Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Something We Can All Agree On

 


Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting.  Let all the people say, "Amen!"  Praise the Lord. ~Psalm 106:48

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. ~Hebrews 13:8


Once again, the possibility of keeping the USA on one time year-round instead of switching semi-annually, is on the table.  The House of Representatives passes a bill just last week to keep Daylight Savings Time permanent.  There are already doubts that the Senate will vote in the affirmative.  However, I, for one, am happy that it's at least being discussed, and I'm hoping that they will come to a bi-partisan consensus agreeable to the majority of Americans.

The following quote in a July 16th press release from the AP encapsulates the essence of why time changes matter:  Currently, the shift is forward in spring and back to standard time in fall as a way to give people more daylight time in the summer evenings.  But the semi-annual change has few fans - and AP-NORC* poll last year found that only 12% of American adults were in favor of it, while almost half opposed it.  Proponents of a single time include the American Medical Association and American Academy of Sleep Medicine - outfits to whom daily rhythms are deeply important.

I can tell you from personal experience that those daily rhythms are of utmost importance to me.  And the older I get, the more I find my body craves a dependable routine.  Even when I was much younger, having to adjust to new sleep schedules and dealing with growing children became irritatingly problematic, especially the "spring forward" aspect of the whole ordeal.  Add to that a cat and a dog who had no concept of time, and things could and did go south in a hurry.

In the end, necessary adjustments are realized, but why put us through this mess in the first place?  I know there will be plenty of opinions regarding whether we should remain on Daylight Savings Time or permanently revert to Standard Time, and I'm sure, too, depending on where in the country you live, you much prefer one over the other.  Or perhaps, you don't have strong feelings either way.  Pro or con, I'd love to hear from you in the comments.  This should produce a lively discussion for all who choose to participate!

We can certainly agree or disagree about time changes here on earth, but I take great comfort in knowing that our God is the unchanging, everlasting Father.  Time never dictates His agenda.  He is beyond our worldly understanding of time, yet never inaccessible in the present moment.  What a blessing that is!

And I think that's something we can all agree on.

Amen!

*National Opinion and Research Center

19 comments:

  1. I have never understood this changing of times backwards and forwards. Surely we have more daylight in summer whatever the clock says what time it is.

    In Scandinavian countries they have very limited daylight. By the time they get up in the morning and prepare breakfast it is time to get to bed again.

    Also there's confusion with each country having a different time. When it's noon here in the UK it is a different time where you are or where someone else is. Why is that?

    Even with God time is confusing. It is said that to Him one day is like a thousand years. Must have been very confusing when He called Moses up the mountain. Did He want him now or in a thousand years' time? I pity Moses. When he came down with the Commandments he had to go up all over again in another thousand years time to get a new set of Commandments. No wonder the Israelites rebelled and went round in circles in the desert for 40 years. Or was it longer? Or shorter?

    I'm confused.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you've thoroughly managed to confuse me here, Victor - LOL! Thanks so much for contributing so richly to this discussion, my friend.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I remember when it was implemented as an energy-savings step -- during the 1973 oil embargo. The debate raged, but Congress enacted it, simply because it needed to look like it was doing something during the embargo. My vote is ditch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my vote, too, Glynn. I really don't care which time is decided upon in the end, but we have a lot of advantages in the South even when we're on Standard Time. I'm interested to hear what other folks think.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Victor's comment has me smiling 😃 and in deep thought, Margaret. LOL! I hope you have a lovely week, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's classic Victor for sure, Linda! God broke the mold when He gave him that great sense of humor.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I take comfort in the truth that while His mercies are new every morning. He stays the same-morning, noon and night and every time in between!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Bill! We can all take great comfort in that knowledge.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. The time change is just one more thing to do twice a year, I wouldn't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t stand the twice-a-year time change circus. Pick one, stick with it, and let’s be done! Personally, I’m all about standard time. Sure, each state can make its own choice, but in California, where listening to the people is apparently optional, we’re stuck. Back in 2018, we voted for standard time probably because we already have enough sunshine and sizzling heat. Who’s asking for an extra hour of blazing evenings? Yet here we are, years later, and nothing’s changed. Not a smidge. Not a diddly squat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where you live, Debby, you most definitely need to be on Standard Time. I'm afraid that Californian politicians aren't in the habit of listening to their constituents; they'd rather tell them what they should think and what they should do. Praying for a positive change for all of you!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other, Martha. But living 15+ years in Arizona where the clocks stayed the same all year was nice. I'm trying not to take this whole debate seriously; we'll adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see, Myra, Arizona had the right idea from the get-go! I'm not counting on our Congress to do the right thing when it comes to this, but we will see. One time would be so much easier.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. They will do what they will do, and what we think doesn't really matter in the long run. I would vote to leave it at the standard time. There are only a few weeks on each end that made a difference anyway. Days are longer in the summer, whichever time is used. Bring back the sundials that were used for years and years. Noon is noon. God put the sun in the sky. It rises and sets. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about the fact that Daylight Savings Time doesn't really make a big difference, especially in the summer. I'm all for bringing back the sundials, too - LOL! Can you imagine? And I'm so thankful that God saw fit to create our solar system just the way He did. Perfect!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. I hate changing the clocks twice a year, and have not seen ANY good reason for it!!! I would like to keep Daylight Savings time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Olá, Martha
    No Brasil não tem mais horário de verão. Concordo com essa decisão. Um forte abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daylight savings is something that I can take or leave and I feel it drags on as we have 6 months of it

    ReplyDelete

Something We Can All Agree On

  Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting.  Let all the people say, "Amen!"  Praise the Lord. ~P...