Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. ~Proverbs 16:3
We spend the evening of July 4th viewing consecutive shows on Fox News highlighting events happening on the national mall and around the country as everyone is gearing up to celebrate our 250th birthday. Danny and I know we can't possibly stay up for the grand finale of fireworks as we have church the next day, but we certainly enjoy what festivities we do see, especially the earth-shaking fly-overs, and we admire the thousands who are braving the sweltering heat to secure their place on the mall to hear our president speak and watch the momentous fireworks which will ensue.
Then the unexpected, unwelcomed interruption occurs. A thunderstorm with lightning is fast approaching. The news anchors who are broadcasting from an open, raised pavilion are swiftly ushered into a safe trailer, dubbed the Freedom Bunker, which also serves as protection for musical guests, celebrities and, most importantly, WWII veterans who are to be honored on stage later that evening. In a twinkling, the carefully choreographed coverage has all but dissolved and the challenge of thinking on their feet reveals just how talented and versatile these Fox News anchors are.
The ways in which they interact so seamlessly and congenially with the people into whose midst they are thrown displays to a person their genuine concern for and interest in others and their stories. More than once, Danny and I find ourselves exchanging looks of amazement at everyone's candor and friendliness as the coverage, now more personal and meaningful, takes on a life and energy all its own.
From the singing of God Bless America by the 106-year-old Cpl. Wilbur "Jack" Myers to Jason Crabb and Michael W. Smith belting out Awesome God in an impromptu duet, to the excellent rendition of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by a talented trio of ladies dressed like the Andrews Sisters, we are blissfully afforded a sneak peek at the entertainment we would have seen later that evening if we were night owls. Danny and I repeatedly remark while watching this spontaneous, unscripted version of our nation's birthday is the best, most memorable, we've ever seen.
We witness, in real time, the very embodiment of American resilience. The lightning may flash and the thunder roll along our nation's journey, but our belief in a sovereign God and the freedoms only He can guarantee will never be defeated. United as One Nation Under God, we can celebrate our 250th birthday and look forward to the next 250 years with the hope and confidence that only comes from the Lord.
Let us pray that with each passing day, we become that more perfect union that our Founding Fathers envisioned for our great nation so many years ago.
Amen!
.jpg)
I agree...thank you Martha Jane, wishing you a beautiful day.
ReplyDeleteI had a feeling you would, Linda. May you have a beautiful day, too!
DeleteBlessings!
We saw highlights of the celebrations broadcast live here too. Best wishes to all of you on your 250th Anniversary.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you always.
I'm so glad our brothers and sisters across the pond could see some of the celebrations, too, Victor. We relished every moment.
DeleteBlessings!
Your words bring the celebration to life!
ReplyDeleteI’m inspired by the way you saw God’s hand turning disruption into blessing, and how faith carried the evening.
May we continue to grow into that “more perfect union.”
Blessings, Martha!
I'm so glad my words did that for you, Veronica. It's humbling, indeed! Yes, may we all strive, with God's help, to make our country a more perfect union.
DeleteBlessings!
Interruptions are often better and more meaningful than planned activities. Thank you for a great example, Martha.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the truth, Diana? Serendipity is often the best outcome to anything we could ever plan. It certainly made for a memorable evening.
DeleteBlessings!
My wife convinced me to watch it. I'd thought, "Just another big fireworks show," but then I watched it, for the last three hours. I watched the speech, knowing that the media hated it before he gave it. The recognitions of the veterans an the astronauts. The understanding of what America is. The fireworks, that seemed to go on forever. And I thought, "This is about as American as you can get, with all the reverence, spectacle, splendor, boasting, and sentiment."
ReplyDeleteI agree, Glynn - this was America at its quintessential best! Most of it, of course, I had to catch the next day, but what we saw was so moving, meaningful and represented so well the country we love and cherish. May we look forward with hope! (And I'm glad Janet convinced you to watch it.)
DeleteBlessings!
Well celebrated!
DeleteThanks, Christine. We literally had a blast!
DeleteBlessings!
What a beautiful reminder that the Lord is not only present in our carefully made plans, but also in the interruptions.
ReplyDeleteI loved how you noticed the warmth, kindness, and human connection in the middle of it all. That is such a good reminder to keep our eyes open for God’s goodness, even when the evening takes a completely different turn than planned.
Oh, yes, Aritha, the Lord is with us always, and sometimes, most prominently in the interruptions that make us sit up and take notice of what is truly important in life. It's His aim to keep us alert and awake to all He has in store if we choose to be aware and mindful of His blessings around every corner.
DeleteBlessings!
Dear Martha, this is a perfect post for this theme, dear friend. And what a great reminder as well. Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that this post struck a positive chord with you, Linda. May we always give thanks to God who can take seemingly unfortunate situations and turn them into the most positive, inspirational experiences we could ever have.
DeleteBlessings!
This is encouraging to read! We, also, watched everything from the T.V., There were so many storms that night!
