Monday, June 29, 2026

Happy Birthday, USA!

 


So, if the son sets you free, you will be free indeed. ~John 8:36

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.  It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. ~John Adams


On July 4th, 2026, our beloved nation turns 250 years old!  I know I'm not alone when I say that I couldn't be more proud to be an American, especially during this landmark year.  I'm old enough to remember our 200th birthday, too.  Unfortunately, I was in England at that time for a summer study of British literature.  But our group was genuinely surprised and honored to witness the Buckingham Palace guards offer a royal tribute to their American brothers and sisters.

Those moments, I recall, were the first time during that monumental trip when I felt the poignant twinge of homesickness, pining for the land I love.

Fifty years later, I find it both ironic and joyful that so many FIFA fans from all over the world have descended on our great nation for the games.  Their exuberance for the American way of life, from Buckee's to Waffle House, cold beer and air conditioning, from sea to shining sea, is both infectious and inspiring.  Truly, their enthusiasm for our country reminds us how blessed we are to have the freedoms that we often take for granted.

I'm absolutely loving every moment leading up to the big day and I plan to revel in the celebrations taking place on the National Mall and all throughout the land.  But it's not just about barbeques, parades, fireworks and flyovers, although they are all fantastic in and of themselves.

It's about God.

Our Founding Fathers were immersed in His Word, recognizing it as the very cornerstone of western civilization.  When they came to the original thirteen colonies, they brought with them all the best of the Old World's ideas and ideals, and created a government like not other ever before seen or tried.  I believe with every fiber of my being that it was God's will to establish this nation as His "Shining City on the Hill."  After all, when one looks at the historical improbability of rag-tag militias triumphing over the then greatest empire in the world, how could it have possibly happened without Him?  Winning our revolution against the formidable British Empire was nothing short of miraculous!

Here, 250 years later, figures such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin loom large in our collective conscience as do countless more who contributed to the formation of our government.  But we must hold tightly to what John Adams stated above:  Our Constitution is made only for a moral and religious people.  If we lose sight of that basic premise, our country will be lost.

So let's resolve to put the Lord first in our lives always, thanking Him for all our blessings, and praying that He will ever defend, protect and inspire us to do great things that are pleasing in His sight.  And we we ever cherish and uphold the freedoms America affords us because God is on His throne.

Happy Birthday, USA, and may you celebrate many more!

Amen!


78 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to our country’s birthday and all that this nation represents. I hear the strains of America, America, God shed His grace on thee! Thanks for posting your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pam. I hope we can all hear the strains of that amazing hymn during this week of celebration.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about the Bicentennial. What I remember best was the fireworks (and the traffic afterward) and that the company I was working for - Shell Oil -- had been the sponsor of CBS TV's "Bicentennial Minutes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great memory to have, Glynn! Yes, I'm sure the traffic after the fireworks display was a nightmare. It's so hot here, we won't even try to go anywhere to see the fireworks - at least we can watch on TV.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post! I love our country too and also remember the Bicentennial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mari! Yes, as Americans, we should be unabashedly proud of this great nation in which we live.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Yes, the FIFA fans have shown us to ourselves in a beautiful way. I am very glad they feel welcomed and see the many good people in our country and I pray everyday that we can love and respect one another as we should. Our country is a great blessing and beacon and temporary difficulties will never bring us down. Only we can do that and I pray we listen to one another and talk peacefully and that the extreme people on both sides of the political spectrum will wise up. That's all I can say. Thank you Martha for your friendship and your prayers. God bless you dear and thank you so much for walking me home ❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cloudia, for your most thoughtful, excellently written comment here today. American people have always had their disagreements throughout the years, but we can all agree to disagree civilly and respectfully. Our freedoms are enviable and we need to cherish and protect them above all else. May we stay united as that one nation under God.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I’m so grateful for our freedoms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Martha Jane...I sure appreciate this post. Wishing you a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling this would be right up your alley, Linda.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. So what are your plans? Here, we will be having an awful heat wave, about 105 degrees. I refuse to set off fireworks when it's that hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're enduring a heat wave here, too, Ginny. We will be keeping close to home in the a/c and enjoy the celebrations shown on TV. Fox has an entire lineup for that Saturday night to celebrate our 250th birthday, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. I was raised to be a patriot. It's in my DNA. My favorite vacations from childhood was DC, New York's Westpoint, Washington's headquarters in New Jersey, Boston and Philadelphia. I'm so grateful my parents saw fit to take us to these foundational places that fostered my great love for our past and what it means to be an American.Beautifully written, Martha. John Adams words ring true. Although today I'm sad for our future after the Supreme court ruling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That decision was incredibly disheartening to me, too, Debby, when it comes to the matter of citizenship. I rarely criticize the Supreme Court, but considering the day and age and what the amendment was originally intended to do, I think they truly missed the mark. I saw many of those historical sites, too, growing up and have always loved American history. I hope and pray that our patriotism will last in this marvelous country long after we are gone.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. Great post, Martha. The inspiring and infectious love for this nation and for the living God who brought it to life shines through loud and clear. I could shout the kind of "AMEN" that my heart feels in reading your words, you.guys would hear it in Georgia. One of the things that does grieve my heart on our beloved nation's birthday is the way we have allowed so much of our country, and so many of our precious children to be systematically blinded to truth altogether, and especially to the One who embodies the essence of Truth. For my life and beyond, academia in America has been allowed to take over the discipling of our children. They have done the molding and shaping of lives that the Church of Jesus Christ failed to do and we are witnessing and experiencing the awful consequences of our failure.

