The Lord watches over you - the Lord is the shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. ~Psalm 121:5-6
Summer is not a season that Danny and I ever truly embrace. While I understand that many of you adore the summer months and mourn when they are passed, I'd venture to say that the majority of you live far north of our Georgia locale and ideally, close to the seashore where ocean breezes radically modify brutally hot temperatures. I do recall loving those weeks in summers long ago when we would visit relatives in Massachusetts who lived along the coast. The weather, it seemed, was perfect!
Beginning last Friday, we fall under the wickedly warm influence of a heat dome. Temperatures are predicted to soar to the nineties every day for at least a week. Add to this no significant precipitation during this time, and that's a signal for us to hunker down in our air-conditioned safe space, venturing abroad only to attend church or run errands that cannot be postponed.
Danny, in particular, is extremely sensitive to high temperatures. He thinks it may have something to do with all the heart medication he has to take on a daily basis. But whatever the cause, simply moving across a scorching parking lot to access a grocery store isn't an option for him.
I don't like the sweltering heat, but thankfully, I have a higher tolerance for it. when we go grocery shopping this past Friday (predicted as the coolest day in the string of scorchers to come), we take my little Scion instead of Danny's Subaru as I've never felt comfortable driving the latter. We can pull up to the store front, flip on the hazard lights, and engage in what we used to call a "Chinese Fire Drill" in the days before political correctness descended, then Danny can quickly enter the store while I hunt for a place to park.
When we're finally in the check-out line, I head back out to the parking lot so I can have the car right there at the curb for Danny the moment he emerges from the store. This routine definitely keeps his exposure to the debilitating heat to a minimal. Once we're home, since our yard is so shaded, he can let down his guard and breathe a sigh of relief.
As the Psalmist states above, the Lord is our shade at our right hand. Trusting completely in Him, we know that the sun cannot cause us harm on even the most simmering of summer days. God's plan to place Danny and me together in marriage so many years ago is no random coincidence.
It is an intentional act on His part. Knowing from the beginning and the end of our lives how we could, and would, be of help to one another, in His great love, God brought us together for His purpose and our benefit.
And for that, and so many other blessings, we give Him all our thanks and praise.
Amen!

We have been living under the same heat dome, but ours has also included crazy storms. High winds, hard rain then sun. And humidity. I enjoy the heat, especially when riding, but this is even wearing me down. I guess old age kicking in is telling! :) Stay cool and stay safe Martha and Danny.
ReplyDeleteI've been keeping up with the weather up your way, Bill, and have been praying for all those who are victims of those terrible floods. Yes, I think that day after day of oppressive temperatures would wear down young and old alike. We will stay as cool as we possibly can.
DeleteBlessings!
Yes, the heat has been terrible here as well, and it is already 80 degrees this morning at 5:30 a.m.!!! Today they say we are under an "EXTREME HEAT WARNING", not just a heat "advisory", so we will take the warning, and like you, hunker down and stay cool indoors as much as possible. And I love what you said about "God's plan to place Danny and me together in marriage so many years ago is no random coincidence." My hubby and I were just talking about the same thing as we celebrated our 57th anniversary. God moved heaven and earth to bring us together and He is the One Who has kept us together all these years. Without His divine plan and intervention, it could have well turned out differently. And like you, "we give Him all our thanks and praise!" Amen. Stay cool my friends!!
ReplyDeleteGod certainly has blessed you both, Pamela, with 57 wonderful years of marriage, and I'm not surprised that you discussed this as you celebrated your anniversary this past weekend. God is the thread that sews us together and keeps us together through good times and bad. Y'all stay cool, too, and don't go anywhere you don't have to!
DeleteBlessings!
We’ve had scorching weather too, Martha, but today offers a bit of reprieve—only in the 80s. However, I will take this over ice storms any day!
ReplyDeleteI hear you about those ice storms, Diana. With all our trees here, we dread those even more than the heat waves. So glad to know you're catching a break in the heat today.