ReplyDeleteIndeed, there were some unanticipated storms, but I'm so glad for the people who had the foresight to have those freedom bunkers right there on site, Anon. I'm glad you had the chance to watch the 250th celebration on TV. When we stop and think about it, that is such a gift in itself.
DeleteBlessings!
Oh goodness! The last comment, about this being encouraging to read, made me anonymous! I am Ginny.
ReplyDeleteHi, Ginny! I so appreciate your very thoughtful comment as you can tell from my response above.
DeleteBlessings again!
🇺🇸 God bless America! 🙏 Yes, He is our "sovereign God and the freedoms only He can guarantee will never be defeated." Thank you, Martha, Love and blessings to you!
ReplyDelete"God bless America, land that I love!" As long as we place our Father first in our lives and in this nation, we reap His goodness.
DeleteBlessings!
An insightful lesson, Martha, from the interrupted celebration on July 4th. It HAS been the American ideal through the decades to make the best of it with trust in God and good cheer: through war, economic depression, disaster, and more. Often it's people of the Christian faith who embody that ideal, and inspire others to do the same.
ReplyDeleteYou have it exactly right, Nancy. We are a nation founded on Judeo-Christian principles and we should always remember that it's only by the grace of God that we were founded in the first place. It is by that faith that we have endured all the hardships and setbacks that have come to pass, never losing hope that we truly are that One Nation Under God. We have so much for which to be grateful!
DeleteBlessings!
Well said! Amen!! xo
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Terri! So glad to know so many people like you here in Blogland who cherish the freedoms and opportunities we have in this great nation.
DeleteBlessings!
Diane and I were right there with you guys all the way, Martha, including your response to the "Freedom Bunker" and the heartwarming and inspiring things that took place in there. I've never been more proud of my country, and, like you, have never seen my favorite news people at any point when I was more proud of the kind of people America is still able to produce.
ReplyDeleteWe've watched all those guys so much that they feel almost like family, and how they handled that unexpected turn of events was one of the best real things I've ever seen on TV. Most of the professional media personalities, regardless of their role, are never seen in a situation that isn't scripted, or at least orchestrated and managed. But there was no way to do that on Saturday night.
The one place we diverged from your July 4th Saturday night was that against our better judgment, Diane and I stayed up, not till the "bitter end," but to the explosive and extravagantly glorious end. It was fun until we had to get up and get to our assigned greeting post at church by 7:30. But it was more than worth it--and so, by the way, was the blessing of re-living it with you and Danny in your uplifting post. Thank you for bringing us into your home once again--never a disappointing visit.
So happy to know that we had companions like Diane and you right there with Danny and me during this entire, once in a lifetime experience, Ron! I had a feeling you would both be on board, appreciating the bob and weave in the moment and celebrating every moment of serendipity by the news anchors that are truly lovers of the American people and the freedoms we celebrate together. I'm still reeling with delight to have been a part of this heady celebration with all of America as we mark our 250th and move with faith and God's blessings into the next chapter of our story as His city on the hill.
DeleteBlessings!
Amen, Martha! We, too, watched the same shows -- your words make me feel we were right there with you and Danny.
ReplyDeleteAnd that's truly a comfort to know, Myra! As we watch certain programs that touch our hearts, I find myself hoping that those we care for might be witnessing the same with the same sentiments. I guess we were right there with you, too!
DeleteBlessings!
We weren't watching all of the programming, and now I wish we were, but we did watch a recording of the President's speech the next day. It was great, with all of those "old" soldiers being honored along with our American Flag in different eras. Such great stories! I'm so thankful for our nation and for our President and for all those who had a part in the programming of the events for this special celebration. I am very proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free!! Amen...
ReplyDeleteI love that you quoted the lyrics from Lee Greenwood's iconic song, Pamela, and oh, how I feel the same way! The veterans of WWII were the highlight of the evening for us, too. Truly, they were the Greatest Generation as they were willing to lay down their lives for their friends and those yet to be born. President Trump's speech was wonderful, too, I agree. I honestly think that God spared him at Butler for just a time as this.
DeleteBlessings!
I enjoyed reading this
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you enjoyed the read, Jo-Anne.
DeleteBlessings!
Hi Martha - a bit late in commenting. I was gone all day.
ReplyDeleteLoved this post, Martha! Thanks for the play by play of the programming! There was so much going on here locally that we didn't watch much and what we did were a couple of documentaries. I would have preferred to be there experiencing it all in person. That would have been memorable! I'm glad our nation was able to truly celebrate this great accomplishment and show the world, this is us!
I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, Debby! Yes, it would have been exquisitely special to have been there in person, but this was the next best thing. I'm so proud to be an American and so proud of all the freedoms we share, thanks be to God. May our nation celebrate many more birthdays.
DeleteBlessings!
I agree with you Martha - what a great celebration. I think it was the best one I had ever seen as well. It was so HOT! I have been reading too, with all the World Cup visitors coming over how impressed they were with the USA. And 80% of all Americans have a/c's while it is the exact reverse in other countries. We are so blessed.
