Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Rudolf With Your Nose so Bright . . ."

Romans 2:12
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

To those of you who regularly visit Meditations of my Heart, this confession may come as a bit of a surprise - I love watching" Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" every year at Christmas.  It's been one of my favorites since I was a girl (yes, the show is older than dirt).  Why?  Because, it's a touching story with a Christian message.

What???  Really?  Surely, you must be joking, Martha!  It's a story about Santa and reindeer, the North Pole and elves, jingle bells and ho, ho, ho!  Where is Jesus in THAT?

I'll tell you.

First, I see the Lord in the willingness of both Rudolf and Yukon Cornelius to sacrifice their own lives for their friends.  Did Jesus not say, "Greater love has no one than this:  to lay down one's life for one's friends (John 15:13)?"  And, in His great, infinite, wondrous love for us, did Jesus not make the ultimate sacrifice when He hung on the cross?  Bore the sins of everyone?  Died that we might be free?  Risen that we might have everlasting life in Him?

That similarity in the Rudolph story would, indeed, be enough to argue in favor of a Christian message.  But, there's more . . .

Rudolph, with his nose too bright, and Hermey, the elf who would rather be a dentist than make toys, are misfits.  They are persecuted and shunned by their friends and family.  But, instead of conforming to the demands of the society in which they live, Rudolf and Hermey decide to be "independent together."  The leave the North Pole and set out to make their own way in the world.

As Christians, who are in the world but not of it, don't we all have a bit of the misfit in us, too?  Aren't we often scorned or reviled by those who consider themselves wise in worldly ways?

And, wasn't Jesus considered a misfit by the Pharisees and teachers of the law?  Certainly, our Lord did not fit any religious mold considered righteous by the establishment.  Instead, they declared Him a blasphemer and turned Him over to the Roman authorities.  We know the rest of that story . . .

No, being a misfit isn't safe.  But, when it's for Jesus' sake, it is worth everything.

On the island of misfit toys, King Moonracer tells Rudolf and his friends, "A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child."  That very Christmas, Santa collects all the unwanted toys and delivers them to boys and girls who will love and appreciate them.  The boys and girls who will make them happy.

And, isn't that the way with us?  We can never be truly happy until we understand how much we are loved by God.  Misfits, in all our brokenness and frailties, trials and troubles, loved.  By the King of the Universe.

Unconditionally . . .

And, because of this incomparable love, like Rudolph leading Santa's team through the murky fog, his red nose glowing, we can shine God's light into the darkness.  Bring hope to others.  Show them where true joy and happiness lie.

Misfits, you and I . . .

We can lead the way.

~

Do you have a favorite program which you watch at Christmas?

Will you pray with me?
Father, we thank You for loving us so much that You sent Your beloved Son, Christ Jesus, to die for our sins.  May we always do Your will and walk in Your ways, shining Your glorious light into all the world.  Amen.


29 comments:

  1. Wow, Martha!
    An amazing correlation. One I'd never have seen. It all makes so much sense now.

    Thanks for pulling off my blinders. LoL!
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Chris!
      So glad your blinders are gone. :) I really enjoyed writing this post and hoped it would appeal to folks. Looks like I was right.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Martha, I don't watch much TV, but I do love Rudolph! Always have, along with Frosty LOL.

    Thank you for sharing this. What a wonderful comparison! And you hit it right on the head of the nail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Mary!
      Glad you like the comparison. I was afraid I might be stretching things a bit, but looks like you and others identified with the post.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Oh. My. Word!

    Misfits all!

    What an amazing insight. Thanks for this, Martha. I'll never look at that old show the same way again.

    (Does it say we're old if we remember the first time it came out?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping in, Andy!
      LOL! I DO remember the first time it came on television, but my motto is you're as young as you feel. :)
      And, yes, we are misfits all. I sure enjoy being one and I know you feel the same way.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. I knew I loved Rudolph for some (or all) of the reasons you describe Martha. He represents the misfits in all of us. And proudly does so. In fact, he's one of the few that has his own song. Learning to be who we are, accepting that and living in this world from that place is hard work but really the only way to live. People who don't live from their authentic place may feel like they fit in with everyone else but if they're not comfortable with themselves, why bother?

