Monday, June 15, 2026

Whispers


 Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. ~Psalm 95:6-7


Now that I've completed organizing my vast collection of printed photos, I'm finally, finally tackling all the memorabilia we retrieve from my mother's house when she passes away.  I've only scratched the surface when this photo in the header abruptly grabs my attention, evoking precious memories sweeter than the fragrance of new-mown hay.

Yes, that's me perched in the pony cart next to my cousin, John, who is confidently guiding Queenie, the gentle Shetland pony, as she dutifully pulls her load.  Seated on the stone wall is my Uncle Harris, John's father, who is married to my dad's only sister, Mary Jane.  Visits with them at their farm every summer when our family makes our annual pilgrimage back to Massachusetts to reunite with relatives, are always enchanting adventures.

Although the term wouldn't be coined until years later, Uncle Harris meets the dictionary definition of a horse whisperer.  My brother, Bill, and I along with John, love to accompany him when he would walk down to the pasture gate to bring the horses into the ancient red barn for the evening.

Cautioning us to stand well to the side of the dirt path at a safe distance from straying hooves, Harris opens the gate; its subtle creaking is enough to alert the horses in the field.  Their heads fly up from where they are grazing and swivel, ears high and alert, toward the sound.  The moment they catch sight of Harris, they trot headlong in this direction, snorting and whinnying their greetings long before reaching him.  Once through the pasture gate, each horse heads obediently toward the barn and enters its respective stall to wait patiently for their master to feed them their nightly grain.

Uncle Harris never has to call or whistle to get the horses' attention.  As he feeds them, he gently strokes each one and speaks in a voice so soft and low, I can't understand the words he says.  But I am certain that these powerful, free-spirited creatures, so docile in his presence, understand every word he utters.  They know where they belong and to whom they belong; they are the horses of his pasture, the herd utter his care.

So, imagine this with me for a moment:  Jesus is standing at the pasture gate.  Does He have to whoop and holler to get your attention?  Or, are you already running toward Him with gladness, thankful to be in His care?

It shouldn't take more than a whisper from Jesus to convince us to follow Him.

Amen!

58 comments:

  1. Your post touches my heart. The horse whisperer uncle and his kind relationship with the horses. When Jesus calls his sheep they know his voice and will run to him. Jesus is the way to heaven, he says he is the only way to the Father. So beautiful to think of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post touched you deeply, Terra. Yes, we know the voice of the Shepherd as the horses knew that of Uncle Harris when we believe in Jesus, and that's such a comforting sound.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Powerful writing, gave me chills. And what a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ginny, for your kind words here. Yes, some memories are so vivid and poignant they need to be shared.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. In 2013, my younger brother and I (the older brother said he couldn't do it) helped my mother "disassemble" her life before she went into assisted living. That's what the three of us did, and we made sure to save what was was important -- photographs, certain keepsakes, letters, a Bible she treasured but rarely read. She had done the same thing for her mother. My brother and I agreed it was one of the hardest things we'd ever done. At some point we realized we were also disassembling part of our own lives as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glynn, for sharing this poignant experience with all of us here. As I mentioned, it's taken me ages to even sort through things we simply brought from the house because it is such a wealth of memories to sift through. My heart goes out to you and your brother for having to disassemble your mother's wonderful, beautiful life.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful description of your memories of youth and your uncle Harris. This is one of your best posts ever. Thank you.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Victor, you are too kind! I'm so glad this post spoke to your heart.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Oh I loved this, Martha. Such tenderness in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debby, for your kind words here. I can't remember Harris without thinking of his affection for and understanding of those horses.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Thank you Martha. This post would make a great devotion .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Regina. I'd like to think so, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful, thoughtful, well-written. Thanks for sharing this with us, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful, Martha-- memories like that are obviously priceless. I redall someone referring to times like that as "slices of eternity" and, indeed, they are. What touches my heart most about it is not just the glimpse into your life and into times and relationships that were so precious to you. What always amazes me is the power of those memories reaches out to bless those who had no personal part in them. The joy and sweet fellowship of those moments don't die with the passage of time and the loss of some of the participants. They only die when we stop sharing them. So thank you, and God bless you for keeping those bright, delightful times alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you said here, Ron - "They (the memories) only die when we stop sharing them." Indeed, they are priceless slices of eternity that I hope one day my grandchildren will share with their own grandchildren.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful memory of a time long gone. I love the picture and the message that accompanies it. The title reminds me of an old hymn that surfaced yesterday.

    There's within my heart a melody
    Jesus whispers sweet and low
    Fear not I am with thee
    Peace be still
    In all of life's ebb and flow.

    Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
    Sweetest name I know
    Fills my every longing
    Keeps me singing
    As I go.

