Friday, April 21, 2017

Angels We Have Heard . . . Right Here!


Psalm 91:11-12
For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.

Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

This is the fifth installment of my series regarding my husband, Danny, and our most unexpected "vacation."  You can find the first four listed at the right side of this page under Blog Archive, April.

It is almost 6 o'clock in the evening.  Danny has made phone calls to his family (not his mother as she would be worried witless) and work about our sudden turn of events, and I've reached my mom at our 5:30 daily rendezvous.  She is, needless to say, in shock, and so sorry to hear of all that has transpired.  It takes every ounce of will power I have not to dissolve into tears while speaking with her.

Danny notices my distress after I hang up, and takes my hand.  "This has been a long day.  You need dinner and rest.  Don't worry about me.  I'll be fine."

As much as I hate to leave, I know Danny's right.  I really need to eat.  I would love a glass of wine right about now, just to help me relax, and let the worries and pressures of this most eventful day take a back seat, if only for one evening.  I kiss Danny good-bye, promising to be back as soon as I can in the morning.

And I realize, as I stand outside the hospital entrance, summoning an Uber, how vulnerable I suddenly am.  A woman alone, in an unfamiliar city, relying upon the kindness and assistance of strangers, is not at all a comforting feeling.  I find myself wishing with all my might that this is just a bad dream, one from which I will wake up any minute and find myself in the cabin with Danny, sitting on the porch rockers, gazing at the breathtaking mountain views.

God knows I'm on the verge of a full-fledged pity party.  That is not in His plans.  I've got you, Martha.  Everything is fine.  I'll never leave nor forsake you.  Just watch . . .

I watch, but I don't see them at first.  It's not until I'm about ready to turn in for the night, opening every drawer in hopes of finding Gideon's Bible, when the light breaks through.  Angels!  God, You sent angels, one after the other, all evening long!  Have I entertained them, unaware?


  • The Uber driver, who upon hearing my plight, promises to pray for Danny and me, and share our situation with the prayer group he leads at his church.
  • The clerks at the Hampton Inn, where I mistakenly think I'd booked my room, only to find out it is at Homewood Suites on the same road.  They, too, hear my story as tears well in my eyes, and quickly assure me that because both hotels are under the Hilton umbrella, a shuttle will be sent for directly.
  • The shuttle driver, who is also a concierge at Homewood, is not just sympathetic, but guarantees me that her staff is ready to help in any way possible.  "We have a complimentary buffet with free wine and beer going on right now.  There's only about thirty minutes left, so don't worry about checking in until you've had something to eat and drink."  Free???  Did she say free?  Now I don't have to leave the hotel yet again to find dinner!  "And there is a complimentary breakfast in the morning, so don't miss it."  Can we say, "Heaven?"
  • As I'm enjoying a savory meal and a glass of cabernet, I notice this same woman saying something to several members of the buffet staff.  I think nothing of it until a young server brings me a to-go cup with its lid on right before dinner closes.  Curious, I open it only to find it filled to the brim with wine!  Uh-oh!  This is going to be an all-evening sipper!  Another miracle at the wedding at Cana?
  • When I finally get around to checking in, the young woman at the desk makes me feel right at home, and will procure a toothbrush and toothpaste for me momentarily.  Lifesaver!
  • Once in my room, I make a few short, but necessary, calls to family, trying to conserve my cell phone's power.  The conversations are comforting, but emotional.  I feel I need some fresh air.  Teary-eyed, I press the elevator button.  When the doors open, there is one woman inside.  I press the "G" for ground, but up we go!  We both laugh when I admit I must have pushed the "up" button instead of the "down."  Later, when I'm sitting outside on the hotel patio, this same woman shows up, introduces herself as "Claudia," and asks if she can join me.  As God would have it, she is also a Christian.  We talk for over an hour, and I'm so grateful for her company on an evening that was fast beginning to feel unbearably lonely.
Yes!  God, in His great mercy, sends me angels this night; little do I know then that He would continue to do so throughout our stay in Asheville.  But now, I understand how to watch for them, to be aware of their abiding presence.

I might not see wings, but God grants me the grace to see their hearts.

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like you picked the right hotel after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, as I read this, tears were flowing. Not only is God faithful to His children, but so involved and so personal. His promises are true.
    Oh, that all would know how much He loves us. Your testimony is sure to draw others closer to the knowledge of how deep, how high, how long and how wide that love is!
    I am praising Him with you, dear sister!
    Thank you for sharing this journey with us.
    Many blessings to you, Danny and the rest of your family (those adorable grandbabies)!
    Love,
    Beckie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is right there with us, Beckie, up close and personal! How I experienced/realized that during this journey; and it is my prayer that I might reach others for Him through this testimony. One never knows, but He does.
      Thank you so much for your kind, sweet words here, sister!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
    2. Yes, He is, Marla! Ever faithful!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Again I am amazed at the kindness you were shown. and yes will keep you both in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing kindness, Jean! What if we were to show that to others each and every day? The world would be such a better place!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. The Lord takes good care of us, indeed.. so thankful for the blessings of the Lord in the midst of your difficult situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marilyn, I couldn't have been more thankful for these blessings in the midst of strife. God is so good, all the time!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love how God puts His "angels" in all the right places, just when we need them most. What a blessing! So glad you finally recognized them for who they were...God's ministering "angels", sent especially to help you along your way. Our God is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And help, they did, Pamela! I'm so grateful that God helped me to recognize just what was going on. I will ever thank Him for their presence at the very time I needed them.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. I'm becoming more and more aware of God's goodness and watch over His children. this is a strong testimony of that truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bill! Coming from a pastor, that means so much.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. One angel after another! Your post reminded me of the story of the guy caught in a flood, trusting God to save him. People in a boat come by, and a helicopter, but he waves them all away saying the God will save him. He ends up drowning and when he confronts God to ask why he wasn't saved, God said, "Well, I sent you the guys in the boat, and in the helicopter...." You are a lot smarter than that guy because you recognized all the angels God was sending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galen, I do know that story well! It is the perfect example of how God does send others to rescue us, but we need to stay alert and be aware of their presence. Just amazing how God uses others to display His great love and grace.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. Oh Martha, what a wonderful blessing to you. I love how God brings people across our path to bless and encourage us when we need it. Likewise, He uses us at times to bless others too.

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Kim, a tremendous blessing at the very time I needed it! And truly, we can be angels for others, and not even know it at the time, but they will look back and reflect upon God's goodness and mercy.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  9. Hi Martha! Wow. I think I would have crying a river in that hotel. How wonderful those people were to you! I wish I was there to share that wine with you too :)
    It takes so little to make such a BIG impact on a persons day. I wish God's choicest blessings on those wonderful people, including Claudia, who made that evening a special one for you. You needed that!
    Yes, I will be honored to pray for you and Danny. A prayer for healing and peace and anything you both need. You are such an inspiration to me, I know that God will hear and bless.
    Hugs over the miles,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ceil, I know He will, too! The angels that met me there are here, meeting me now, through friends like you. I truly believe that this infection is simply a bump in the road, though it feels like a huge (my word for the year) pothole at the moment. I will never forget those angels in Asheville, and truly want to make my own heart and soul available to others who are seeking and in need. May God make me, and all of us, instruments of His peace!
      And God willing, I will complete the Asheville story down the road.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. Wow, Martha! I love how God watched over you with such tender loving care. It's amazing how He sent caring people to encourage you. I'm so glad you opened your heart to see them for what they are. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trudy! Yes, this was a marvelous experience, and one I will always remember. God is so very good, isn't he?
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...