Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Love Letters from the Lord


Matthew 22:29
Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.

I know, I know . . . It's a bit early to be talking about Lent.  After all, it doesn't begin until February 13th.  But, I want to share with you a discipline for the season on which I've already embarked.

Reading the Bible from beginning to end.  Something I've never done.  Something I never thought I could or would do.

Until now . . .

The book, 66 Love Letters, arrives as a Christmas present from Danny's sister and brother-in-law.  I am ecstatic!  Pastor Wallace has referred to this book in several sermons.  It's an invitation to enter God's love story to us from Him through through all 66 books of the Bible.

To find the part my life plays in those stories, not just then, but in the here and now.

To discover God's Word in a fresh and meaningful way.

To walk hand-in-hand with Him,  knowing how much He loves me.  Loves us.

The author, Dr. Larry Crabb, strongly suggests in his introduction to read these love letters slowly.  Otherwise, there is just too much one could miss.

So, this is how I'm tackling the discipline:

  • Reading the book chapter - Praying that God opens my heart.
  • Reading the corresponding Bible chapter - Praying that God opens my mind.
  • Re-reading the book chapter - Praying that God anoint my spirit.
I've already embarked on this study.  I'm certain I will still be at it when the 40 days of Lent have passed.  Yes, it will take time, but it's time most worthily spent.

And, I can't think of a better journey to be on.

This journey of love with my Lord . . .

~

Have you chosen a Lenten discipline for the coming season?

Will you pray with me?
Help us, Father, to study Your Word, Your love letters for us, that we might come to know You in a deeper way.  Show us how our life stories weave with Yours.  May we be ever mindful of Your mighty power to save.  Amen.

22 comments:

  1. I think your plan in utilizing the book in your Bible reading is good. It's always exciting to see what God has in store as we study his Word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Jennifer!
      Yes, it will be an exciting journey, no doubt about that!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. I remember one year I thought of giving up coffee for Lent. But then I realized that I would be so focused on my giving up of coffee that that would take my focus off of God! :)

    I love the idea of adding a new discipline and think your reading the Bible through Lent is a great pursuit and journey! Looking forward to hearing all the revelations you receive as you draw closer to God. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Jessica! Yes, I'm really looking forward to this adventure and will certainly get some inspiration to share here. :)
      Blessings to you, and don't give up that coffee!

      Delete
  3. we did salvation history last Lent....what a wonderful eye opening experience! We all learned so much and were left hungry for more knowledge of the Bible...
    good luck in your study!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the perfect study, Annmarie! When a study leaves you hungry for more knowledge, you can rest assured the Holy Spirit has awakened your soul.
      Thanks for coming by, my friend!
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely journey searching for God's love. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Rimly!
      Yes, I am so looking forward to taking this journey with the Lord.
      Blessings and love to you!

      Delete
  5. This sounds wonderful, Martha. I'm thinking about my discipline for this Lent and for once, I think it's going to involve food and exercise. I usually stay away from choosing those for Lent, but I'm moved to do so this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Corinne!
      I'm glad you are feeling moved toward food and exercise because when your heart is in your Lenten practice, you almost always follow through, even if it's only for the 40 days. I'll be thinking about and praying for you!
      Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  6. Hi Martha :),
    I'm sure you'll have a nice journey reading this book.
    Thanks for reminding us when Lent begins.To tell you the truth I haven't thought about it yet.Maybe I'll do something special.I'll see.If I come up with something I'll tell you for sure.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by, Jasmina!
      Glad this post served as a reminder to you when Lent is begins this year. I'm sure you will come up with the perfect discipline which will make this season a memorable one for you.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. What a nice way to think about Bible passages and a loving format to read the Bible. A reminder of how our relationship with God should be our strongest love relationship? Stronger than any human relationship?

    There is no one could love us that unconditionally! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does remind me of our first, foremost all-important relationship: the one we have with our Lord. So looking forward to this study!
      Thanks for visiting, Vishnu!
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  8. Wow, a lovely gentle way of explaining the unconditional love that is shared with God. Wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Rachna!
      He is the source of unconditional love, and for that, I am so thankful.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  9. It seems that Christmas was just here and soon we are heading towards Lent. I usually don't follow any thing during Lent, just meditating on the greatest gift that was given to mankind and strengthening my relationship with Him.

    I wish you the best as you follow a regime. These times are beautiful reminders of the gift of salvation to all of us.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lent is the perfect season to reflect upon Jesus' gift of salvation and God's grace in our lives. I am looking forward to this reading, for sure.
      Blessings and joy!

      Delete
  10. Wow! I think you have a great book :)

    I'm not sure yet what I'd take but I think this discipline isn't new...I just have to strengthen it a bit more...

    My niece asked me how I'd celebrate Valentine's day in Lent :P and I think this post came in timely...perhaps, reading God's love letters through the Scriptures with new eyes would be great...

    I pray with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a truly great idea for Valentine's Day! So far, I'm enjoying the readings and taking my time to mull over them. Reading through the entire Bible may take me a year!
      Thanks so much for your visit, Melissa, and for praying with me!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...