DeleteBlessings!
It's hot all over, including here in St. Louis. It broke a bit yesterday, after a wek of heat warnings. But I grew up in New Orleans, where we had three seasons -- summer, July, and August.
ReplyDeleteLOL! I sure hear you about New Orleans weather, Glynn. Y'all are a hearty stock, for sure, to be able to stand that kind of heat. Stay cool!
DeleteBlessings!
That heat sounds punishing.
ReplyDeleteIt isn't fun in the least, Christine, but we will manage.
DeleteBlessings!
We have had pretty high temperatures for the last two months here in The Netherlands, it has been hot and dry. No AC here :) I enjoy shade in our garden and grass under my feet, thank God.
ReplyDeleteOne of the things European fans raved about when they visited during the FIFA games was American air conditioning, Marja. Sorry it's been so hot for you in the Netherlands, but glad you can find some respite in the shade.
DeleteBlessings!
Yes, I saw that on the socials, the raving about AC in the USA, even in the stadium :)
DeleteWe so enjoyed their positive and enthusiastic attitudes, that's for sure!
DeleteI just love what you said about you and Danny - and God placing you too together was no random coincidence! Everything our Heavenly Father does has intention. I'm so glad you and Danny have each other. God is so good!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely, Debby! Everything our Father does is intentional, and I'm so grateful for all He has done for us.
DeleteBlessings!
I tolerate the heat. at best, Ms. Martha but if I had my druthers, I would prefer months with semi-regular rainfall and temperatures in the 70s and 80s. Winter isn't too bad either now that I have a roof over my head and am not working cattle. Hang in there friends. Fall's coming!
ReplyDeleteI can imagine that winter was pretty brutal when you were working the ranch, J. D. In both hot and cold weather, it's so delightful to have a roof over our heads, isn't it? I do like that range of temperatures you mentioned here, too, J. D. Perfect!
DeleteBlessings!
God surely planned well when he put the two of you together. Phil and I do the very same thing!! I need a scooter for large stores. So he will let me off, then go park. You have it down to a science. I do not like summer!! Bugs and heat. I do love all the light, though. It is in the 90's here this week, as well.
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful when a couple can work in tandem to the success of both, Ginny. Sounds like God has looked out beautifully for Phil and you, too. Yes, I do love the summer light, but the bugs and heat are definitely a drag.
DeleteBlessings!
It's been super hot here too, Martha! But hopefully our weather is heading your way. We're getting rain today and the temps are topping out in the 80s. I'm hoping it will stay like this for a few days. Thanks as always for a great reminder of God's love and care in all situations. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you've had to suffer in this heat, too, Deb, but I'm glad to know you're taking a turn for the better this week. Yes, when we need it most, God is there to provide the shade and the shelter for us no matter what the weather might do.
DeleteBlessings!
It's been 39*C (102*F) in the shade over here. I'm clever though and did not stay in the shade.
ReplyDeleteIn our kitchen it can be as hot as 180*C (356*F) inside the oven when I'm cooking. I stay out of the oven because there's no room for me to fit in.
As you say, "We give Him all our thanks and praise." Best line in your post. Thank you Martha. God bless you and Danny.
Did I ever share with you that I went on a college study pilgrimage to the United Kingdom in 1996? You all were suffering a heat wave then, too, but because I was from the South in the States, I was able to tolerate it as my classmates seemed to do. Stay cool, Victor, and don't stick your head in any oven! Yes, let's always give the Lord all our thanks and praise no matter what the circumstances.
DeleteBlessings!
You make a good point, Martha - hot summers are nothing new. We've had them in the past several times in 1996 and other years. It has cooled a little over here with some little rain. Praise the Lord all is well.
DeleteGod bless you.
This morning is just a bit cooler for us here, too, which is a welcome surprise. I'll take it! Blessings!
