Monday, November 14, 2011

I Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way . . .

Matthew 17:5
While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

How do you hear God speaking to you?

Is it a still, small voice within or, as in today's verse, a thundering, external declaration?

Maybe, you don't hear His voice, but you glean His message through other means. That recurring dream about something you should do. A suggestion from a friend. The peace which follows a right decision made. An answered prayer.

In a recent sermon, Pastor Wallace shared a remarkable story about meeting Susie Mayes, a life-long missionary. With introductions and small talk behind them, Susie's next question takes him by surprise.

"Wallace," she begins, "you're a pastor. How do you hear God talking to you?"

Feeling she deserves an adequate explanation, he plunges right in.

"He speaks to me through scripture. Sometimes, through a conversation with a friend. Other times, it's a sense of conviction in my heart that I'm on the right path, the one he's chosen for me."

"Do you ever hear him just like you're hearing me now?"

"No," Wallace admits, "I'm afraid not. Wish I did. How do you hear him?"

Susie pauses. There is a twinkle in her eye.

"Just like I'm hearing you," she says.

Wallace is impressed!

"When did you begin hearing God's voice?" He inquires.

"It all started when I was ten. I was playing in my backyard when he first spoke to me, sweet and clear like bells in a steeple. 'Susie, you are to go to Sarawak, Malaysia, and be a missionary there.' Sarawak? I was a little girl in south Georgia. I didn't even know where in the world this place was!

But, it didn't matter. God had spoken and I knew I would be going one day. I marched right into the house and announced to my family what God said. They had their doubts, but I never did."

Wallace, retrieving his jaw from his chest, manages to ask, "And, he still speaks that way to you today?"

"Yes, sir, every day, ever since that first encounter," she beams, then adds, "and, I wouldn't want it any other way."

And, I wouldn't want it any other way . . .

God is the original Great Communicator. He speaks to us as individually and as uniquely as He made us.

We need to do but one thing . . .

Listen to Him!

Will you pray with me?
No matter how we hear your voice, Father, may we always be prepared to listen. Help us pay attention to where we are when we feel closest to you. Quiet our minds, open our hearts, fill our souls with longing for You and Your wisdom. Guide us, day by day. Amen.

I am thankful for answered prayers.

Readings
Psalms 89:1-18 or 89:19-52
1 Maccabees 3:1-24
Revelation 20:7-15
Matthew 17:1-13

10 comments:

  1. Awhhh Martha...that was beautiful! I, like many others, often do not hear the answers I am receiving. Probably because I have a preconceived notion of what answer I want to receive. And even though I know it isn't the right answer deep down, I hope that it will be the answer I receive.
    God speaks to me in many ways, all but through dreams. I do not ever recall my dreams, except for when my mother passed away and I dreamt about her for months until one day they just stopped. She was happy and healthy in my dreams and they were so very real. Now, looking back, maybe it was God communicating with me and letting me know that she was okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is a wonderful way to hear God's voice. Sometimes when I begin to write, I have a general idea of where I want to go, but as soon as I begin typing, it flows onto the screen. It's like my fingers have a mind of their own. If I tried to speak, beforehand, what comes off of my fingers, I could not do it. And it is engrossing. I might work for three hours, and it's like no time passed at all.

    I urge anyone who wants to hear God's voice, to try writing down your thoughts on a subject that God is likely to offer an opinion. I expect that you will hear God's voice, and God's message will flow onto the screen before you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha:
    God speaks to me ALL the time in little ways:
    Finding parking spaces where I need them
    Coasting through green lights.
    To name just a couple.

    And in big ways:
    Giving me a job that I love.
    Giving me the BEST friend I've EVER had.
    Letting me use my gift of faith and writing to help others move forward.

    It's amazing if you REALLY stop and listen what you'll hear.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful Martha. God speaks to me in so many ways and he has held my hand all the while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful story! Imagine hearing God`s voice crystal clear every day. I might not be hearing his voice crystal clear but He does speak to me in many ways: Nature, prayer, scripture, friends and other small things. We don`t live in the city and I see and hear Him all around me...most important I feel Him in my heart and soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello.
    As a firm believer in Jehovah God, I know He listens & hears us. He does not always answer us in the way we expect, but His strength & guidance are omnipotent.
    Thank you for sharing.

    Imaginary Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, everyone, for stopping by today! Your comments are so appreciated!
    @Mary - I, too, have rarely heard from Him in dreams; I believe strongly that He was reassuring you that your mother was absolutely fine! Before my husband, John, passed, for months I had the same recurring dream of searching through many rooms of a mansion, knowing he was there somewhere. Suddenly, I would be out the door, standing at closed gates, looking at the mansion from outside, not able to get in . . . after he died, I never had that dream again.
    @Hank - Oh, yes, my friend, He always speaks to me through my writing! It's amazing! I like your suggestion to everyone to write down their thoughts when they feel God is speaking to them.
    @Chris - You are awake, aware, and conscious of the little miracles He gives to us every day and how He speaks so deeply to us through them. That's the way to live!
    @Nelieta - In your heart, in your soul, and in His marvelous creation . . . Life doesn't get much better than that!
    @Andy - You're so right about the answers He gives. Sometimes, the answer is "no", and we don't like it, but I always pray it's because He has something much better in mind for us.

    Blessings to all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Martha, what a powerful testimony she gave as to her conversations with our Heavenly Father, and more importantly as to her obedience of His guidance.

    I "hear" from God in many ways, including "whispers" in my heart and mind, but nothing as outwardly vocal as she described. Isn't it wonderful the many ways He reaches out to us? :-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Hank about hearing God's voice when I start to write. Just begin and the words begin to flow. I truly believe He is always speaking but are we listening. We just need to take time to hear what He is saying and wants us to know or do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Galer, we always do have to make it a priority to listen. In these blogs I write, I know it is impossible to do so without Him. He gives me the words, He gives me my voice.

    Thank you, my dear friend, for stopping by today!

    Blessing always!

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...