Friday, January 18, 2013

A Day to Pray


Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, "I am who I am.  This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I am has sent me to you.'"

Have you ever been given a task to accomplish which you thought impossible?  Maybe, it was because of time constraints?  Too many things on your plate to consume?  The extra helping which begs discarding before you suffer an uncomfortable night of indigestion?

Or, was it a lack of confidence in your ability to follow through?  To get the job done?

We've all been there, haven't we?  Life's pressures weigh upon us even in the best of times.  No matter how much we strive to do the right thing and meet the expectations of others in our families, our work, our church, we cannot stand up to the task at hand unless we're first willing to kneel.

In prayer.  Asking for God's guidance.  His wisdom.  His protection.  His grace.

To learn humbly at His feet how much He wants to hear our prayers.  How He longs for a loving relationship with us.  How having this rapport with Him can literally change the world for the coming of His Kingdom.

Former Arkansas Governor, Mike Huckabee, has issued a plea to all of us to stop what we're doing and drop to our knees in prayer on January 20th.  He is concerned, as I am, that while our leaders don't seem to be listening to us, they just might listen to God when He calls, shows up, stands in their presence.

The following is Gov.  Huckabee's invitation to join him in prayer this Sunday:

Join me for "A Day to Pray", where we will ask God to grant our leaders, from the local school houses to the White House, the wisdom they need for the road ahead.  We will gather to ask God for forgiveness and healing of our land and to bless our country and her people.  This will not be a political rally, but a spiritual event, and hopefully one that can help bring us together as we move forward as a nation.


Will you accept the invitation from Gov. Huckabee?  No matter where you live around the globe, will you pray that God will speak to the hearts of your elected officials?  Convict the hearts of your leaders to answer to the Lord and ignore the lure of worldly power?

Will you, through prayer, send God to their hearts, their minds and their souls?

Will you, through prayer, tell them, "I AM sent me to you"?

~

Let us pray:
Father, let us join with millions around the world this Sunday to pray for our leaders and our countries.  May our prayers find favor in your sight.  May your presence shine upon those who need to know You and create in them a servant's heart.  Amen.

32 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,

    I think this "A Day to Pray" idea is a great one.

    Indeed, I will also join in from here in the UK.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to know you will be joining in, Hiten! Wonderful!
      Thanks for stopping by today. :)
      Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning, Martha:
    Will definitely join in. However it's nothing new to me as I carry on a daily conversation all the time w/my God.

    Thanks for this reminder.
    Namaste.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know, Chris, nothing new to me either, but the idea of millions of folks praying for the same thing sends a thrill down my spine!
      Thanks for coming by today. :)
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  3. If more people stopped their hurried lives and thoughts and took more time to pray or for deep introspection our society would definitely be headed in a more positive direction. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, indeed, Jessica, it would! Did you happen to read Galen's most recent post on how we hurry up when God wants us to slow down? Check it out on Blogplicity. :)
      Thanks so much for coming by, and hope you will be joining me and millions of others in prayer this Sunday.
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  4. "...from the local school houses to the White House, the wisdom they need for the road ahead" sounds sensible... and very much needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, very much needed, Amy! Thanks for stopping by today. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite prayers, spoken informally in casual words, invokes a great verse from Matthew...
    "Lord, you promised us in Matthew that wherever two or three are gathered in my name, you'd be right there in the middle of us. Well, here we are! Our prayer today is that you'll touch each of us in some way that we will know that we have been in your presence."
    This Sunday, a lot of folks will be praying together in his name. I hope everyone feels his presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this prayer, Chip! And, just think - on Sunday, there will be literally millions all praying for the same thing. Wow! I get chills just thinking about how powerful this could be . . .
      Thanks so much for visiting!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. thank you for the shout out...the whole world needs prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heartily agree with you, Annmarie. We can't pray enough for the state of this country and the world.
      Thanks for coming by!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. i will remember you, mr. huckabee and all our leaders in my prayers tomorrow. love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to know you will be on board tomorrow, Linda! Prayer really makes a difference, and with millions praying? Wow! Sends a thrill of excitement coursing through me, for sure.
      Blessings and love, dear friend!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. It is the 20th here in NZ. Praying with you and the many others and will keep praying. Blessings to you Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sweet to know the prayers have already begun! May we surround the world in all its time zones and places with endless prayers for those who would govern and make decisions on our behalf.
      Thanks so much for visiting, Suzy!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  9. Prayer for our leaders should really be a daily thing shouldn't it? I'm praying for them now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lynne, it should be a daily thing, you are absolutely right! I just loved the power of so many praying for the same thing on the same day. Wow!
      Thanks for coming by!
      Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  10. Martha, I remember to include our government employees in my prayers daily. I do pray that everyone's voice together as one being heard by God today will allow Him to show mercy on our government and allow them to draw close to Him in this crazy time in our nation. Thanks for a wonderful post. I hadn't realized that I missed it, but was in bed for 2 days following a tooth extraction :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Mary, that must have been one painful tooth removal! Glad you are feeling better, my friend.
      Yes, we should pray daily for these people, but, as I told Lynne, the idea of joining so many at one time praying for the same thing is so powerful!
      Blessings and love and healing!

      Delete
  11. United voice and silent thoughts can break sound barriers, Martha. Let's hope ours send the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Brenda!
      Ooh, breaking the sound barrier with our prayers . . . love that image! Yes, I hope the message was loud and clear.
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  12. I love the idea of a day of prayer. And today, with the inaugural, what a perfect time to pray for our leaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inauguration Day was/is a perfect time for prayer for our leaders and our country.
      Thanks for coming by, Galen!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  13. Lovely idea... I will join in too... not for anyone else but for our own self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were inspired to join in, Me, and thanks so much for visiting!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  14. I just read this today, Martha, but it's never too late to pray, is it? I will certainly join in the intentions of this day of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late for prayer, Corinne, and so glad you are joining in.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  15. I just caught this late on Monday, but I pray for the people in power to e given wisdom often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jan, I do, too. Prayer for them is good any day.
      Thanks so much for coming by!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...