Monday, July 27, 2026

The Light of Life

 


When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." ~John 8:12

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. ~C. S. Lewis


My word for the year is Light.  Although I haven't written about it here in quite some time, it has been a constant in my daily life as I observe seasons transitioning from winter to spring and now summer.  Our home, nestled in the woods, tends to be darker than most during the day, so those glimpses of the sun's radiance are a coveted sight.

The top photos shows my work area for my Bible and devotional readings.  I've noticed, with great delight, that starting around 11:00 in the morning, the sun streams through the window on a clear day, providing such ample illumination that I don't have to turn on my overhead lamp.  Needless to say, that hour has become my favorite time for engaging with my Bible study.

And yes, as summer rolls on, the time of the sunshine's entrance will shift; I'll be following its progress faithfully.  Now if our Congress would decide to keep to Daylight Savings Time as I mention in my previous post, I can look forward to this reenactment next July, too.  No, I'm not holding my breath.

We enjoy a bright, sunny day just this past week, and I can't resist snapping some photos of the sunlight on the leaves.




Even on rainy days, the light that gets through the clouds shimmers and dances on the leaves in such a magical style.



As Christians, we know that Jesus walks with us each and every day.  He is truly the light of the world, the light of life, and in Him there is no darkness at all.  Even on a starless, moonless night, His light shines through us as our faith and trust in Him grows and flourishes.  Because God's Holy Spirit dwell within us, we can, and we will, experience what C. S. Lewis describes in the quote above.

We will see the world around us with the loving eyes of Jesus.

And that's the only way we can live freely and fully.

Amen!

76 comments:

  1. You live in such a beautiful place. I am all about light, as you know by the title of my blog. Do you live in the woods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure do, Ginny, and we love our surroundings so dearly. The trees certainly help us stay cooler in the summers that are so hot here in GA.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Very nicely said, I completely agree with you. without light there is no life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Stara.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain or shine, the trees are beautiful, thank you for the pictures and your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Marja. Thanks for stopping by!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. The definition of a life well lived -- you know the Son has risen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so thankful for sunlight that reminds us of the eternal light found in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Diana, for the eternal light of Jesus.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Seeing the world through the eyes of Jesus is really the only way worth looking at it. His light makes things brighter and gives a clear vision of what we need to see. May His Light be what always lights our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Bill! Yes, seeing the world through the eyes of Jesus is the only way to truly see it with love and forgiveness.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Jesus is the Light of the World. He said "We are the Light of the World". We do this by reflecting His light by the way we live.

    Great post, Martha. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Victor, and that's what Jesus wants us to do - reflect His light in this dark world.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Suas fotos, ficaram maravilhosas. Meu nome é João Luiz. Amado de Deus na Luz. Uma excelente tarde de terça-feira, obrigado pela visita e comentário, espero que esteja tudo bem com você e seus familiares na Geórgia, um abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus e carioca, Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling us what your name means: Beloved of God in the Light. How beautiful is that? Hugs to your family, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. I so love that C.S. Lewis quote!
    Your study niche looks perfect. Isn't it curious what hour speaks most clearly to our souls? Another of my blogger friends wrote yesterday, "Nine o'clock isn't just a number on a clock -- it's a feeling." I love that!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I love that quote from your friend that you included here, Myra! Sometimes, it is a feeling rather than a time on the clock. And that quote from C. S. Lewis has always been a favorite of mine.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Love that quiet time spot you've created for yourself, Martha! I too have studied the leaves as early morning sunlight makes them glow with golden light. They appear lit from within--a beautiful metaphor for the Light of Christ that dwells within us (@ Corinthians 4:6).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lit from within is the perfect description for that morning sunlight on the leaves, Nancy! And yes, it does serve as a metaphor for how we become receptors and reflections of the light of Jesus.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  12. How wonderful that the light comes in that special place for you to enjoy your devotions! I love trees and their beauty but do love the light too! So thankful for Jesus the Light in our lives always!! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so full of gratitude for the light of Jesus, too, Marilyn. Where would be without Him shining His truth into our lives? I'm glad you like my study area, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  13. Thank you, Martha, what a beautiful exposition you've given us of the blessing an power of your word for the year. It reminded me of a brief reflection I had recently as Diane and I roamed around the garden department at Lowe's. Looking at the incredible array of flowers, it occured to me that God didn't have to do that. And then I remembered some occasions during our time in Alaska when my travels took me to some very remote places. I looked at scenes that were absolutely breathtaking and thought how very few people were ever actually there to behold them, yet God put them there anyway, because beaurty is part of who He is.

