Saturday, November 19, 2011

Timing Is Everything!

Revelation 22:20
He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon."
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

My husband, Danny, and I share much in common. That's a good thing! We even have the same pet peeve: People who are habitually late.

We strive to be on time for everything. From doctor's appointments to dinner parties, and, especially, church.

When I tell Danny I'll be ready in five minutes, he can set his watch. When he tells me dinner will be ready in ten minutes, I can count on it. It's just the way we roll!

Not so, my daughter, Sarah, and her husband, John.

Sarah will text: "We'll be coming over soon."

I have learned this can mean anything from fifteen minutes to over an hour. I used to worry when they were five minutes late. Now, I don't fret until at least thirty minutes have passed.

I text back: "So, when will you be here?"

Sarah writes: "Sorry, Mom, we're running late. Be there soon!"

At least, she apologizes. Always does. Still . . .

~

As Christians, we live with the promise that, one day, Jesus will return to earth. Throughout these ages of waiting, many have tried, and failed, to pinpoint the date of the Second Coming.

Because, we cannot know the day nor the hour. (Matthew 24:36; Mark 13:32)

God's definition of "soon" is vastly different from ours. When the infinite and everlasting decides to break through, once again, into earthly time, it will be completely on His own terms.

No sense in glancing at our watches, impatiently tapping our feet.

Rest in the knowledge of His return.

Pray that, when He comes, we are the ones who are on time. Prepared to meet Him!

~

What are your thoughts about the Second Coming?

Will you pray with me?
Lord, You have told us to be anxious for nothing. Please grant us Your peace which passes all understanding as we await Your coming in glory. Remind us that we are on Your time, not the one of our own making. Amen.

I am thankful for my son and daughter, and for my son-in-law.

Readings
Psalms 107:33-43, 108:106 (7-13) or 33
Isaiah 65:17-25
Revelation 22:14-21
Matthew 18:23-35

3 comments:

  1. Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel… oh come already!
    This is one of my titles. Will send with the next batch... BTW, love this message! :-)
    Won't weight down your blog post here. You'll just have to wait... *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect post. I am dealing with this less than prompt stuff a lot lately, drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Debra and Jan, thanks so much for stopping by!
    @Debra - Love this title!!! Looking forward to seeing it. :) Glad you liked the message.
    @Jan - When you are an "on time" person, people who are late can really get on the nerves! Sorry it's driving you nutty, but happy you liked the post!
    Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...