    But in spite of that our resurrected King still lives and seasoned Gospel warriors and defenders of truth like you and Danny continue to bring His Kingdom to life in this world--and together, we have hope. So, dear friends, as we celebrate our nation's many incredible victories on Saturday, let's commit ourselves afresh to at least one more monumental accomplishment--a revival of righteousness and justice and a return to being "one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all." And may God bless us and keep us safe as we rejoice in the grace that God has allowed us to live in what remains (in spite of our flaws and faillures) to be the greatest nation on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been so many who have enjoyed the privileges of the freedoms that our country offers like no other, yet have continued to denigrate and disparage our Founding Fathers and the miracle that this formation of government, under God, actually affords an imperfect people who strive to become better with each lesson learned. My heart is broken by the rise of communist sympathizers within the Democrat party in recent elections and it only reinforces what you have stated about the church not taking the lead and allowing secular, demonic influences to permeate our children's education. I taught children as a paraprofessional and as a teacher for many years, and I had to finally leave as I saw the writing on the wall. So many were yoked to the teachers' union and devoid of God. I'm thankful to have given my own children the foundation in the Lord that they need to protect and love the freedoms our Constitution provides.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. I say a big AMEN to your post Martha. We have no big celebration planned since we are a family of mom, dad, and adult daughter and one living over 4 1/2 hours away, but I do plan on taking some time to pray for this country that I love. I want to go to all the haters and tell them, "If you don't like it here go to a communist country and say what you say here about that country and see what happens." There would be a few less people on this planet I guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to tell the haters of this grand and exceptional country the same thing, Bill. Ironically, this is the only country in the world where their hateful and divisive words would even be tolerated. Why can't they understand that? Watching the news and seeing the gay pride people defending Palestine makes no sense since if they lived in a Muslim country, they'd be stoned or thrown from a building to their deaths. Our liberal education system has not helped in any aspect of understanding as far as I'm concerned.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful post, Martha. We have a heat wave here in Montreal as well. Tomorrow, July 1st, is Canada 🇨🇦 Day and moving Day. To be honest, I am not a fan of fireworks due to the noise and how it scares animals and even some people.
    I hope you have a lovely week, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Canada Day, Linda! What is Moving Day? This is the first time I've heard of that. The family dog we had growing up was petrified of fireworks and loud sounds in general. We could always tell if a summer thunderstorm was in the offing as our sweet Dutchess, with her sensitive ears, would hear the distant booms long before we could.
      Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Hi Martha, moving day is when people move their entire belongings from one apartment or house to another.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for explaining this, Linda. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  12. In spite of our flaws and problems, we still have MUCH to celebrate in this country. I pray that in the coming week we can focus on what we have in common as Americans and all the blessings we enjoy. (An emphasis on unity would do our spirits good.) Let the protesters stay home if they don't want to participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of us is perfect, Nancy, and as Christians, we should, and usually are, the first to recognize this and offer the grace we've been given to others. Let us celebrate this one nation under God in all its glory!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  13. Martha, you've described this pivotal anniversary so well! How those images and snippets from those visiting fans touch my heart!
    This oppressive heat and humidity will keep Tom and I from participating in any outdoor observances. Praise God for central air conditioning and televised fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you've watched the news today, Myra, but this French deputy-mayor is trying to blame America for our use of air-conditioning contributing to global warming. I want to utter something that no child of God should say, so I won't. Danny and I will be mirroring Tom and you this Fourth. Inside, cool, collected, and celebrating!