    Yeay for misfits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Vishnu, hooray for all of us misfits! May we never fit in if we can make a difference. We must always be our authentic selves, no matter what.
      I'm glad that you could make the connection with the Christian message. As I said to others who commented, I felt I went out on a limb with this devotion, but was so pleased that God pointed me in the right direction. I'll just choose to follow His bright and shiny nose!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Dear Martha,

    I haven't heard of this show before this and no, we have no such shows exclusively for Christmas but what I loved was the message that this post gave me. As always, I leave with something to ponder and wonder when I come here.

    Wishing you the joy and peace of this season.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Susan!
      Glad the message inspired you and hope you will get to watch Rudolph. :)
      Joy and peace to you, too!

      Delete
  6. Ah, I forgot. I do love the song, "Rudolf the red-nosed reindeer . . ."

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had never heard this story about Rudolf and what a beautiful one it is. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Rimly, and glad you liked the story. It's a great little film!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. This was just so sweet. My son James loves this movie and watches it several times every Christmas. I don't know that I have a favorite Christmas movie myself. But now I have a new appreciation for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Galen!
      Yes, this was always a favorite with my children, too, and I can't wait to watch it with my granddaughter when she is a bit older. :)
      Glad you enjoyed the post!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  9. I think we all love these holiday shows that we've enjoyed since childhood. I always see so much Divine communication in them, and most especially in The Grinch. When his heart "grew ten times its size" that day...that moment always makes me tear up. Rudolph, and particularly the Misfit Toys, have a similar effect on my heart. I am always brought to that deep, inward place of appreciation when I revisit these old friends from childhood. Think how many generations they've impacted, and how many to come will grow and learn valuable Life Lessons in the guise of fuzzy, animated critters. Very profound, indeed, as is your own interpretation. You gave me more to ponder and that's always a powerful benediction.

    Blessings and love to you this holiday season, my dear one.

    - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Dawn, and for your oh, so thoughtful comment here!
      Yes, when we stop to think how many generations these wonderful shows have influenced, it is indeed a blessing. May they continue to entertain and inspire for the good for generations to come!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  10. love this comparison. most of the times when we watch secular movies I sense an underlying pro life message., and I point it out to everyone and they are all surprised, because I do not think even the producers realize it is in their heart...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Annmarie!
      Wow! I'm glad someone besides me sees the secular movies and gleans the "message"; it has happened more times than I can remember. And, I'm with you - I don't think the producers see it . . .
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  11. Loved this..and what u said about toys not being happy until they are appreciated; misfit find it so difficult to be appreciated...., they are so misunderstood, so they make their own world with God! Those who have nobody are the ones who have God...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Jerly!
      Isn't it wonderful that misfits always have a place in God's heart. Truly, that's the place which matters most in life - His great love!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  12. As much as I love the song, I've never had a chance to watch this show, Martha. Now I'm going to try and get a copy of it somehow. This is such a wonderful post. Truly the story of Christmas - how Jesus transformed a bunch of misfits ( not in the least, me!) ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Corinne!
      I do hope you get the chance to see this sweet movie some day. :) And, yes! What joy there is in knowing Jesus transforms our hearts and loves us infinitely!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  13. I love the song though have never watched the show. Loved how you explained the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Rachna, and glad you enjoyed the message here! I do hope you will have the opportunity to watch the show in the future. It's such a great story!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  14. I have never forgotten this among the Christmas animations we've watched as kids. I love this actually. It wasn't such a simple story back then, I didn't know what a misfit meant...

    I guess I'm one of those too...

    Loved the parallelism you made of this and the Jesus story.

    I pray with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Melissa, and so glad to know you are a Rudolph fan! :) I, too, can remember watching it as a child and not knowing what a misfit was either. Guess we know now! I'll be a misfit for the Lord any day!
      Blessings, my dear!

      Delete
  15. awwwwwww -- can't believe i missed this before! and yet it's even more perfect now because of the surprise synchronicity! love you, dear martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this and enjoyed it, Linda. :) Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...