Monday, June 22, 2026

The Best Part of Waking Up

 

 

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. ~Luke 21:33


Morning coffee in our house isn't a suggestion, it's a requirement.  Danny mentions recently that he thinks our Cuisine Art coffee maker is about eight years old, the same age as our previous one is when it gives up the ghost.  He even browses the web to see what types of coffee makers would make a reasonable, practical replacement should our current one decide to go the way of its predecessor.

Friday evening, while Danny is cooking dinner, he glances over at the coffee maker and notices that the display clock is uncharacteristically blank.  We experience several glitches in our electricity that afternoon.  Thinking that might be the issue, he unplugs the machine and plugs it in again.  Zilch.  Zero.  Nada.  The Cuisine Art has unceremoniously brewed its last.

What are we to do now?

Fortunately, we have both metal and plastic pour-over devices to use for our morning Joe.  I use the plastic one with a coffee filter in it to slow the drip when boiling water is poured into it.


While it works okay, my coffee isn't strong enough for my liking.  And for someone spoiled by simply setting up my coffee the night before which only requires me to press the "on" button in the morning, going through the extra steps when I'm not yet fully awake is a dangerous undertaking.

By the time Danny gets up, he uses the metal filter for his coffee.


This doesn't require a paper filter, but dumping out the used grounds creates another issue.  They have to actually be washed out of the filter.  Sending unwanted grounds down our kitchen sink when we are only on a septic tank is not the way we wish to go for any length of time.

It turns out that Danny's preemptive research pays off.  On Sunday, we welcome this beauty!


The Technivorm Moccamaster is a hand-crafted and individually tested coffee maker which has been manufactured in the Netherlands since 1964.  It meets the high standards that the European Union demands for all its products, so what little plastic it does contain is safe.  We do expect, too, that this machine will outlast and outperform our last two Cuisine Art purchases.

But no matter what man-made product or appliance we might acquire, we know it is only temporary.  Nothing created in or by this world can last forever.  Eventually, they will pass away.

And so will we.

With that in mind, may we cling all the more tenaciously to what Jesus tells us will never pass away - His Word.  Let us savor each one of them like we do our first, aromatic sip of a richly-brewed coffee.

He's the best part of waking up!

Amen!

76 comments:

  1. This too shall pass.

    Why can't they invent coffee in tablet form? You take a tablet and it is as good as two cups of strong coffee.

