likely determined where the rest of the conversation went. I wouldn't have stewed long, but I would confront.

    That being said... I appreciate your heart and the ability to rise above it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan, truthfully, if it had been Danny there instead of me, his reaction would have been exactly like yours. With me not able to "read" a battery charge, to have done so at that moment would have been wasted time.
      Yes, I did feel hurt and indignant, as I mentioned above, but God gave me a good lesson on the importance of allowing my feelings to cool down before making a final move. Hope I don't forget that lesson anytime soon!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  9. I hate it that it is way too often true that women are taken advantage of. But shops like this take advantage of men & women, especially older folks. I think your attitude is right but I would also never go back there again. After I calmed down I would then either write a letter to the manager or talk to him personally as to why you are not returning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Bill, about writing a letter or telling the manager in person why we won't be back. Taking advantage of folks, especially the elderly, really gets on my nerves and under my skin, I'll have to admit. Many times, I worry about my own mother getting scammed, but since she is surrounded by a community of caring friends, I pray that never happens.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. I love your sweet, Christlike spirit, Martha. Our truck is in the shop right now, and my husband and I feel like we may be being scammed. Unfortunately, it is a situation where neither of us know what else to do, so we are trusting God to protect us and provide. He is ever faithful. So wonderful to visit with you today, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Cheryl, I do hope the folks at the repair shop will give you a fair shake! There's nothing worse than folks who take advantage of our ignorance about cars to take us for a "ride," so to speak. Let me know how it turns out!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  11. I hear you, Martha! I have fallen prey to the same tactic, and because I did not have a "Danny" to check with, I ended up getting things done I didn't need.

    But here is another story you might enjoy. In a conversation with an insurance adjuster about whether certain car repairs were covered by warranty, a man (yes, it was a man) was explaining to me how the language of a particular clause in the warranty did not cover the repair. To me, it clearly did, so I politely persisted.

    Finally, he chuckled in condescending way, and told me "well, you have to be a lawyer to understand this language."

    To which I replied, "Well this is your lucky day because I am not only a lawyer, I am a contracts lawyer. Let me help you understand this clause."

    I got the repairs done under the warranty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Galen, that's a fantastic story!!! Yes, you were able to stick it to him in a calm, professional way. How perfect is that? Thanks for sharing your experience here, my friend. (Maybe I need to take you with me next time around? LOL!)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Well, I'm no good at figuring out what is wrong with the car, that's for sure. But once they identified the problem, I could figure out whether it was covered by the warranty. So I'm not really much help in the situation you described. And in fact, just last year bought a car battery I didn't need in circumstances similar to yours! Maybe we should both always take Danny along!!

      Delete
    3. Yes, perhaps we should! Or, we can climb out of our comfort zones and take more time to learn about cars. NOT! :) Sometimes, our personal experts provide the answers we need.

      Delete

Our Grand Grands

  Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children. ~Proverbs 17:6 Every year that our family vi...