Friday, February 1, 2013

"Stormy . . . Bring Back That Sunny Day . . ."


Psalm 55:8
I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and the storm.

We know it's going to be a rough weather day.  We see all the predictions and we are prepared for the probable thunderstorms and possible tornadoes.  But, we don't expect it to hit us so early.

I am sitting at my computer, sipping my second cup of coffee, when I hear it.  The haunting, ominous wail of the tornado sirens.  At 8:15 in the morning?!  Really???

As my husband, Danny, is working at home this day, he is still sound asleep.  So is my stepson, Giovanni.  Oh, they are NOT going to like this wake-up call!

"Everybody up!  The sirens are going off!  We need to get downstairs!"

Danny doesn't need a second prompting.  He throws back the covers, tumbles out of bed, and stumbles down the hall, headed to check weather radar on the computer.  Giovanni is only a step or two behind.

The sirens are still sounding.

"If there is a tornado anywhere in the county, the sirens are set off," Danny murmurs sleepily while punching commands on the keyboard.  "We need to see where the storm actually is before we panic."

He's so right.  The map reveals that we are nowhere near the storm's predicted trajectory.  False alarm.

"So sorry," I say sheepishly.

"It's okay," Danny assures me while pouring a much needed cup of coffee.  "Actually, we need to keep the radar screen up today so we can quickly note any changes.  This is definitely not a day to take any chances."

So, we monitor the weather throughout the morning.  Ready to dash downstairs for shelter should the need arise.  I gather a few items which I want to have with us in case of an emergency.

We wait.  We watch.  Sure enough . . .

Just after lunchtime, the eerie, blood-curdling sirens are howling yet again.  Promptly, Danny checks the radar and tunes into our local weather channel.  This time, the threat is real.  The meteorologist on the screen indicates the cities in the line of fire.  Kennesaw is one of them . . .

"I think it's time to head downstairs," Danny observes.  I can't agree more.  He takes the laptop with us so we can continue to get updates while we hunker down, praying for those in the path of this storm.  Hoping no tornado will touch down at all.

We dodge the bullet . . .

We give thanks to God.

~

While we feel grateful and blessed to have survived this day of storms, many living about 35 miles north of us are not as fortunate.  The photo above, which I borrowed from a local radio station's website, shows the tornado which actually touched down, causing considerable damage.  Buildings leveled and cars tossed like toys.  Hundreds injured and one poor soul killed when a tree falls on his mobile home.

Will you pray with me today for the victims of this vicious storm?

When stormy weather hits our lives, Father, remind us that You are our shelter and our strength.  We ask prayers of comfort and healing for everyone affected by the recent tornadoes.  May Your grace and presence dwell with them and with those who have come to their aid.  Bless them, dear Lord.  Amen.

18 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you and your family is safe Martha, and I will definitely include the ones that have been hit by the storm in my prayers _/\_
    In general, I love rain and cloudy skies, once in awhile, as they leave everything so 'fresh'. But, thunderstorms and tornadoes leave me unsettled. I hate the thought of those who are caught directly in it's path. But, I know that this is part of God's great nature and am doing my best to accept it as part of the bigger picture :)
    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Mary - rainy days are great, stormy days are not! And, we do have to accept the bad with the good as everything is truly in God's hands.
      Blessings and have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. Just yesterday I read a similar post, Martha and I hadn't realized how scary this was until I did. So glad you all are safe. Will surely pray for those affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Corinne, and, of course, for your prayers. It was quite the scary day in this part of the world, and there is a load of clean up going on north of us.
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  3. When I read this, I had a mental image of the disciples of Jesus in the boat and when the storm came in, they panicked...

    Thanks God you're safe. I pray with you for all the tornado victims...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the perfect image here, Melissa! As we took shelter in our downstairs "bunker", I had the same thought.
      Thanks so much, dear friend, for stopping by and for your prayers, as always!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  4. So happy that you're safe Martha. What a frightening reality. I will be praying for all in the path of these storms. It sounds as though you and the family are on top of things. Never underestimate the threat.
    Hugs,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leah, for visiting today! Yes, the storms of life, from the weather or from our life circumstances, are a frightening reality. So glad that our God, our Lord and Savior, walks with us through it all.
      Thank you, too, for your prayers!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  5. Glad everyone is safe Martha. Not only do we need God in the earthly and weather storms but in the other storms in our lives as well. Wish we had the same technology to predict the storms in our lives as we did for weather:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that kind of technology be great? But, just knowing God is there can get us through every storm.
      Thanks so much, Vishnu, for visiting today!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. It was indeed a tragic day for the residents of Adairsville! One of our former teachers totally lost her house. Tornados are always so scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so sad to hear, Lynne! So much suffering and hurt . . .
      Thanks for coming by today!
      May we always count our blessings . . .

      Delete
  7. oh my goodness..this is the first I am hearing of this. I will pray for those in the storms path! Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Annmarie, and for your prayers! Such devastation here in N. Georgia . . .
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. So glad that you and your family are all right, and yes, prayers for all those affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Galen! We were so fortunate to dodge the bullet, but there are so many who need prayers and help. Thanks for joining in!
      Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  9. Happy for you to have been missed this time. I know personally the fear those sirens can illicit, from my short stay in Oklahoma. I also know the feeling of guilty relief when it jumps the community you are in. Prayers for the people who were hit. Blessings to them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Jan, and for your prayers. Yes, I know that feeling of guilty relief all too well . . .
      Blessings, my friend!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...