ReplyDeleteWe are definitely blessed to be Americans, Sandie, there's no doubt about it. I loved, too, that so many people here for the World Cup got to see our amazing nation up close and personal, and enjoy our air conditioning! Let's always remember to be grateful to God for all He provides.
DeleteBlessings!
Oh wow, well written account of a special day. Our wedding anniversary is on the 4th of July, we will have a party this Friday, yeah, complete with a USA flag!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful, Marja, that your anniversary is on July 4th! Have a great celebration, my friend, and so glad you enjoyed the post.
DeleteBlessings!
Bom dia, Martha
ReplyDeleteQue linda comemoração! Parabéns para os Estados Unidos. Mesmo diante das adversidades, ter um coração grato faz toda diferença. Em Cristo, formamos uma grande família. Obrigada pelas palavras de força no meu blog, Deus te abençoe sempre. Um forte abraço.
In Jesus, we do become one big family, Lucinalva. What a wonderful thing that is! Yes, we had a marvelous celebration of our 250th, one I will remember for as long as I live.
DeleteBlessings!
Such a great analogy, Martha. Amen to this: 'The lightning may flash and the thunder roll along our nation's journey, but our belief in a sovereign God and the freedoms only He can guarantee will never be defeated." Yes! God bless dear and God bless America.
ReplyDeleteI'm humbled and grateful that that particular phrase leapt out at you, Karen. That means so much! May God never cease to keep and bless His one nation under Him.
DeleteBlessings!
Well said, Martha. God is always there ready for any situation. All we have to do is keep our eyes open and be thankful for his grace.
ReplyDeleteI love what you said here, Bill: "God is always there ready for any situation." Absolutely true! It is up to us to completely trust in Him and His unfailing love and providence.
DeleteBlessings!
Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Tudo que entra dentro da casa da minha mãe, consagro ao Senhor Jesus. Em agosto de 2026, fará 5 anos que eu fui consagrado a Evangelista. Uma excelente tarde de quarta-feira para todos os seus familiares na Geórgia. Um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus e carioca, Evangelista João Luiz.
ReplyDeleteOh, wow, Luiz! Now that's an anniversary to be celebrated both in heaven and on earth. Hugs back to you!
DeleteBlessings!
Oh wow, Martha, great review of the celebration! Though I wasn't able to watch it myself, I heard about it from a friend yesterday over lunch. And it sounds like a grand event, even with the surprise interruption. I agree with your prayer for a more perfect union. We need a more Christ-centered union most of all, the vision of our founders fulfilled.
ReplyDeleteA Christ-centered union is exactly what our nation needs, Debra, I agree. I came away from this "interruption" feeling more convinced than ever that God truly blessed our nation at the outset and will continue to do so if "my people called by my name will humble themselves and pray." May our nation thrive because He chooses to protect us and we choose to obey.
DeleteBlessings!
Martha - what a wonderful sharing - we did not see this event but it sounds like we certainly missed this spectacular celebration. Amen friend to your thoughts! Hugs
ReplyDeleteIt was an absolutely unforgettable experience, Debbie! I really felt like a kid again to get such excitement and delight out of it all.
DeleteBlessings!
We were in bed at the time. I pray for the Christ centered republic our founding fathers foresaw being continued and strengthened. Amen!
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings
Amen, Jim! Yes, let's all continue to pray for this American experiment to endure and that God watch over us with love and care.
DeleteBlessings!
We recorded the TV festivities of the 4th and are still watching segments of that these several days later, fast-forwarding through the commercials. The tall ships parade and the 7 Natural Wonders of the USA have been my favorites.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wise choice you made, Barbara. We often pause shows we want to see together for that very reason. The tall ships always take my breath away and the fireworks were beyond definition for their splendor. May God continue to shed His grace on us.
DeleteBlessings!
So wonderful to watch the festivities unfold and to see American resilience on display! Incredible! It was a wonderful day here too!! Blessings to you dear friend!
ReplyDeleteIt was absolutely thrilling to witness, Marilyn. I'm so glad to hear that you and yours had a wonderful 4th, too!
DeleteBlessings!
It was a wonderful and memorable day. Grateful to have experienced it.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes, Carol, it certainly was and I'm so glad to know that you enjoyed it as much as I did.
DeleteBlessings!
Bom.dia minha querida amiga e irmã Martha. Sou Evangelista na, Assembleia de Deus onde eu congrego, aqui na Região Metropolitana da cidade do Rio de Janeiro. Faço parte do Ministério de Louvor da Igreja onde eu congrego. Teremos um grande Congresso de Mulheres em.11 e 12 de setembro, farei o solo de um.louvor e também ajudarei em alguns Louvores de uma de nossas congregações. Terei que ensaiar vários Louvores. Uma excelente manhã de segunda-feira para você e seus familiares na Geórgia, uma excelente manhã de segunda-feira e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you sang in church, too, Luiz. I think that's awesome you will be doing a solo. Quite the honor!
DeleteBlessings!
Thank you for your thoughtful words. It's good to stop for a while and think about the situation we have been in.
ReplyDeleteThank you, RTC.
DeleteBlessings!