DeletePraise God for A/C! We've had quite a few days in the 90s, but I'm hopeful the worst is over. It's the humidity that makes it hard to breathe that gets to me. You've got the right idea, Martha--hunker down indoors where you can keep cool and comfortable.
ReplyDeleteIt's the humidity that gets to me, too, Nancy. Fortunately, today was a bit drier and it made breathing easier when we were outdoors. Praying that all of the nation can cool down sooner than later.
DeleteBlessings!
I don't recall Augusts of years past being this uncomfortable! And for that reason, we do much the same as you and Danny when grocery shopping. He cut the grass day before yesterday and the effects are still lingering today. I'm actually afraid to learn the number of heat-related instances, but I'm sure they're up there.
ReplyDeleteThanking God this is only our temporary home.
Oh, dear Myra, don't let Tom mow the grass in this heat! Perhaps, there are some folks at your church who would do this for free or at least recommend a reasonable lawn service business that can be booked to do such a chore in this oppressive heat. I don't recall such uncomfortable Augusts either. Where do you suppose God keeps His thermostat?
DeleteBlessings!
The heat and humidity are horrid and oppressive. I SO look forward to October!! You and Danny got it figured out, I think! We do what we have to do to get by, don't we. Amazon offers delivery from Winn Dixie, so I take advantage of that now and then. I also place orders with Sam's Club and either have it delivered or go to the pick-up space and they bring it to the car. It saves money, too, because I'm not shopping the aisles and getting things I don't really need! LOL Sending hugs, Martha!!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great and economic system that you have in place, Terri. Yes, it might cost a bit extra for delivery, but that's more than saved when you don't spend the money on your own gas to get to the store. I'm so impressed that your friends and you still rise early to walk in the mornings before the heat truly bears down upon you. October will be here in God's good time.
DeleteBlessings!
A strong partnership can defeat anything, a lot stronger than being alone. You can divide an uncomfortable situation in half and it make it so much easier to accomplish. Add God and you are all set.
ReplyDeleteAmen to that, Bill! God never meant for any of us to be alone in life, and a strong marriage is such a gift from Him.
DeleteBlessings!
Martha, sounds like a scorcher for sure. Mike, too, cannot handle the hot temps. He walks early mornings to get his cardio in and it's worse on him since his heart attack and journey. And poor Winston has that flat nose, which means his respiratory system is easily compromised in super hot conditions. We are all looking forward to traveling and camping in the Fall temperatures. We've been under a heat warning for a few days in East TN. But it's cooling off here. I love the psalmist words that the Lord is our shade. It definitely paints a picture of a wonderful fortress to escape whatever things are affecting us in this world. God bless!
ReplyDeleteI completely understand why Mike cannot and should not subject himself to high heat, Karen. It certainly does take a toll on folk who've had any type of heart problem. And poor little Winston! I know that pugs are so vulnerable to suffering in the heat. I know y'all are looking forward to traveling and camping again in the fall and I'm looking forward to seeing more videos of your adventures on Fridays Forever. Stay safe and stay cool!
DeleteBlessings!
Truly, you are a "helpmeet" to Danny, and I know he is the same for you, too, with your own needs. I was just the other day telling Gary, once again, how blessed we are to have each other after both of us experienced widowhood. The Lord uses us to help the other all the time and it is a truly blessed, thing!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that word "helpmeet," Barbara - it truly describes the kind of relationship shared by Danny and me and by Gary and you. God has been so gracious to all of us, and I know y'all are as grateful to Him and His provision as we are.
DeleteBlessings!
Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Confesso, que nem parece que estamos no inverno, na maior parte do Brasil. Esse Salmo 121 é muito lindo. Uma excelente tarde de quarta-feira e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz. Que muitos reconheçam que o Senhor Jesus Cristo é o Príncipe da Paz.
ReplyDeleteI love that Psalm, too, Luiz, and I do hope you can enjoy a mild winter where you live.
DeleteBlessings!
Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Obrigado pela visita e pela. Uma excelente tarde de sexta-feira, para a irmã e todos os seus familiares na Geórgia. Um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus Evangelista João Luiz.