      Delete
  14. Best wishes to you, your family and all Americans on 4 July. Happy Anniversary.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Victor! I was so moved by how your country honored their former colony with such love and respect back in 1976 when I was there with my college group. The memory will ever stay with me.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  15. Yes! Amen! I'm currently watching The Patriot War on Fox Nation. I also remember celebrating 200 years. I have a miniature Libery Bell that we rang during a neighborhood cookout on that July 4th 50 years ago! I will be ringing it again this year!! Happy 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that to have that miniature Liberty Bell, Terri! Wow! Yes, ring it loud and proud, my friend. I'm not surprised that we are watching the same series on Fox Nation. Honestly, it was after watching the first episode on Washington that I made a few edits to this current post. We should never stop learning about and cherishing our nation and the freedoms we have because others were willing to sacrifice their all.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  16. A damn good post, I hope all my American friends have a wonderful time celebrating this special 250th birthday, and I hope all the crazy issues that come about can settle with the country moving forward in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jo-Anne, and I pray the same. A house divided against itself cannot stand, but at least our Constitution gives us a way to peacefully resolve our inner conflicts even though it can take time.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  17. Happy 250th Birthday, America. It's a priviledge and an honor to live in the greatest country on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Katie, amen! The USA is the greatest country on earth - one nation under God.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  18. That was a beautiful tribute to America. I feel so blessed to be born here and call it my home. We are so lucky. When people bad mouth it I want to send them away to another country!! I was here for 200 and hopefully 250!! I don't think America can make it without God. We used to have HIM strongly. We need to get HIM back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandie, I do believe that God's presence is strong and real and true in our nation, but the devil is active, too. Just look at the Supreme Court's decision on birth rite citizenship today. Uninformed! Communists who don't apologize for their beliefs being elected? Disgraceful! Democrats who don't condemn the communist view? Deplorable! Yeah, Hilary isn't the only one who can use that term. Thanks so much for your encouraging and inspiring comment here. We do need to make sure our God is our first and foremost priority.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  19. "America! America! God shed His grace on thee! And crown thy good with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea!" Amen, to all you've said, Martha. We are so blessed to be living in America, the land of the free, and the home of the brave! I am VERY PROUD to be an American!! May God continue to bless our country, and may our people realize just how blessed we truly are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Pamela, and amen, again!!! May our loving, forgiving God continue to shed His grace on us and lead us along the right paths for His name's sake. Like you, I'm proud of our Founding Fathers and proud to be an American!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  20. Oh, Martha, this is excellent and inspirational. The way you describe America today and in the past made my heart soar! John Adams and so many of our founding fathers loved the Lord "their" God...my God. May we celebrate this milestone of 250 years and remember our spiritual roots. God bless you and God bless America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced, Karen, that if it weren't for God's will, our nation would never have existed. Our creation, renewal and survival depended upon His people believing and trusting in His providence to give them the courage and means to stand up against the most powerful human regime of that time. Indeed, we need to celebrate!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful tribute, Martha! Even though I’m Malaysian, I can feel the pride and joy in your words. America’s 250th birthday is such a remarkable milestone, and it’s inspiring to see faith and freedom celebrated so deeply.
    Happy July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your beautiful comment here, Veronica! Yes, it is quite the milestone for our nation and we are proud to celebrate our freedoms.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  22. Amen, Martha! We have so many reasons to thank and praise God for the blessing of our freedom and our nation. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many blessings to count, Deb, I heartily agree. Hope you have an amazing Independence Day celebration!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  23. I remember the Bicentennial like it was yesterday. Great tribute to America, my friend. Happy Birthday to the land of the free and the home of the brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this tribute to the greatest nation in the world, Debra. I remember the Bicentennial as vividly as you do, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  24. With all the decorations and celebrations, we do need to remember to seek the Lord first as a nation (and as individuals). We did not get to this milestone without His mercies and grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that, Barbara. We would never have been the powerful nation that we are today without God's favor.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  25. Amen and God Continue to Bless America!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, may God shed His grace on us for many glorious years of freedom.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  26. ' let's resolve to put the Lord first in our lives always'