    Love, peace, and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debra, that hymn is a perfect fit to this dear memory. Uncle Harris and Aunt Mary Jane were devout Christians, and their gentle influence spoke volumes to my heart and came to fruition in my adult years. Thank you so much for sharing these meaningful verses here, my friend.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Amen! Yes, Martha, so well written! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Terri! Uncle Harris certainly had a gift from God that I've always admired.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I'm so glad this touched your heart, Jo-Anne.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  12. Martha, this is such a beautiful photo and story. Mike and I love photos like this and the history that comes with them. I like how you describe your uncle as a horse whisperer. I know my Good Shepherd's voice and thankful to be in His care. How amazing He is even willing to leave the ninety-nine to search fro me and bring me back to His fold. God bless, dear Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Karen! How blessed we all are that our loving Good Shepherd would leave the ninety-nine for the sole reason of saving the one that is lost. Uncle Harris' and Aunt Mary Jane's house is still standing proud and renovated from its first construction in the 1700s. Their son, Andrew, is the caretaker now. Knowing it is still in the family is such a comfort.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  13. OH golly, Martha! This really got to me! What a beautiful picture, first of all! It really should be framed...amazing! And then the story of your Uncle and the horses, etc....such a beautiful picture of Jesus whispering in our ears how much He loves us and cares for us. And yes, when the time comes, all He will have to do is stand at the open gate, and we will come running into His open arms. I picture my friend Maura, who entered heaven's gates last week, doing exactly that. Jesus just whispered her name, and she flew into His arms and is safely residing there now. This brought tears to my eyes, but they are happy tears for Maura, and will be happy tears for me when my time comes to answer that call. Meanwhile, yes, I do listen for His voice everywhere I go. If we pay attention, we will hear Him in so many unexpected places... Thank you for this today. I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very pleased to know that this post spoke (whispered) to you in such a resounding way, Pamela. I never doubt that your ears are attuned to His whispers in any place at any time. Your heart is one with His, and I'm sure Maura is now with Jesus, rejoicing in HIs presence.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  14. What a lovely illustration, Martha. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post.
      Blessings!

      Delete

  15. What a powerful post. Great story, Martha and thanks for sharing it, I enjoyed reading it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bill! I'm glad you enjoyed this post; I enjoyed writing it.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  16. Brilliant analogy, Martha! I can almost hear the horses' whinnying; their eager hooves approaching home. They know their master; shouldn't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, we should know our Master, Myra! I'm so glad you enjoyed the analogy here today, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  17. Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Sou grato todos os dias, ao Senhor Jesus, pela minha vida, mesmo no meio das adversidades Ele, nunca me deixou só. Hoje, pela misericórdia do Senhor Jesus, tive a oportunidade de pregar ma oração, Igreja Assembleia de Deus, onde eu congrego. Uma excelente tarde de quarta-feira e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz. Grande abraço do seu irmão carioca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opportunity for you, Luiz! I know you must be grateful to be able to preach God's Word to those who need to hear of His love and grace.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  18. Very touching post Martha....and I can easily see that this could be turned into a book. I so enjoy how you reach out in every post with great wisdom of including an analogy to spread the love of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how my blog started, Shug, as a daily devotional way back in 2011. I had no exposure except for Facebook, which I ditched several years ago, but I literally heard the voice of God telling me to write a daily devotion for Him. WOW! How inadequate I felt! Now, I'm revisiting some of these early posts since my following has increased so that I can re-do them here and also share with Victor's Christian Lounge. Stay tuned!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  19. What a beautiful word picture you have painted here, Martha! It is beautiful imagery of what a true follower of Jesus would do! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gratified to know that my words hit home for you, Pam. It means so much!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  20. Martha this is a lovely picture and your words are so beautiful painting how much we belong to our own dear savior Jesus. Let us pray we keep diligent watch for the gate to open. Take care friend. Thanks so much for being so faithful to visit me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Debbie, may we all keep a watch on the gate that Jesus will open. I'm so glad you enjoyed this post; I always feel so uplifted when I visit with you, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  21. So moving, Martha.
    The way you describe Uncle Harris and the horses makes it easy to picture, and I love how you connect that gentle scene to Jesus calling us.
    Sometimes it really is just a whisper that reaches the heart.
    Thank you for sharing this memory and reflection.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gladdens my heart to know that this post touched yours, Veronica. Thanks so much for your beautiful comment.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  22. Nice comparison. No! I doesn't take much to get my attention when it comes to our Lord. Sorry I am a bit slow at responding after you visit.

    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies needed, Jim! I'm just glad you enjoyed this post and that you took the time to stop by.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  23. God certainly does speak in whispers, not shouts. Though I wish sometimes he would shout at me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Jean. I find myself wishing the same at times.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  24. Oh, my goodness...I am with Jean Wise, sometimes I wish the good Lord would shout at me...I often imagine he is standing there shaking his head at times, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Linda, to have gotten back to you so late!!! I usually see my comments and respond promptly. Please forgive me. I guess I needed to be shouted at, too. LOL!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  25. Bom dia, Martha
    Que foto linda! Imagino a diversão em andar de charrete com o seu primo John e ter o seu tio Harris observando vocês. Esses momentos passam e marcam a vida. Como é gratificante aproveitar as oportunidades! É uma imensa alegria correr em direção a Jesus. Desejo um ótimo final de semana. Beijos, querida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please forgive me, Lucinalva, for being so late in responding to your sweet and thoughtful comment here. Somehow, as I did with Linda's above, I missed it! Yes, that memory is as vibrant today as it was so many years ago.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  26. What a lovely story to accompany that photo, Martha. I can see that image rendered as a painting, it's so well-framed! The lesson you drew from that memory is a worthy one; may we all keep a listening ear tuned to our Heavenly Father, especially as the remainder of the "day" grows short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this story so full of sweet memories for me, Nancy. And yes, may we always listen attentively for Jesus' whispers, asking us to come home to Him.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  27. Bom dia minha querida irmã Martha. Temos uma capital, chamada Boa Vista, no estado de Roraima, ela é a única capital brasileira, que está no verão, as demais capitais brasileiras estão no inverno. Ontem fui visitar uma querida, irmã de uma Igreja Evangélica, que completou 100 anos. Uma excelente manhã de segunda-feira, para você e seus familiares na Geórgia e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for setting the record straight, Luiz, with regards to your seasons in Brazil. How wonderful that the woman you visited turned 100, too! I'm sure she has much wisdom to share. You have a wonderful week, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  28. Such a neat photo and story, Martha! Thank you for sharing with us. God bless you and Danny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this post, Cheryl.
      Blessings!

      Delete

The Light of Life

  When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but wil...