Monday, August 31, 2020

I Want to See a Rainbow!



Genesis 9:11
I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

Isn't this rainbow spectacular?  My daughter, Sarah, snaps it from their backyard in South Carolina, and promptly sends it to me.  It isn't often that we see an arc as perfect as this one, with its "twin" shadowed above it.  Whenever I am blessed to see a rainbow, I'm always reminded of God's eternal covenant promise to us.

When our oldest granddaughter, Virginia, is little, she is fascinated by rainbows.  Every time she would sit down with paper and a box of crayons, I could bet dollars to donuts that a picture of a rainbow would emerge.  She must have drawn dozens of them, but I could only find this one in my collection of her art work to show you.  These were created when she was six-years-old.



I share with Virginia, when she is only four, the story in the Bible where the rainbow becomes God's sign of promise never again to destroy the earth by a flood.  She is duly impressed, her eyes widening with new wonder.

"Gammie," she says, "I want to see a rainbow.  Will you take me to see a rainbow one day?"

I chuckle at this.  "If I could, I would, Virginia.  But rainbows happen when we least expect them.  We simply have to be in the right place at the right time."

"And what's the right time and place?"  she queries.

"When the skies are clearing after a rainstorm, but it's still raining.  The sun shines on those raindrops and presto!  You have a rainbow!"

Virginia sighs.  "I still wish I could see one today."

"I know you do," I say.  "But keep hoping, honey, and one day down the road, it will happen.  Just have faith."

Virginia may have had to wait six years for her wish to be fulfilled, but when it finally is, what a splendid reward for her!  She is beside herself with awe and excitement, and tells me so herself in a text.  I ask her if she recalls what she longed for so many moons ago, and of course, she does.  What a memory she has!

So, my friends, if you feel in these troubled times that the storms are relentlessly gathered around you, dark and menacing, I pray you will cling to the hope of the rainbow's eventual manifestation, bright and beckoning, bold and colorful.

Our heavenly reminder of God's perpetual promises and His unfailing presence in our lives.

He answered Virginia's prayer, and He will answer yours.

Amen!




28 comments:

  1. Ohh so cute ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›Regards!!๐ŸŒˆ

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful lesson to learn! You "done good Gammie." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill. It's a lesson all of us can learn together.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. I needed that.

    God bless you and your family, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post brought you some cheer, Victor. We can all use more of that!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. What a sweet, beautiful story and a such gorgeous rainbow photo too. This is a very comforting post as well. Have a blessed week Martha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the story and the photo, Martha, and that you found some comfort in it.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. "When we least expect them." Oh, I love this so much! Color me, clinging to that hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will color you like a rainbow, Mevely, as you never let go of that hope.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful lesson on waiting for amazing gifts from God, like a rainbow after a storm.

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God does promise the rainbow after the rain, Kim, and we must be faithful in believing that will happen as it will with all His gifts.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. ....and that is why rainbows make us feel the excitement and joy when we see one. This is one of my favorites. Thank you. Love and rainbows to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Nells, I'm so glad you shared your personal emotions of excitement and joy when you view a rainbow! Seeing one never fails to fill me with awe and wonder, and a good dose of humility, too.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. A great lesson and reminder, Martha Jane. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So gratified that you enjoyed the message here, Terri. May we always be on the lookout for the rainbow!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  9. Oh what a beautiful story! I'm so happy they shared their rainbow with you. And yes, God remembers His promises to us and He will not fail us. We just have to be patient and wait for His perfect timing. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's perfect timing is always a promise in which we can hope, Pamela. So glad you share the excitement of the rainbow, when God answers prayers!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. This post made me smile, Martha. I love the reminder of God's promises.
    Blessings to you and those precious ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so heartened by the fact this post made you smile, Beckie! We all need to wear more of those these days.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  11. Oh to live our lives with the joy, wonder, hope, and expectation of a child Ms. Martha. Perhaps that why Christ mentioned the little children so often in His teachings. Thank you for sharing a wonderful blessing with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's exactly why Jesus mentioned the little children so often, J. D. Their joy and wonder cannot be matched; and we need to be more eager to tap into our inner child when seeing this world.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  12. Oh, Martha! Your precious words brought me to tears! I needed this today. Your conversation with little Virginia was so sweet, and I am so thankful she got to witness this and see that dream fulfilled all these years later. It is so sweet that she remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post moved you today, Cheryl, and that it was just what you needed. God is so good that way! I can't begin to tell you how many times I've read friends' blog where the message touches me deeply.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  13. Rainbows happen when we least expect them, wow love this line, Such hope and encouragement. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post, Jean!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful rainbow picture that Sarah sent you! Of course nothing beats the hand-drawn pictures by your granddaughter though. Precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Lisa - nothing beats the hand-drawn picture by Virginia. I'll always treasure it!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

Keep Calm and Pray

  As they sailed, he fell asleep.  A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.  The d...