    Great ending to your post, Martha. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Victor! I don't think any pill would ever replace that tasty morning coffee. By the way, this coffee machine brews the best coffee I've ever tasted. So glad you enjoyed the ending here, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. OH wow, nothing worse than a coffee pot that won't make coffee in the morning when you need it most. We do have an old metal camping stove top coffee percolator pot that we use for emergencies, like when the power goes off for days in a hurricane. We can set it up on our Coleman camping stove (if we have fuel for it), or even on the gas grill, but that takes a LONG time. I personally don't drink coffee, so it's no biggie to me, but it sure is a major thing for my hubby. So I understand your situation. So glad you already had a replacement in mind and that you were able to get it in record time. And yes, so glad that God's power never runs out. He is ALWAYS there for us, when we wake up and when we go back to sleep at night. He is always there. Thank you for this wonderful post. That new coffee pot looks quite interesting, and maybe just a bit complicated to me, but hey, if it works, then that's what matters most!! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee pot may look complicated, Pamela, but once it's assembled, it's a breeze to use and it brews the best coffee I've ever had to be honest. Since John is a coffee lover, it's great that you all have a back up plan should it be necessary. And yes, asleep or awake, I'm so grateful for God's presence and His power to daily guide us through life.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. We're on our third Capresso coffee maker, and a few months ago it started showing signs of the end. We bought time with a decalcification process, but we knew the end was approaching. So I went to buy another one - only to learn they stopped making that model. Aaagh! We ended up with an Oxo model, which is waiting patiently in its box until the Capresso gives up the ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodness, Glynn, you all have certainly had your share of coffee misadventures, too! It's no fun to find out that your preferred coffee maker is no longer available. I do hope the Oxo model will be perfect for you once the Capresso decides to quit.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Morning coffee. What's that? A way to spend your day sick? A way to smell a skunk in the house? As you can tell, I am not a coffee drinker. At all. None in my family-wife & 2 daughters-drink the nasty stuff. :) But to each his own. Seriously, we all waste away or are wasting away. We too will go the way of your old machines. Difference? We won't be recycled. We will be remade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like coffee, Bill? I'd love to know your secret to being able to get up so early and stay up without having any! I'm so grateful that when it is our turn to pass away, we won't be recycled but be remade. God is good!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Coffee is definitely necessary!! I just bought a new Hamilton Beach Flexbrew machine. I love it so much more than the Kuerig machine that made its last cup a few months ago. You are correct to remind us that everything is temporary but our God!! Hallelujah!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know there's someone else out there who thinks coffee is a necessity, Terri. There are a plethora of coffee makers out there and I'm glad you found one that works for you. And everything except our eternal Father is temporary, that's for sure.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Love my morning cup of coffee! In fact, I'm having mine right now.
    That is a serious coffee-making machine. I bet it makes a good strong coffee which is the only way to go. That's the kind of coffee maker you will have to include in your will.
    May you always have that glorious brew, waiting for you every morning.
    Enjoyable post, Martha! ☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a serious coffee maker, Debby, and it brews some of the best coffee I've ever tasted. Danny and I actually joked about how this machine would probably outlast us, too. His sons don't drink coffee, so it will either go to my son or my daughter one day. Glad you enjoyed this post while enjoying your coffee!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. I love the smell of coffee but can’t stand the taste. You can have an extra cup for me, Martha. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will, Diana! I only have two cups in the morning, but it sure helps me to greet the day with a smile.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Wow, I have never seen a machine like it! Looks like it even grinds the beans. I would love to taster coffee that is made in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this does have the look of a combination bean grinder and coffee maker, but that tank is for water only. If you're a coffee lover, the taste of this would translate to bliss.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. We finally had to break down and get a new coffee pot, too. We kept putting it off until it started leaking water. Just a simple Bunn like we've used for years. :) My hubby always prepares the night before, too. He turns it on when he gets up. We both love our coffee in the morning, too! Amen to Jesus is the best part of waking up! Love and blessings to you, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to know we're not alone with preparing coffee the night before, Trudy. That's great that your Bunn product has worked so well for you and that you could easily get a replacement. I know we both agree that Jesus is the best part and the best reason for waking up each morning.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Dear Martha, although I prefer tea, I do enjoy a good cup of coffee. That's a really nice machine. 👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Linda, we are thrilled with the quality of coffee it brews! There are times that I wish I could drink tea, but my stomach can only deal with the herbal variety and one that doesn't contain the caffeine. Here I am, living in the South, and I can't tolerate the sweet tea for which this region is reknown.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Blogger has made me anonymous again! The comment about looking like it grinds beans and I have never seen one like it was me, Ginny, From Let Your Light Shine. I suppose this comment will say anonymous as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your name is here, Ginny! Yes, Blogger has been acting weirdly as of late, so unless it's an obvious spammer, I answer anonymous just as I would any other comment. We are so pleased with this machine and the quality of coffee it produces.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  12. What a beauty, that new coffee maker. It does, however, look like I'd need a college education to operate. I'm such a coffee addict (strong and black, please) that I've even taken to making a cup the night before and put in the refrigerator for a quick cold pick-me-up first thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a superb idea, Myra, and one I never have thought of before. Thanks! Strong and black is the only way to go in my book, too. This coffee maker exceeds all expectations when it comes to successfully brewing the perfect cup.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  13. I liked that - He is the best part of waking up! How true. I enjoy my coffee in the morning too. That looks like a great machine. The last two lasting eight years was pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eight year stretch for each is a pretty good record, Sandie, I agree. I do have to say that I've never tasted better coffee in all my life than I have from this beautiful replacement that even puts Starbucks to shame. But as you reiterated, Jesus is always the best reason for waking up.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  14. Being the family barista, I relate so much to your story and the plight of having the coffee maker die. We've had a few Cuisine devices that served us well, so when our last one exhibited signs of needing hospice care, we stayed with that brand, only added the 'one-cup' feature to this one in case people come over and we don't need to brew a whole pot. I love that we can program it at night so that when we get up, the coffee is hot and ready to pour. Conveniences like that were unheard of for most of my life. On the farm, and for many years thereafter, it was the old fashioned percolator.

