Friday, March 3, 2017

Water, Water Everywhere . . .


John 4:10
Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

Water.

It is an absolute essential for life on earth, and something that too many of us, who enjoy its clean refreshment at the touch of a tap, take for granted.

I am in the habit of consuming a generous amount of water daily, but never question the quality of its contents until my chiropractor brings it to my attention.  I will benefit, he assures me, if the water I'm drinking is alkaline, not acidic, and he highly doubts my tap water fits the bill.

When I relate the price of acquiring a system to turn water alkaline, my husband, Danny, decides to take matters into his own hands.  He orders a PH kit so we can test the water for ourselves.  And miracle of miracles, when we do, we discover our water is perfectly alkaline!  No need for expensive equipment at the Orlando Compound!

But our water testing doesn't end here.  A survey we take recently at our local big box store leads to a call from a water quality professional, who offers to meet with us and assess our water for free.  (Of course, they are hoping we'll buy what they're selling.  They haven't met Danny.)

While the expert corroborates that our tap water is indeed alkaline, her test reveals something that Danny and I find most disturbing.  Although, she assures us, the level is still withing EPA guidelines, our water contains an over-abundance of chlorine.  Not good!!!  Hey, if I want to drink chlorinated water, I'll sign up for the pool at the Y.

But a bit of internet research reveals a quick and easy way to remove chlorine from tap water.  You fill as many containers as possible with water, and allow them to "rest" for twenty-four hours.  The chlorine naturally evaporates.  And lo and behold, when we test the water after the recommended time period, it is as clean and fresh as promised.



Still, ridding ourselves of this impurity leaves us wondering what other nefarious substances might be lurking in our otherwise seemingly harmless tap water.  After careful research, Danny purchases the GoProPur, a gravity-powered water filtration system.  Compared to other devices, this one is reasonably affordable, doesn't require frequent filter changes, and rates an "Excellent" from an independent reviewer.  If you would like to see all the nasty elements this system eliminates from drinking water, check it out  here. 



Now we can rest assured that the water we drink and cook with is the purest, most pristine we could ever hope for.  And although it truly enhances the taste of our morning coffee, it's amazing how crisp and refreshing it is all on its own.

Sometimes, until you taste the best, you don't know what you've been missing.


~

While we had to jump through many hoops to cleanse our water supply, I am so grateful for the Living Water Jesus freely offers us each and every day.  It needs no fancy filters, no PH or chlorine tests.  This water is the purest of the pure, poured out in endless supply, guaranteed to quench every soul who thirsts after righteousness.

Have you partaken of the Living Water Jesus is offering today?

Come!  Taste the best!

And know that the Lord is good!

Amen!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, please give me this living water that I may never thirst again! I love that story of the woman at the well...one of my most favorite. Your home water story is quite interesting as well. I assume you have well water? We do too...and currently do not have any filtration system, etc. It is mostly sulphuric to the taste and smell, unless you let it sit in the refrigerator to cool...and then it is very sweet. Also boiling for tea and coffee is very good. But most people don't like the smell of our water from the tap, so we keep bottled water on hand for them. Someday I hope to get a filtration system that is affordable. Meanwhile, Yes, I am so thankful for the Living Water that Jesus gives us...and you are right...it doesn't need any filter...it is perfect just as it is! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pam, the story of the woman at the well has always been a favorite of mine, too. I love that Jesus accepts her on so many levels, knowing her past sins, her being ostracized by her own community, and a Samaratan WOMAN to beat all!
      No, our water comes from our county, and is supposed to be treated for all sorts of impurities. Well, come to find out, not! And I'm very familiar with that sulfur taste in water that one gets along the coast. When we visit Brunswick or Jekyll Island, I have to drink bottled water as my taste buds won't allow me to do otherwise.
      And thank goodness our Jesus is perfect just the way He is!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Martha, oh for living water--water that will never, ever run out. Living water from Jesus is the best! I was singing early this morning part of the old hymn "Fill My Cup Lord"--the full version--not the chorus that is in some hymnals.

    You post is the second I've read today on the woman at the well. Hmm...what on earth is the Lord up to with me? :)

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me wonder, too, Kim! So many times, when I encounter a repeated passage from Scripture, God is, indeed, trying to tell me something important, something I may have overlooked. Perhaps it's a good time to pray over that.
      And that Living Water? Who could ask for anything more? What a gift Jesus had at the ready for the woman at the well and has ready for us, too, any time we ask.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Hi Martha! You really went the extra mile to be sure your water was safe, which is so good. We have a filter for our water too, although it's not as complete as yours I'm sure.
    Jesus gives us the water of eternity, always pure, always enough. On earth, we will have challenges and problems, but with him? Always the clear and pure. What a joy that is.
    How is your shoulder and neck these days? Mine is finally starting to calm down, praise the Lord. It makes me so happy to know that he is in control.
    Wishing you a blessed Sunday,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neck and shoulder are much better, Ceil, and I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend, too. Thanks for asking!
      And yes, like you, I'm so grateful for the clear, pure, always enough Living Water that Jesus gives to us. Knowing He is in charge of things has certainly helped me get through the aches, pains, and the cold/cough which has only recently abated. In all that happens, I'm learning still to trust in God's perfect timing.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. We are blessed with good water here in Portland, but I do have a filter for drinking water that I use most of the time. I was thinking about water this weekend up at the cabin. I remember my backpacking days in the high Colorado Rockies and the Kenai Penninsula in Alaska. We often drank from rushing streams, confident in the purity. These days I wouldn't do that. I look at the beautiful creek in front of the cabin and wonder what is in that water. You have inspired me to get it tested--just to see, not for drinking purposes.

    At any rate, I know water purity in the literal sense was not your overall point. I just got distracted! And thirsty--I think I'll go have a glass of filtered water and read a few verses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this inspired you to get your water tested, Galen. Until we did, I never would have imagined so much gunk could be in water deemed "pure" by the authorities. So much for them!
      And as far as sampling water in the wild without purifying it, we would never do that either these days. It's sad, but true.
      Thank goodness, the water Jesus offers need no purification!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. A post to think on for sure. Just because something looks pure and good, doesn't mean it is! Thankful for that living water that is pure, can be trusted, and we can drink to our heart's content!

    I like your new water filter... it is always good to have your water checked to see what might be "lurking" in your pure "looking" water. We have well water here, filtered by multiple layers of sand and clay, but still, you are right, it would be good to have it checked to see what exactly is in it. It is the best tasting water though!

    Enjoyed your post today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll bet your well water is nigh on perfect, Marilyn! You're certainly not going to have chlorine or fluoride hanging around, that's for sure.
      And you are so right about how something can appear to be pure and clean on the outside, when on the inside awaits dangerous entities that are not at all good for our bodies. With you, I thank the Lord for His oh, so pure gift of Living Water!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...