Tuesday, February 14, 2017

We Shall Know Fully


1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.  Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Since Valentine's Day falls on a Tuesday this year, my husband, Danny, makes reservations far in advance for a restaurant on the Saturday before the big day arrives.  He loves to surprise me, and I must admit, I do like surprises, so all he will tell me is that we will be dining at an establishment neither one of us has ever visited.

In the two weeks preceding our date, Danny sends me tantalizing photos, daring me to figure out where we are going for our celebration.






How could I possibly glean anything from these?  Still, I know that Danny's goal is to make our evening special and memorable.  I harbor no doubt that he intends this meal to be the perfect Valentine's treat for both of us, and I'm waiting with growing anticipation for the real thing, which now I can only glimpse as a mirrored reflection.

The grand evening finally arrives!  Danny drives toward our destination for what seems to me, as I'm all aflutter with expectancy, an eternity.  When we turn down a particular road at long last, I have my first clue.  We will be dining in downtown Roswell, a town chock full of quaint, one-of-a-kind restaurants.  But which one will it be?

I'm looking right and left, admiring all the old homes transformed into eateries and businesses.  Suddenly, Danny flips the left turn signal, and I finally see the sign for the restaurant, which tells me nothing other than it is Italian.


Isn't this a quaint and cozy place?



And the inside is just as inviting.  Although the tables are somewhat close together, we really cannot hear conversations of those on either side of us, which preserves a sense of intimacy; just perfect for a romantic Valentines Day dinner!








So many epicurean delights from which to choose!

Here are some photos of what we do finally order.  Believe me, every morsel is duly savored!


Exquisite Cabernet!


Veal meatball appetizer - the fluffiest we ever put in our mouths!


Danny enjoys a short-rib stuffed ravioli dish.


Mine is a shrimp/lobster/lump crab with fresh mushroom pasta noodles.  Yum!


And what Italian meal would be complete without gelato and biscotti?


Not to mention espresso!

Wow!  Are we full and happy diners!  We depart Osteria Mattone, but pause together just long enough to capture another memory.



And on the drive home, I can't help but note how much shorter the ride seems now that the secret destination has become fully known to me.

As we travel life's road, we can't grasp the entirety of the journey.  We can only know, as Paul says, a part of it.  But the promise is this:  When we pass from this world and enter God's presence, the veil will be lifted, and we shall see face to face.

And we will be known fully, even as God fully knows us.

Amen!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Martha! Isn't your husband so sweet! I love that he planned this evening just for you. The restaurant looks like a residential house, how cute! I really like red wine myself, so I'm sure you enjoyed that Cabernet.
    I"m really hungry now...hope we have some pasta in the house!
    Happy Valentines Day to you both,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The restaurant was a converted home; so lovely and cozy! Yes, the wine was incredible and, unfortunately, quite costly, so we won't be savoring it at home any time soon.
      Sorry this made you hungry, Ceil. Did you find some pasta? :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Martha, you and Danny had a precious, memory-making Valentine's supper. The food and atmosphere looks amazing! I love how you weaved this word picture. From the beginning, I was thinking about Heaven. The journey to Heaven is a long one, yet when we get there it will be well worth it!

    Happy Valentine's Day, my friend!

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long journey to Heaven, Kim, and I wonder, too, if once we get there, we'll see our lives on earth as only a blip on the eternal screen.
      I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, my friend.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Awww! How romantic and sweet of your hubby, Martha! That place really does look cozy. :) I can't help but think of our Great Husband who woos us and continually invites us into His love for us. Thank you for sharing this. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Trudy, I love the image you have shared here, of God, our Great Husband, constantly wooing and inviting us to share in His love. Perfect!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. That sounds so delightful! What a lovely way to celebrate...with a surprise destination! And yes...isn't it interesting how life from this side seems so long and full of twists and turns...but when we are looking back...where did it all go? We need to make the most of every day and celebrate every way we can!! Life is short! happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pamela, I agree that we need to make the most of every day we are given. Life is short no matter how one looks at it; and as we age, it seems time speeds up, leaving us to wonder if we have made the most of our moments.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. What a romantic guy - great catch! So nice to see the romance in a marriage - it is such a blessing. Your pics were awesome and thank you for sharing such a delightful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Carol, he is a romantic for sure, and all the better for me! Lol! I believe in order to keep a marriage thriving, you have to find ways to keep the love and romance alive. It's a two-way street!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. wow how romantic and so very special. What a neat guy God has given you. and well deserved too. You are special too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! Yes, every day I give thanks for God placing Danny in my life. He is such a blessing to me, and I do my best to be the same for him.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. I think the expectation and excitement leading up to the special time together was just as wonderful as the meal you shared.... how sweet that your husband wanted to take this time to show his great love for you! Loved all your pictures, you both looked radiant :) Hugs to you today dear friend, and so true about your thoughts at the end... sometimes the journey is more important than the destination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Spice, that the whole anticipation experience was as much fun as the actual dinner itself. Surprises, good ones that is, are always fun, aren't they? And I'm guessing we look radiant because we can't hide our love for one another. That's a good thing!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. I see that you and my son celebrate the event before it happens. His reasoning is that both he and his SO have to work on Wednesday, so there will be less rushing if they celebrate before. Moreover, the crowds are so much thinner.
    Glad you enjoyed your love and your love. (Think about it...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know your son does the same, Roy. It is a wonderful way to ditch the crowds, and the food is usually better, too, as the kitchen isn't slammed.
      And yes, I'm glad I enjoyed my love and my love! (Very clever!)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  9. I absolutely LOVE this post--everything about it. It's not just the great dinner--it's the time and thought that went into planning something special for you. And yes, the Bible verse connection is not lost, but somehow those food photos and the story.... ha!

    My daughter did something I thought was so sweet for her husband of 1 1/2 years. She got a small journal and on each page she wrote a letter of the alphabet, and then something beginning with that letter that she loves or appreciates about him, or something related to a special memory. Then she drew a picture to go with the message. Gifts that come from the heart, whether grand or modest, are always the best, aren't they? Kudos to Danny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Galen, I love the story you shared here about what your daughter did for her husband. So extremely thoughtful, and one that required so much loving effort on her part! Those are the best gifts, aren't they?
      I'm glad you enjoyed the post and the photos. It was a memorable evening, indeed, and believe me, I know how fortunate I am to have a husband like Danny!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful couple the Lord brought together. Wishing you many years of blessings. Those pictures made me hungry! I'm going to get a snack now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beckie, for your well wishes! Sorry this made you hungry, but do hope your snack was tasty. :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...