    But the thing that inspires me as I revel in the blessings of God over the years, is how life much better life has gotten in spite of the difficulties, losses, and intermittent hard times. He's always leading us upward, dear friend, and what's waiting for us is beyond incredible. Thank you for the dose of smiles you sent to us with this post. Now, I'm off to ger another cup, and get to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely the beneficiaries of 1st world conveniences, Ron, I wholeheartedly agree. I vividly remember my mom's and dad's old percolator bubbling away on the stove. That seems like another lifetime ago. And you are so right - God is always leading us onward and upward as our life progresses in the way He wills it. Enjoy that second cup!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  15. No better way to start off the day with a good cup of coffee. I love the aroma too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Bill. The aroma is almost as good as the coffee itself.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  16. Ditto on the coffee maker. Ours passed away three weeks ago. I purchased a cheap coffee maker that didn't satisfy our tastes. I did find another Cuisinart coffee maker almost identical to the one we had which, amazingly, matches the one you had. It was on sale. Now we are getting the strong coffee we both were accustomed to. I love the built in filter and 14 cup capacity.
    The Lord bends to hear our prayer and provides according to His will. It is humbling to realize how much He has provided us, even in the times of rebellion. Wev are blessed.

    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know you enjoy coffee as much as we do, Jim! Sorry that you had to go through the same experience of having your coffee pot give up the ghost, but it does happen. Good news that you've replaced it with one that brews the kind of coffee you like. It is humbling, indeed, when we realize how much God has provided for us.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  17. I just replaced our coffee maker...our other one would not keep the coffee hot. We actually use a Keurig because Sam has to drink decaffeinated coffee while I drink the regular. Works for us. LOVE the WORD of GOD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to your last comment, Shug! The Keurig does sound like the perfect coffee maker to have since Sam has to drink decaf. And I couldn't stand a machine that doesn't keep my coffee hot.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  18. Boa tarde irmã Martha. Domingo retrasado, comentei com um Evangelista, da Assembleia de Deus, onde eu congrego. Sobre esse maravilhoso texto Bíblico. Mais tarde beberei um pouquinho de café. Uma excelente tarde de quarta-feira e um grande abraço do seu amigo Carioca e irmão em Cristo Jesus Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you enjoy a good cup of coffee, too, Luiz.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  19. Lord have mercy. I'm with you Martha. Give me morning coffee or give me death - because that's what it feels like without it my magic potion. When our expresso machine recently went on the blink, we were in straightup emergency mode. I realize now that you always, always need a backup, like a spare tire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at your second sentence, Debra, because it's true for me, too! I'm just so glad Danny had those other filters on hand as we had to wait two days until our new coffee maker arrived. We are absolutely loving the way this one brews to just the strength we like, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  20. I do not drink coffee, I start my day with an egg flip which is milkshake with an egg or two in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually sounds pretty tasty, Jo-Anne. Eggs are so good for us, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  21. AMEN, Martha--HE's the best part of waking up! I do revel in my first-thing-in-the-morning quiet time with God, accompanied by a fresh-brewed cup of coffee (which I too set up the night before!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strong coffee and time with Jesus . . . Life doesn't get much better than that, Nancy! Setting it up the night before is such a time saver, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  22. I loved this, Martha. Only you can take a broken coffee maker and turn it into such a beautiful reminder of what truly lasts. Your new Moccamaster is gorgeous, but your reflection on clinging to God’s Word was the real gift today. Thank you for starting my morning with encouragement. Of course it does make me remember the commercial jingle. "The best part of waking up - is Folgers in your cup"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that many of my fellow bloggers would recall that famous jingle, Carrie. That had to actually be the worst coffee ever! I'm so glad that the analogy I used touched your heart as a real gift. I'm so humbled by your words.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  23. Wow, Martha, the new coffee maker looks amazing. I'm not a coffee drinker. I jokingly tell people don't drink coffee because I haven't grown up yet. :-) Mike loves his black coffee every morning. We have one at home for pods, but camping, he uses a variety of devices made just for camping/hiking etc. I do love chai tea lattes. Loved the analogy to what is temporary and what is eternal. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know from watching y'all on YouTube that you're a big fan of chai tea lattes and that Mike likes his coffee strong and black. That's a great statement to make to people, too, when they ask why you don't drink coffee - LOL! Most importantly, we both know the difference between our temporal pleasures and the eternal grace and power of God. That's what I want to remember as the best part of my day.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  24. Absolutely nothing lasts like Jesus! And nothing can gets us focused and ready to start the day like time with Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and amen, again, Pam! Jesus always gets our day off on the right track.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  25. That looks like an amazing machine! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Cheryl, and it makes the best coffee I've ever tasted. Danny did a great job in researching this for us.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  26. Boa noite minha querida irmã Martha. Eu gosto de café, não de uma forma exagerada. Uma excelente noite de quinta-feira, para a irmã e seus familiares na Geórgia. Um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coffee in the morning, Luiz, but rarely indulge in it after that. If I drink it too late in the day, I might not be able to fall asleep. Thanks for coming by and hugs back to you!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  27. Losing a coffee maker feels like a small disaster, but I love how you turned it into a reminder that only God’s Word lasts forever.
    Beautiful ending--Jesus really is the best part of waking up.
    Blessings, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small disaster, indeed, Veronica, when we stop to think about other things in this life that could go wrong. Fortunately, our new coffee maker is even better than we could have anticipated. Jesus is always the best part of waking up!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  28. Oh Martha, loved the correlation between the coffee maker and how everything passes away but the Word of God...I can so relate to the coffee maker. We have a cheapy as a back up when our Mueller goes. Nice to know that your Cuisinart was a good coffee maker...hope your new one lasts just as long. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this analogy, Debbie. Nice, too, that you have a back up coffee maker just in case. This new one is brewing the best coffee I've ever had, so needless to say, I hope it will be with us for many years to come.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  29. Boa tarde minha querida amiga Martha. Concordo totalmente com o seu comentário. Infelizmente, no Brasil tem pessoas que adoram deuses estranhos. Sou grato a Deus todos os dias, por nossos familiares, conhecerem o Deus verdadeiro. Uma excelente tarde de sexta-feira e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of that fact, Luiz. Are you speaking of indigenous people when you refer to those who worship strange gods? Yes, I rejoice that your family know Jesus as Lord and Savior.
      Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Boa noite minha querida irmã Martha. Muitos brasileiros, são adeptos a religiões da África. Uma excelente noite de sábado, bom final de semana e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that info, Luiz. I'll be praying that they will embrace the saving grace of Jesus. May you have a blessed weekend, too!

