Saturday, November 12, 2011

Well, It's About Time!

Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in your sight are like yesterday when it is passed, or like a watch in the night.

"What time is it?"

I'm willing to bet that, next to "Hello, how are you?", this is the second most-asked question we hear, day in and day out.

And, that should come as no surprise.

We are dependent upon time in everything we do and everywhere we go. Without it, the civilized world as we know it would cease to function. Knowing what time it is, for the vast majority of us, is an absolute necessity.

Stop and think for a minute (there's that "time" thing again!) how many phrases we use in conversation or see in print that revolve around time and its passing. Here is a list, by no means definitive, of sayings which involve time. Feel free to add your own in the comment section.

Here we go!
  • It's about time!
  • Time out.
  • Time flies when you're having fun.
  • Time and time again.
  • Timing is everything!
  • All the time in the world . . .
  • Don't waste your time!
  • Time marches on . . .
  • Time waits for no man.
  • Working overtime.
  • Wait a minute!
  • Hold on a second!
We are people controlled by time. It sets our limits (there are only so many hours in the day). It dictates our schedules. We all grow older with its passing. We can't stop the clock . . .

Then, there is God's time.

Everlasting, eternal, unchanging; from age to endless age.

Timeless.

A thousand years in the blink of His eye. Or, a million. Or, a billion.

And, when it's our time to knock on Heaven's door, we won't need to check our watches.

God's timing is perfect . . .

I am thankful for the beauty of this day.

Readings
Psalms 87, 90 or 136
1 Maccabees 2:1-28
Revelation 20:1-6
Matthew 16:21-28

8 comments:

  1. coffee time. great post thanks giving time, Christmas time and god blessing to the world. god bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great message. It is a beautiful day today here in CT...God's glory abounds in every falling leaf, filtering sun's light through their colorful hues. Have a great day! :) ~blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Roy and Jessica, for taking the "time" :) to stop by today!
    @Roy - Coffee time is bliss! :)
    @Jessica - There's nothing like fall in New England; so bright and amazingly colorful!

    Blessings to you both and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, when someone asks me how I am I just say "Hi".

    I kind of like to think that God's time runs on intuition. I wake up in the morning and I feel like going to the bathroom. Intuition. I feel like falling in love with a beautiful woman. Intuition. I feel like changing jobs. Intuition. I feel like writing a new story. Intuition. I feel like not being hooked up to a life support machine anymore. Intuition.

    I eat breakfast food cereal for dinner. A protest against being a slave to time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. J. R., I love your insights here! What a neat way to think of God's time and His timing. It truly is in those intuitive moments we have that He is trying to tell us something, something of utmost important. His time breaks through into ours . . .
    Thanks so much for stopping by!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish time would matter to me more then it does right now..I suppose if and when this phase changes I might want more time..right now I want less.....sometimes when I am still..I almost can feel some faith growing in belief that time is not my own and someone else has control...trying.......As always...XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess the older I get, the more life experiences I have I appreciate, as you mentioned above, "Time waits for no man" the most!

    Its actually had the power to change how I think and how I feel...most of all how I parent. Sometimes, I ask myself how important is it really. Like JR mentioned above, why not have breakfast for dinner, a late movie snuggled up with my kids, laughing and eating chocolate.

    Like you said God's timing is perfect, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Bonnie and Amy, for taking time to stop by today! So appreciated!
    @Bonnie - "Sometimes, when I am still . . . I almost can feel some faith growing . . ." Yes! Our times are in His hands and in His time. His time that we cannot fathom or calculate. Have faith that He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. I know you are trying; I am seeing it in your blog. I am praying . . .
    @Amy - Yes, time does not wait for us, ever! :) And, to tell the truth, my favorite dinner is when we have breakfast at the "Orlando Cafe". Breaking the rules of time, having chocolate at midnight or a steak at 4:00 a.m., can actually refresh and renew us. Love the snuggle up, movie idea!

    Blessings, always, to you both!

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...