DeleteI do enjoy your informative blog, Luiz. May you have a wonderful weekend!
DeleteI am not a fan of the summer heat
ReplyDeleteI don't blame you one bit, Jo-Anne. I know that you in Australia are in the winter months right now, so enjoy the cooler temps.
DeleteBlessings!
I am with you girl - I'm ready to break up with summer. This heat is oppressively unbearable when you add the heat index. Give me sweater weather. Give me a long pleasant fall with warm days and cool nights. But, for now, I am so thankful for air conditioning.
ReplyDeleteWarm days and cool nights - oh, the ecstasy of fall! I love sweater weather, too, Debra, but the seasons of uncomfortable temps and humidity make us even more appreciative of the temporary nature of it all. Let's commit to rolling with the punches.
DeleteBlessings!
we endured heatwaves earlier this summer in the 90's for several weeks. I can't spend much time outside in that kind of heat. My high blood pressure really kicks in if I do. We don't have wooded area near by. We have relied on others to do our yard work. The Lord does provide.
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings
The Lord certainly does and will provide, Jim, and you are wise to depend upon others to tend to the necessary yard work. Nobody our age needs to be out in the heat for a prolonged period of time. It simply isn't wise to do so.
DeleteBlessings!
Martha, it is too hot! For the second go round too. The other got us ready for summer - now we are in summer. I think heart issues like Danny has, are hard in the heat.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that God knew years and years ago - that Rick and I needed each other too.
God is good all the time. Sandie
Yes, Sandie, God IS good each and every moment of each and every day. Hoping these temperatures will drop down soon and we can get a break from this heat.
DeleteBlessings!
Martha, your post, as usual, is so uplifting and encouraging. A blessing to read. I couldn't post on my blog about it but one reason I have been away so long is because my husband Dan has been through major heart surgery. He asked that I not post about it. His surgery was April 28th. He is doing really well now and feeling much better. Dan had a valve replacement, three blockages...I can't remember all that was done but he also has A fib. Surgeon performed 6 procedures during the surgery. So, I understand a little more when you talk about your husband's heart surgery. Just felt like telling you. Thank you Martha Jane,
ReplyDeleteOh, Henny Penny, your husband has certainly been through the wringer! Heart issues are complex and frightening, but it sounds like all Dan's procedures were successful and I'm so very happy that he's feeling well again. That's what those great doctors are for! Thanks so much for sharing this with me as I most certainly understand the trials and tribulations you've been through. On another note, I'm glad you enjoyed today's blog.
DeleteBlessings!
Oh, my, Martha-- As my grandpa would say, I'm the cow's tail again, as in the last thing through the door. Tuesday's are always a challenge for Diane and me, but this week has been even more of a hectic circus than most. I did get to read your post (always endeavor not to miss it, of course), but no chance to sit for a while and contemplate the things the Lord would want me absorb and apply from it.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I'm not a fan of extreme heat--or for that matter, these days I'm not a fan of almost any extreme, especially leftist political ones. But that's another story. What I did appreciate is the thought of how wonderful it is to find shade on one of those blazing hot days. We planted a crepe myrtle tree on the edge of our patio when we moved here and the goal was to have some shade on days like the ones we've had this summer. Unfortunately, to extremely cold winters nearly killed it. But we nursed it along, propped it up with poles, and fertilized it, and this year it has really begun to flourish. Diane and I have loved the feeling of sitting in the small, but growing bit of shade it's beginning to provide.
What came to mind so clearly, and as you pointed out, is how wonderful even the minor protections can feel when the oppression is at its peak. Thank you for the reminder, and for putting up with my late arrivals. We do love you and Danny and look forward to every word we hear from you. So, may God continue to bless you with plenty of shade til the beautiful relief of fall descends on us again.
