Friday, January 4, 2013

Name It to Claim It


John 12:34
A new command I give you:  Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Have you ever defined a new year with a single word?  I never heard of this practice until two blogging friends shared their declarations for 2012 frequently in their posts.  For one, the year was "see"; for the other, it was "shine".

And, as 2012 drew to a close, I began to ponder . . .


Should I choose a defining word for 2013?  If so, what word would it be?  I know it must be a word which brings me closer to God throughout the year.  It can't be anything less.

I think.  I pray.  I ponder some more . . .

Then, BOOM!  The word spills into my heart.  My mind.  My soul.

LOVE!

This is the year of "Love"!

Loving myself.  Loving others.

Showing that love in smiles and laughter.


Reflecting upon the love I give.  The love I get.


Eyes continually focused on those around me who need to feel loved.  


Taking delight in every moment when and where love is shared.


So, that when those troubled days come, as I know they will; days when I am hurt or sad or down, I can still find love.  Still give love.


And, if somehow, I forget how to find love.  Give love.  I know who can help me reclaim it . . .

All I have to do is raise up my arms to my Abba.


And, let Him love me through it all.


~
Have you named and claimed this New Year?

Will you pray with me?
Thank You, Father, for this new and promising year which lies ahead.  Let us ever be focused upon You and Your desires for us.  May we ever love one another as You have loved us.  Amen.

20 comments:

  1. The word 'love' is so fitting this year Martha. I was reflecting instead of what 'image' I am before God ~ in connection with the Gospel a few days ago on John the Baptist. He was the 'Voice crying out in the desert'...If I were God's 'song,' then the word that could define me would be 'gift'... Being and becoming a gift to others. And I pray with you full of gratitude and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Melissa!
      Yes! You are indeed a gift to so many, my friend. I love that image for you - it fits perfectly!
      Blessings and love always!

      Delete
  2. Love - that's truly the best word you could choose. What would we be without the love of God and of our family? I love how you're illustrated your post with such delightful pictures of Virginia Rose. Are these pictures from Christmas? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Corinne!
      Yes, these photos were taken on Christmas Day - so glad I could use them to illustrate the story.
      And, I'm glad you like my word choice for the year. :)
      Blessings and love always!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh, yes, it is!
      Thanks so much for stopping by, Janu!
      Blessings and love to you!

      Delete
  4. Love it (to coin a phrase)! And great photography, too! This year I pray you are more aware than ever of the great love of God being poured out TO you, then through you - especially during those times when you have to LEAN INTO IT.

    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by today, Andy!
      Yes! I do love your word "lean" for your new year. Reminds me of the hug photo above as we lean into the Father for comfort and consolation.
      Thank you for your beautiful prayer, too, my friend!
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  5. Good Morning Martha,
    This is an interesting post. Name it and claim it...hmmmmm. I guess my word would be, "Be". The rest will catch up with me if I will hold still;)
    I love the photos!!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Leah!
      Oh, I love your word! How many of us can say we are content to simply "be", but it is essential to our peace of mind and spiritual growth.
      Glad you liked the photos, too!
      Love and blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. I too am LOVING this idea of a word to define the year! My word is JOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a great choice you have made, Lynne! Joy is the perfect word for you and your already joyous spirit.
      Thanks so much for coming by, my friend!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful thought Martha, we all could surely do with a lot of love around us this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Me!
      Yes, may we all be surrounded by love this year!
      Love and blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. Love is such a powerful way to live life. Not just love for the people we know but for everyone we interact with and for the actions we take. I decided to go with the word giving this year - so, yes, give love:) more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like your word "giving", Vishnu! I think it does go hand in hand with loving. Great choice!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  9. Lovely post and pics and I love your word. Love is the best word of all. My word is "Abundance" so I wish you an abundance of love. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting today, Suzy!
      I love your word, abundance, too! When we see our lives as abundantly blessed, there is always more than enough love to go around. :)
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  10. Dear Martha,

    This is adorable, yet powerful! The combination of words and pictures makes me smile!

    Your granddaughter is so cute and I LOVE her outfit!!!

    When I saw the word you chose I thought, "How could she be any more focused on LOVE? She's one of the most conscientiously loving people I know!" Then, it hit me! Possibly the words we choose tell us more about who we already ARE than we know or even realize...

    The two words I chose for 2012 are 'Order' & 'Expansion'. Thank you for asking. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post and the photos, Linda! Oh, and what a great insight you have into why we choose the words we do. I love yours of Order and Expansion - as I wrote in another comment, they reflect you and your desire to grow in the spirit!
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Many blessings always!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...