    Amen, friend! And happy 4th to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Linda! If our founders hadn't put the Lord first, we wouldn't have the prosperous and free nation that we do.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  27. Bom dia minha querida irmã Martha. Parabéns pela linda homenagem. Uma excelente manhã de quinta-feira e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Luiz! Yes, we're all really pumped up for our nation's birthday.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  28. A América (USA) é um país multirracial, democrático e com caraterísticas muito próprias, das quais, aliás, você dá conta de algumas.
    A realização do Mundial de Futebol, em parte do seu território, representa, porém, uma cedência ao desporto favorito dos povos do sul e ocidentais.
    O futebol passou a estar, também, no ADN dos americanos.
    Abraço de amizade.
    Juvenal Nunes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soccer fans from all over the world have been wonderful, inspiring guests, Juvenal, and we have so enjoyed their enthusiasm for the sport and for our country. And yes, the sport is growing by leaps and bounds here in our nation. Great to see!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  29. I love the fact that George Washington and the entire Congress walked to St. Paul's Chapel at Trinity Church to pray after his inauguration and enlist God’s favor upon our new nation. Yes, we were indeed established as “One Nation Under God” and may we continue to be so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pam, for including this fact that many people today might not know. Yes, our Founders were men of great faith who knew that we could only exist God willed it. May we stay that One Nation Under God for many years to come.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  30. I was around in 1976 too, Martha. My family never took vacations, but we traveled to Virginia that year to visit my uncle, and he took us to tour Washington, DC, one day. For years I kept the little liberty bell souvenir I bought that had 1776-1976 on it. :) Hope you have a great Fourth. Happy Birthday, USA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a priceless memory you've shared here, Lisa! I hope you'll cherish that little liberty bell souvenir and pass it on to your precious grandson one day.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  31. Freedom of religion created a place where faith can flourish freely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Cloudia! And that, along with free speech, is what makes our nation so incredibly different from all others to the benefit of all people. Let us all continue to pray for our great nation.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  32. Happy 250th! God Bless America-Christine cmlk79..blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for this excellent message!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Enjoy the holiday, Martha and lets be grateful for all we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so grateful for our great nation under God, Jean. Enjoy your holiday, too!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  35. Bom dia minha querida irmã Martha. Ontem fui no culto da Assembleia de Deus, onde eu congrego e sua Evangelista, pela misericórdia do Senhor Jesus, um Presbítero chamado Vanildo, ministrou uma palavra, sobre o Profwta Elias e a Viúva de Sarepta. Uma excelente manhã de segunda-feira, para todos os seus familiares na Geórgia, Uma excelente manhã de segunda-feira para todos os seis familiares na Geórgia. Um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Luiz. I certainly will and I hope you have a great week, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  36. Bom dia, Martha
    Parabéns pela linda homenagem. Os Estados Unidos é um país abençoado. Que Jesus esteja sempre em primeiro lugar. Um forte abraço.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly are blessed to live in this country of freedom and opportunity, Lucinalva. May God continue to protect us.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  37. What a wonderful tribute to our great nation. God has certainly blessed this country. As always I give Him thanks for the great men and women who fought and died and continue to protect this land. As well I too remember the Bicentennial. Hard to believe fifty years have gone by so quickly. Have a great start to July, friend - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words here, Debbie. God has most certainly shown His grace on us through the many trials and tribulations over the years and I'm certainly proud and grateful, like you, to be an American.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  38. I am late in commenting, as usual, but I hope you and Danny had a blessed 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did, Cheryl, and I hope your family did, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete

What Would Jesus Undo?

  See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are!  The reason the wor...