Your voice, wisdom and encouragement are welcome here any day, any time, Ron! I do love crepe myrtles and I'm glad that Diane and you were able to nurture it in spite of those freezing winters. My dad was a botanist who absolutely loved to garden, and I miss his advice when it comes to tending to different plants and trees. And yes, when oppression is at its peak, even minor protections can go a long way to assuage the situation. May we all rest in God's encompassing and soothing shade during these uncertain days.
DeleteBlessings!
thecontemplativecat here. I hate hate summers. when I was a teen, summers meant canning vegetables, one after the other. In Illinois, summers were so humid that I told someone here in dry CA that you could almost take a knife and cut the air into blocks of water.
ReplyDeleteOh, how I hear you, Susan! With all the corn grown in the midwest, it only adds humidity to the heat index resulting in horrid and oppressive conditions. I recall my mother telling me about the summer they spent in Iowa when my dad was doing field work toward his PhD., and the heat and humidity was beyond brutal.
DeleteBlessings!
Hi Martha, I am relieved that the temperature is more comfortable now here in Montreal. I do love ❤️ Autumn 🍂 colours and crisp, fresh air. My birthday is in late October and although I feel blessed to have four seasons, the heat 🥵 and humidity of the summer makes me prefer the other three seasons more.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this inspiring post. 🙏 Blessings.
I'm glad to hear that your temperatures have moderated somewhat, Linda. What a relief! Yes, I certainly prefer the temps of fall and spring to the hot summers, especially in the South. Glad you enjoyed the post!
DeleteBlessings!
yes this weather has been wild the past few years. Definitely climate is changing. I love how you two work together with groceries.
ReplyDeleteWe absolutely have to, Jean, but there is always joy in this new journey. Too hot for comfort, isn't it?
DeleteBlessings!
Boa tarde, Martha
ReplyDeleteDesejo que o clima volte ao normal. Você e o Danny formam um belo casal. É muito bom ter alguém para compartilhar a vida, agradeço a Deus pela vida do meu esposo e filhos. Lindos versículos! O Senhor cuida de nós. Um forte abraço.
I do, too, Lucinalva. Today was a bit better than it has been previously and we are so grateful for that. I know that you are so grateful for your beautiful family as we are for our children and grandchildren. I can't imagine a better gift!
DeleteBlessings!
Danny is correct in his thought, because it states right on my blood pressure medicine about being in the heat etc. (or is it not being in the heat, whatever, you get what I am saying). This heat/humidity is darn right dangerous. Wishing you a beautiful Saturday.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is dangerous, Linda, and we're being as careful as we possibly can about it. May you have a wonderful weekend, too!
DeleteBlessings!
It got hot here in the northeast for a bit but not for long. Now we are 60 at night and low 70 to 80 in the daytime and I am grateful for it. Heat is not a friend of people's hearts and humidity makes it worse. Thank God for air conditioning. It is a real blessing.
ReplyDeleteHeat certainly is not our friend, Annie, and I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying some bearable temperatures where you live. We sure are thankful for air conditioning, too!
DeleteBlessings!
The heat this year has felt more oppressive to me. Maybe it's my age? I can feel totally sapped if I'm out in it for too long. I've been drinking lots of water this summer. :)
ReplyDeleteWater is definitely a daily routine with me, too, Lisa, whether it's hot or cold. I think the older we get, the more sensitive we become to heat. Take good care of yourself!
DeleteBlessings!
thecontemplativecat here. I also absolutely despise summer. Have always hated it, even as a child. Now, with health issues, I am similar to Danny. It has been 100-105 degrees for the past week.and Parkinson's and Migraines are suffering. Excellent verse. It helped me get a focus away from my misery, turning to God.
ReplyDeleteOh, Susan, I am praying for you! Between the Parkinson's and the migraines, you are the model of bravery and determination to survive and thrive no matter what. You have certainly given me a lesson in perseverance through God's grace that I need to hear right now with my whole heart, mind and soul. Hoping God's blessed shade covers you soon.
DeleteBlessings!