Friday, May 31, 2013

He's Waving at You!


John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

What do you do when your heart is troubled?  When things don't turn out the way you expected they would?  When worries about loved ones or a job or a mortgage crowd your thoughts?  Cloud your judgment?

When it seems as if God is not there?

Pastor Emily shares the perfect story about what happens when we let the distractions of the day keep us from looking for the good, for the miraculous, for God in every moment.

It is her high school graduation.  The venue is one of this area's mega-churches which easily seats 5,000.  Emily's class fills the immense choir loft behind the altar.  From this vantage point, the students can easily scan the pews for family and friends.

Emily's eyes search the gathering crowd, straining to find her family.  At long last, she spots her father and grandparents.  But, where is her mother?  Yes, she recalls, Mom had to take my sister to an event.  They will be late in arriving.  I'm sure she'll be here soon.  I'll keep on looking . . . 

It is all Emily can focus upon.  The time for commencement is at hand.  Still, her mother has not appeared.  Where is she?  How can she miss my graduation?

The ceremony begins.  And, so do Emily's tears.  Streaming down her face.  The young lady seated beside her is alarmed.

"What's wrong?"  she asks.

Emily is too choked up to answer.  Too overwhelmed by disappointment and sadness over her mother's absence.  So much so, that when her name is called to stand for recognition of an award, she doesn't even hear it.

"Stand up, Emily!"  prods the girl beside her.  "They just called your name!"

In a fog, Emily stands.  In a blur, she goes through the motions.  Doesn't recall the speeches or the recognition of others.  She barely manages to contain the tears long enough to walk across the stage to receive her diploma.

Still, no mom.  And, the tears emerge anew.

It is over.  Emily is officially a graduate.  She waits in a place agreed upon to meet up with her family.  Struggles to put on a brave face.  Her dad hugs her first.

"Congratulations, Emily!  We are so proud of you!"

"Thanks, Dad," she says, "but where is Mom?"

"She's right behind you."

Emily whirls around.  "Mom!  I thought you weren't here!"  The tears return.

"I was here the whole time, sweetie.  I just arrived too late to sit with Dad.  I was up in the balcony, waving to you every time I thought you looked my way.  Didn't you see me?"

~

Because she was focused upon her own thoughts and fears, Pastor Emily missed out on the joy of her graduation, those moments which should be treasured memories held tenderly in her heart.  And, when we drown ourselves in our own disappointments and despair, we fail to see God enthusiastically waving to us from the balcony - "Look!  I'm here!  I'm here!" - just as Emily failed to see her mom on that special day.  Standing in her corner.  Cheering her on.  Ready to shower her with love and grace and blessings.

~

In your dark night of the soul, will you remember that God is waving to you?  Trying to get your attention?  Letting you know you need not be afraid?
Do you see Him?

Will you pray with me?
We know, Father, that in the midst of trials and troubles, we too often forget You are there, walking with us, holding us close, and loving us.  Help us not to miss those miraculous moments You offer to us each day despite the circumstances in which we find ourselves.  May we know Your peace.  May we not be afraid.  Amen.


14 comments:

  1. Martha, What a great reminder that we so often miss the moment we spend time looking for not noticing it has indeed already arrived.
    So glad to read the post and remember this aspect so clearly today.
    He does have a plan and He will always be waving at us, if we stop looking for where we want to see Him and just wave back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Kathy!
      Yes! We need to remember that God is there with us at every turn. We simply need to look in the right direction, His direction, and wave back to Him.
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  2. Hope that He will always keep you safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patrick, and thanks for stopping by. May He always hold you in the palm of His hand!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Nice post as always Martha. God may seem distant in our lives during our graduations or many other events in our lives. God does waive to us regularly. And in the more challenging times in our lives, holds us and even carries us along the way.

    Pastor Emily's story is a reminder to live in the moment in our earthly life. And a reminder that God is present in all we do. We just need to keep that in mind regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by today, Vishnu!
      You are exactly right - God IS there in every moment, sometimes waving, and sometimes carrying us through the rough times. May we all learn to live in each precious moment we are given.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. Amazing dear friend! I never thought of such an analogy...He's always present in my life, but I should look if I am ever aware of His presence all the time...

    I was reading this when I got my mom's call. A test perhaps, if I'll see God in the way things went on my weekend :)

    I pray with you always.Yes, help us to see those miracle moments each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Melissa, and for sharing this on Twitter!
      Being aware of His presence all the time . . . something we know we should do, but sometimes fall down on the job when fears or worries invade. If we practice looking for Him when everything is going well, it will become easier to see Him waving at us when times get tough.
      Love and blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Amen!! a lesson every one can relate to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annmarie! I certainly hope so. :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. I love this. What a rich, poignant reminder that He's always there, even when we're too lost in our "stuff" to see Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Andy!
      I'm glad the post meant so much to you. Yes, He never leaves us; it is we who turn our faces away . . .
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. Excellent post and message, Martha. So very true, and something I hadn't considered. We do lose out on the present when we are distracted unnecessarily. Thanks for this one, it's one I will carry with me for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Brenda, and so glad you liked the message!
      So many folks write about "living in the moment", but actually doing it isn't the easiest thing. However, it's what makes life richer and more fulfilling!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...