Thursday, November 17, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Child . . .

Matthew 18:2-3
He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

I love nothing better than spending time with m
y beautiful granddaughter, Virginia Rose. My daughter and son-in-law bring her by for frequent visits, but rarely do they ask us to babysit.

Two weeks ago, they did. I am beyond thrilled!
And, so glad Danny is home that day to take photos and help with watching her. She is a handful! A child of perpetual motion and boundless curiosity.

At fifteen months old, Virginia is not quite wal
king. She pulls herself up on chairs, the couch, and her playpen. She takes tentative, side-to-side steps, holding on all the while.

She has discovered my kitchen drawers. Here come the potholders, the towels, a pack of straws, the box of baggies, flying across the floor! I have to watch with hawk-like diligence to ensure she doesn't shut the drawer on her fingers.

Virginia likes to do, or try to do, everyt
hing on her own. She enjoys feeding herself and holding her own bottle. She has even learned to drink through a straw!

But, what Virginia loves the most is being outside. We set her playpen up on our deck so she can get fresh air and sunshine on this balmy autumn day. She enjoys playing with the colorful leaves I give her.

Soon, however, she grows weary of her playpen and she raises her little arms up to me to rescue her. That's when Danny has an idea.

"Let's take her down to the backyard and let her crawl around and explore."

I hesitate. We don't have a soft, lush, grassy lawn. Our yard consists of moss and leaves and acorns and rocks and hickory nuts and pine cones . . .

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Why not? She'll love it!"

And, she doe
s!















All this exercise finally wears her out. She holds her arms up and I readily oblige.

~

I hope in viewing her photos here, you were able to glimpse the world through her eyes.

To see the child within yourself.

To raise your arms up to your Father in Heaven.

I am thankful for my inner child.

Readings
Psalms 105:1-22 or 105:23-45
1 Maccabees 4:1-25
Revelation 21:22-22:5
Matthew 18:1-9












19 comments:

  1. Looking at the world through the eyes of another especially that of children brings freshness and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us...Anything to do with a child is always innocent and pure...lovely pictures,Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you could baby sit! I think we all need to see life through the eyes of a child now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a princess...and the pictures, priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granddaughter is precious. To look at her an imagine the simplicity and innocence of what she sees is refreshing, relieving, and a blessing. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful post to enjoy with my morning coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone, for taking time to stop by today!
    @Savira - She surely has made me see the world differently. :)
    @Alpana - Pure and innocent - gotta love it! Refreshes us all.
    @Nelieta - Yes, through children's eyes, everything changes for the better!
    @Janu - Thank you! I have to admit, I think of her as a princess, too. :)
    @Mary - Thank you! We all have to reconnect with that "simplicity and innocence" from time to time. So glad you enjoyed the post!

    Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is beautiful! I love that first shot. The look on her face really gets you thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable Martha. To be innocent and childlike is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Rachel and Rimly, for stopping by today!
    @Rachel - Thank you for the compliment! Yes, she has a myriad of expressions; this is her "thinking it through" moment. :)
    @Rimly - Thank you! I think she is cute myself, but then, of course, I would. The innocence of children is a blessing indeed!

    Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous love all the photos, she look like a bright angle. god did bless your day thank you for posting god bless

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martha, you make me misty! Beautiful words and photos! I love the way you and Danny are together! Thank you for sharing your wonderful selves!! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so miss when my children were young like this..when I could get that extra cuddle....As always,......XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Roy, Linda, and Bonnie, for stopping by today!
    @Roy - oh, yes, she is my bright and shining angel! Glad you enjoyed the photos, too.
    @Linda - I am one very fortunate woman to have a husband like Danny. So happy you enjoyed both words and photos.
    @Bonnie - They are so delightful when they are little; why do they have to grow up? :)

    Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the beautiful pictures of the little princess. Love her expressions and your post is a great read.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Sulekkha, for stopping by today! I so appreciate it!
    Yes, she is my perfect princess and my husband does a marvelous job with photography. My pictures wouldn't be any near this good. :)

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post and I loved looking through all the images of your sweet Virginia! What a precious child..may we all learn to rediscover our sense of discovery and wonder, the kind that little Virginia has as she looks upon the things of the world for the first time.
    She is blessed to have such a wonderful grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Jessica, for stopping by today and for your sweet comments.
    Yes, I adore watching her wonder and discovery of everything around her. It has given me a deeper, more abiding appreciation of everything God has made!

    Blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful beautiful. children are such light bulbs for life. wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Jan, for stopping by today and taking time to comment!
    Yes, children are like light bulbs - they light up our world and help us to see it the way we should.
    Blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...