Friday, May 24, 2013

A Time and a Season


Ecclesiastes 3:1
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens . . .

As many of you already know, my first two books of The Glade Series have been released, and the third one, pictured above, will be available any day now.  What you might not know is that all three books began as one novel entitled, aptly enough, The Glade.  When my publisher suggested I break it into a trilogy, I balk at first.  But, after giving it some thought, I decide her idea is a brilliant one, especially when it comes to marketing and cost.

I remember like it was yesterday . . . that hot, humid summer day in 2009 when I typed the final sentence of The Glade.  Oh, what joy!  Such elation!  I'm finished at last!

But, not a week goes by, and I find I'm going through withdrawal.  I'm missing my characters as if they are truly live family and friends.  The ache is acute and persistent.

I give in . . .

Back to the computer I go to begin what is then my envisioned Book 2.  Once again, I'm immersed in the world of Davy and Grey, Kate and Jim, Anna and Mary, Bob and Susie, and the Old Ones whom Davy has finally met.  My mind is racing.  My fingers are flying.  Chapter after chapter after chapter . . .

Then . . . I hit a hurdle.  A place in the story which stops me dead in my tracks.  For the first time since beginning the novel series, I'm stumped.  Unsure of where to go next.

God, where are you?  Why are You stopping me here?  Why aren't the words, the ideas, coming?  I'm confused.  God, are You listening?

Yes, He is listening.  He always does.  It is I who is not.  Not yet.  Not knowing how or why or wherefore.

But, deciding to trust that all will be well in the end.

After all, I don't even have a publisher for the first book yet.  What's the rush? And, if the fate of the first novel is uncertain, why would I expend energy now on a sequel?

Reluctantly, but resignedly,  I put the manuscript aside.  Just for now . . .

But, that "just for now" turns into days.  Months.  Years.

Why?  Because, this interim is a season for other ventures.  The writing of my devotional blog.  Growing closer to the Lord through daily studying His Word and going to Him in prayer.  Learning ways to successfully market a book.  Landing a publisher.  Improving my writing/editing skills.  Becoming more disciplined in my craft.

And, now?  Well, that's the good news!  Just this past week, God removes that hurdle, that stumbling block, and lovingly invites me back to the story.  I have no idea how it will all unfold, but I know with confidence that He does.

And, I trust Him.  Completely.

For everything is in His timing, and that's just fine with me.

~

Have you ever stopped doing something because you knew the time wasn't right?

Will you pray with me?
When we listen to You, Father, we can never go wrong.  Help us to understand that Your timing is perfect.  Guide us toward the goals You have set before us.  May we ever feel Your loving presence in every season of our lives.  Amen.

12 comments:

  1. Great going Martha. Best wishes for this book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janu, and thanks for visiting today!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Love love love this story. It was just a plan you told us in the beginning and it came to be ~ concretely, completely finished... what great trust and faith Martha!

    I always look up to this as a learning and as an inspiration ~ everything will be completed at God's time. And let's add, in God's manner ~ love you a lot!

    In response to your question, I didn't push Arvy for his communion. It's long overdue, there were a lot of excuses and it was giving me stress that nobody's moving...I didn't cry this time, but I asked my aunt to help us again. I couldn't leave him without receiving this Sacrament... Perhaps, there's a meaning to this hurdle but I know God will make things possible.

    I pray with you, yes, Jesus, may we feel Your presence in every season of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melissa, thank you for visiting, for sharing my post on FB and Twitter, and for being with me in so much love and prayer. You are such a dear and treasured friend!
      Don't give me too much credit, though . . . I learned the "hard" way about pushing my agenda instead of asking the Lord, always and everywhere, to push His. I am at such peace now as I look back and so grateful that He loved me through all my indiscretions.
      I'm sorry that Arvy hasn't yet committed to the Lord, but, it so reflects how everything does happen in His time. I know little Arvy is precious to Jesus and that He will call His child when the time is right.
      Love and blessings, dear one!

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how God stops us from what we are doing just to make us do something else which He thinks would do us more good. There are always doubts whenever that happens, and I guess it's because of our wanting to always be in control. It really is a leap of faith when we let go and let God be in control. I'm glad that you surrendered to God and trusted in His plans for you! Congratulations! Papa Jesus must be very proud of you, Martha! <3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting today, Irene!
      I know in my heart that if anyone understands this, it's you. Yes, wanting to be in control separates us from the will of God, and seeing what He wants, listening to His voice, does take a leap of faith. And, isn't that what it's all about? :)
      I do pray I make my Lord proud and can continue to reach others for Him through my writing.
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  4. I just love to read your experiential stories. They inspire me so much and force me to egg on with new found motivation. Thanks Martha. It's a delight to learn of your book endeavours. I wish you all the best with the No. 3. And no matter what, he is there - guiding and waiting to lead us on. Have a beautiful Sunday.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Susan, and for your most encouraging and kind comments. It is a blessing for me to know these blogs inspire you and give you a new motivation. Wow!
      And, yes, God is always with us!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your books. I find that finishing a book is the beginning since the editing phase seems never ending. It's time for you to start a new novel and become intimate with new characters, or you could write a new story with these same people.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/05/silly-sunday-baby.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congrats, Joyce, and for stopping by today! Yep! I'm going to be writing more about the same characters - there are too many adventures not to share! :)
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  6. This was so incredibly beautiful Martha. Thank you so much for chronicling your journey for all of us and sharing your deep and insightful realizations. As a kindred spirit and fellow spiritual practitioner, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that what you experienced and the lessons you learned from it are just so practical and serve a valuable lesson. Everything comes in due time...there is no need to rush...there is a reason behind everything. All we need to learn is to trust that God has the best plan for us. Thank you so so much. Sending you so much love and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Vrndavana, and for leaving such a thoughtful comment.
      Yes! I believe that we are kindred spirits, traveling in faith and hope along the path God is unfolding for each of us. And, understanding that everything happens in His time and for a reason is a huge milestone to reach and one of the most important.
      Love and blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...