Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Party On???


Isaiah 43:2
When you pass through waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.

Granddaughter, Virginia Rose, and I arrive at my mother's house this past Thursday, and are met at the door not by Mom, but by her housekeeper, Rosa.  Much to our dismay, Rosa tells us that Mom is at the emergency room at the local hospital.  A dear friend has taken her for X-rays to find out if her almost-fall earlier in the week has left her with cracked ribs.

Sure enough, that's the diagnosis.  And to complicate matters, because Mom hasn't been able to draw deep breaths due to the pain, she has developed severe congestion in her lungs.  The doctor decides she needs to stay the night for observation, oxygen treatments and IV antibiotics.  The greatest fear?  Mom condition could spiral into pneumonia.  That can be deadly for anyone, but for someone about to be 90 years young?  Well, to say the least, our entire family is deeply concerned, and prayers for her healing is a constant.

Mom lets everyone, and I mean everyone, at the hospital know that she is turning 90 on Saturday, and is dead set on not missing the celebration.  Fortunately, she is released late Friday afternoon, but not without first agreeing to submit to home oxygen.  My brother, Bill, volunteers to pick her up since, because of MIL, I'm fairly well-versed in how the oxygen equipment works, and the right questions to ask the pleasant technician who sets us up.

Long story short, Mom is so grateful to be home, and overjoyed that she will be able to enjoy her milestone birthday with children, grandchildren and great-grands.  The party is on!!!






The birthday girl with granddaughter, Sarah


Brother Bill and my son, Daniel


Niece, Rebecca, and her friend, Mills


Daddy (John) with the littlest girls

 Bill has a new friend in Virginia


My beautiful daughter, Sarah


Virginia Rose


Savannah Jane


Alexandra Nancy with the untamed locks!


Sisterly love


Some lovely birthday gifts

But now comes the time for my brother and I to pass through the waters.  Bill offers to stay with Mom this week as I'm slated to babysit for Sarah on Tuesday.  On Thursday, it becomes my turn to stay with her for as long as is required.  In light of this, I've decided it's best for me to suspend Meditations of My Heart during the month of August.

My family would so appreciate your prayers for Mom at this time.  Also, if you could pray for Bill and me as we may have to make some difficult decisions in the days to come, that will give us much peace and comfort.

Although we are passing through some troubled waters, roaring rivers and raging fires, we know God is right there with us every step of the way.  His grace, mercy and unfailing love will see us through.

May God bless you all!

27 comments:

  1. Certainly sounds like a whirlwind visit my friend. I most definitely will pray for you and Bill. i was spared that decision and I'm grateful to God for that. I will miss you on line but certainly understand. TCB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers, Bill; they mean so much, especially at this time. I will miss you all on line, too, though I'm hoping the tweaking done by my niece and her boyfriend on Mom's computer will help me stay in touch better.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Praying for your mom and your whole family right now.

    Keep strong, Martha. Many need you right now. Many will look to you for guidance and advice.

    God bless you all and be with you in these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers, Victor - we all need them! Yes, I can rely on God's strength to strengthen me. He is my Rock and Redeemer.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha, I hear your heart ... this is a challenging season, but there are blessings in loving well. I'm praying for you and for sweet mama. One day at a time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers, Linda! Yes, it is one day at a time, one moment at a time. Believing strongly that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear friend, I totally understand the waters you are passing through right now with your dear Mom. My heart goes out to you, and I pray that God will guide you and give you peace and assurance that He is with you throughout this time of decision. May He lift you up and give you strength for each day and task. Love to you today dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind and comforting words here, Pamela. I know you understand exactly what we are all going through right now with your own MIL. God will get us through this time, of that I am certain.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. Oh, the expression on your mom's face in that first photo! So happy to be in her own home. She certainly doesn't look her age, does she?

    Lifting my prayers on her behalf … as well as all of you who love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Myra, she certainly looks a lot younger than 90, but she often asks me if she looks old. Well, honestly, yes, but definitely not as old as she actually is.
      Thanks so much, too, for all the prayer - they are so needed!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. Martha,
    First of all, I'm praying for your mom (and all who love her). Secondly, Happy Birthday! And lastly, thank you for sharing this beautiful celebration with us. Praise the Lord she was able to make it home to be with those she loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers, Beckie! It was such a fun and incredible day, and I will pass along your birthday wishes.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry about your mom, Martha. But also happy she got to celebrate her 90th. May God give her and all of you daily strength and may He also give you wisdom and guidance with difficult decisions. Blessings, love, and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trudy, and so happy to see you back here! Your prayers mean so much, too. I know God will get us through; He never fails, does He?
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. Of course, you, your mom, and your family will all be in my prayers during this difficult time. All in God's timing. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers, Terri! Joe and you will also be in mine.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  9. So glad your mom is getting out to be able to celebrate her 90th!

    I'm praying for you and Bill. May your time with your mom be especially blessed by our Father.

    Enjoy your time, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers and well wishes, Floyd! Yes, it was a great celebration, and one that will always be a treasured memory.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. Isaiah 43 is perhaps my favorite chapter in the whole Bible. And what a perfect inspiration for what you are going through right now. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites, too, Galen; it was also the scripture the kids focused on at VBS this summer.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  11. Martha, I'm just now reading this, sorry for the long delay. Just know that I'm continuing to pray.

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim! Your prayers are much appreciated.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  12. been praying for you. I have been gone so much in July and now into early August I am just now catching up with reading and commenting. Missed you. Your schedule is quite full right now. Know you are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a full schedule for both of us, Jean. The future is uncertain, but we will move forward in faith.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  13. Martha, I will surely pray for you and your husband and mother as you make difficult decisions. I often thought about how my mother worked three jobs to provide for us since my Dad drank all his earnings up. I leaned early to cook, watch my brothers, wash clothes, anything to help her. I even cleaned hotel rooms with her on Sunday. She was hard to take care of because she was so independent, always thinking she had to take care of us. You will rise to what ever you are called to do Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this about your mother, Betty. She sounds a lot like my Mom who wants to remain as independent as possible. We will see what God has in store.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  14. I love your posts and everything looks wonderful. I love your idea thanks for sharing.
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...