      Delete
    4. Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. O Brasil precisa muito de oração. O Espírito Santo, me revelou em 16 de abril de 2025, o ex-presidente Jair Bolsonaro é um tipo de anticristo. Muitas pessoas no Brasil, morreram de covid-19, por causa dele e um Ministro da Saúde, muito incompetente. Uma excelente tarde de domingo, para a irmã e seus familiares na Geórgia, bom início de semana e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus Evangelista João Luiz.

      Delete
    5. I will keep the people of Brazil in prayer, Luiz. Here in the United States, we have found out that those we trusted in government through Covid ordeal lied to us and only let us down and hid so much evil from us all for the sake of power. God will be the only One who will have the last word.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  30. Yes yes coffee and Jesus to start the day. Never heard of this coffee pot though. sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Jean! The two blend perfectly when starting each new day. Hands, down, this is the best coffee maker we've ever had and one I would recommend heartily. So far, it has brewed the most satisfying, rich and aromatic coffee that Danny and I have ever tasted.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  31. Bom dia, Martha
    Que lembrete maravilhoso: "Jesus é a melhor parte de acordar." Com Ele na caminhada, cada dia torna-se mais leve. Também gosto muito de café com leite, sempre tomo de manhã e a noite. Um forte abraço!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy coffee with cream some of the time, Lucinalva, although I usually drink mine black. If I drank coffee at night, I'd never go to sleep! Yes, Jesus is always the best part of any day.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  32. Nice way to start the day ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  33. Our Cuisinart did the same thing, so I bought a Keurig, sigh. Wishing you a great day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drink too much coffee to even consider a Keurig, Linda. I hope you have an amazing day, too!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  34. I'm a plastic pour over person, too. My favorite mornings -- like today -- are the mornings I grind fresh coffee. The aroma is so special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, Carol? It's a heavenly aroma, indeed!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  35. thecontemplativecat here. Over the years I have used different methods to make my coffee. The cheapest was probably the best because I had to pay attention to make it, and then drink it right then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to pay attention can make all the difference, Susan, that's for sure. I so appreciate seeing your comment here today.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  36. Coffee is one of human's best inventions.

    ReplyDelete

A "Beary" Good Cause

  Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. ~Matthew 18:5 Danny's mother, Mimi, loved to collect stuffed bears...