Friday, February 3, 2017

Whom Shall I Follow?


1 Corinthians 3:1-4
Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly - mere infants in Christ.  I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it.  Indeed, you are still not ready.  You are still worldly.  For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly?  Are you not acting like mere humans?  For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere human beings?

What follows is a statement I recently post on Facebook:

I made a big mistake.  I thought once the election was over, the inauguration was over, people in this country might finally come to their senses.  My bad!

So because of the continuing lack of civil dialogue, I plan to severely limit my time here except for posting my blog, updating The Glade Series. and visiting pages featuring Christian writers.  So if you don't see me around, and you've been a great friend, please don't think I've forgotten you.

I haven't forgotten you, dear friends, but I am tired.

Worn to a nub, tired.

And I am blown away by the flood of public, and private, responses I receive from so many of these treasured friends.  They are exhausted, too.  They are confused.  Over whelmed and discouraged by the vitriol spewed from those professing to be Christians.

How can this possibly happen?  How is this the way Christians are supposed to treat one another?  Or those of differing faiths, when it comes down to brass tacks?

As Paul states above, "You are still worldly."  Reacting and knee-jerking to anyone who opposes your world view, excommunicating them from your friend list because they don't share your world view?  Your self-proclaimed enlightenment?

Yes, we all have a perfect right to our opinions and visions of what this world should look like.  But we also have power over the words we choose to spew onto the social media airwaves.  So let's ask ourselves:  "Are we still quarreling?  Are we jealous?

How does this come anywhere near to fulfilling Jesus' commandment to love one another?

I'm wondering, as Paul did, "Are we not yet ready for solid food?"

"I follow Clinton!"

"I follow Trump!"

When we make such declarations, we are in and of this world, acting like mere human beings.

Shouldn't we, instead, be pronouncing with conviction, "I follow Christ!"

And mean those words with every ounce of our being?

I pray today that those angry, accusatory words once uttered will slowly, but surely, turn to peaceful prayers of love and thanksgiving to God and for this great nation He has blessed us with.

1 Corinthians 3:21-23
So then, no more boasting about human leaders.  All things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world of life or death or the present or the future - all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.

Amen!

17 comments:

  1. Well, in my case, I follow none of the three. But, the Supreme Being requires us to care for all our fellow citizens. And, I see that demand being obliterated by those who have the audacity to speak in the name of the Supreme Being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Roy. God has set His standards; we are the ones who, when we fail to look up and seek Him, fall into worldly traps.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. I hear you! Little by little, I have stopped reading and watching the unending new cycle of just that--cycles. Cycles of event/outrage/chaos/anger/defiance/despair. Being a witness and manifesting truth is my job. Having faith is my job. My job is NOT judging (the Bible is very clear on this!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Galen! Our job is absolutely NOT to judge, but try to love and understand where others are coming from. If we don't model Jesus' love and forgiveness in our lives, how can we help anyone else come to know Him?
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. I believe we are all right there with you, Martha Jane! I know I am withdrawing more and more from social media on Facebook, and even limit how much news I watch (and I am very choosy about which ONE I watch). We've had to curb our conversations with loved ones at holiday meals to be sure no one was "uncomfortable"...and I've watched so many young people expressing their anger and anxiety over this election that I can't believe they are really American....anyway...I spend a lot of time in the Secret Garden talking to Jesus. That helps a lot! And visiting with dear ones here in blogland...so thankful for the love and support here. Don't go away too far, please!! I appreciate your voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about me going away, Pam - I'm hooked on your blog and the inspiration and insights you share. Whenever I open a new post, I can always count on finding photos and reflections that brighten my day and strengthen my walk with Jesus.
      We don't get "regular" television at our home, so any news I watch/listen to is either on the computer or on the radio. I want to stay informed as to what's going on, but I do have to withdraw even from that to keep my sanity. What helps me so much is understanding that God is in control, and I truly believe He is at work healing the divisions in our country.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. Martha, I agree with what you've written. There's so much ugly any more that it's heart-breaking. We adults seem to have forgotten how to be a good loser/winner. Back in August, I started limiting my time on social media for other reasons--it's a choice I don't regret.

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you don't regret that choice, Kim, and it was a wise one, indeed. I know as Christians we shouldn't bury our heads in the sand and remain unaware of what is happening in this world, but we also have to step back, spend time with God, so we can gain a proper perspective. Jesus told us to love one another, and this was not a suggestion!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha! What a brilliant connection to the Scripture here Martha. "I follow Clinton/Trump" sounds just like the rift in the early church. Such a great way to rise above the mess and remember who we truly belong to, and that is our Savior, and Our Father.
    I love your wisdom Martha. I always learn something beautiful here.
    Sunday blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil, your encouraging words are so kind. Thank you!
      Yes, when I read this Scripture, this is exactly the scenario that came to mind. Until the day Christ returns, I fear there will always be rifts of one kind or another in the church, but wouldn't it be great if all of us worked toward a loving and peaceful coexistence?
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. Martha, This post is full of wisdom and grace urging us to act like who we represent: JESUS CHRIST!
    Thanks, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Beckie! We can both agree that it isn't always easy to take Jesus' road, the high one, but it is the only one that will lead to healing.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
    2. My sentiments too, Beckie. Thanks for sharing, Martha!

      Delete
    3. You are so welcome, Shira!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...