    And forgive me for rambling, but one other thing came to mind. That is that darkness doesn't erase beauty. A lilly is just as gorgeous in the dark as it is in the light. It's just that no one can see it. The world around those lost in the blackness of human depravity is as beautiful as ours, but they can't see it because their minds, and spiritual eyes, have been blinded by a separation from His Light. The sobering truth is that Jesus said that we, oridinary people like you and me, are the light of the world. It's our job, and our privilege, to take His Light into their dark world and pray that He will give them eyes to see the beauty He unveils through us.

    Sorry for rambling, but--you just sort of got me going today--Thank you for the inspiring post, dear friend, and for the light you and Danny project every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the point you made here, Ron, that God didn't have to create such wonders on His precious planet Earth, but He chose to do so all for the sake of beauty. Oh, that all of us would have eyes to see, observe and celebrate His incomparable gifts! People, sadly, choose to wrap themselves in darkness instead of seeking the light of the Lord. Jesus is there for all, full of forgiveness, grace and the light that will never be extinguished.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  14. another beautiful post Martha...filled with inspiration and guidance that we too need to let our light shine in this world. Great photos of the light for which we are blessed to have in our lives..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words here, Shug, and I'm glad you liked the photos. May we all let the light of Jesus shine through us each and every day.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  15. Such a "light-filled" post, Martha! I love this so much, and the photos of your reading area is so comforting and peaceful. I also love the photos of the sunlight on the leaves in the trees around your home. YOu have a lovely location, and I know you enjoy the peacefulness of it year round. We are blessed to have the light of Christ shining through us and on us every day, even when it is dark and gloomy outside. When we walk with Christ, it is never too dark or dreary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Pamela! When we walk with the Lord Jesus, He will never fail to brighten even the darkest and dreariest of days. Yes, my study area definitely lends me a sense of peace, quiet and comfort. I believe we all need these special, light-filled places in our lives where we can retreat on a daily basis.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  16. Martha, I had that quote by C.S. Lewis on my blog for a long time.
    You are in a lovely location - with just the right amount of light.
    If there were no light, how would we see all the wonderful things the Lord has given us?
    \We have to look for the beauty He has given us. Sometimes it is the dark.
    Sandie/Chatty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to that quote by C. S. Lewis, Sandie, it's one of my favorites, too. I think it's wonderful that you had that posted on your blog for many years. And without light, how could we ever appreciate all the wonderful works of our Lord that are everywhere around us? May we all shine Jesus' light to all who still live in darkness.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  17. thecontemplativecat here. We were lucky to see a stageplay with Max MacLean as C.S. Lewis. It was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, Susan, I would have loved to see a play about C. S. Lewis! He's always been such an influential figure in my life ever since I read the Narnia books as a child.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  18. Something I read the other day seems so apropos here Ms. Martha Jane. "As this world gets darker, His light will shine brighter." I am convinced this is true when I read posts like this from great Christian friends like you and Mr. Danny. God's blessings, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to see you back here, J. D.! And I love the quote you shared - it is absolutely true as nothing can dim the light of Jesus. May we all keep reflecting His light faithfully.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  19. Your reflections on light are so uplifting, Martha.
    I love how you connect the daily rhythm of sunshine with the eternal Light of Christ.
    Truly, His presence brightens every season of our lives. Amen! 🌞🙏
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His presence certainly does brighten every day and every season of our lives, Veronica. I'm so glad that this post was uplifting for you today.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  20. Oh, that C.S. Lewis quote gets me every single time. It is such a profound way to put it, not just looking at the light, but seeing everything else by it.

    Living in a home tucked away in the woods has its perks with all that gorgeous greenery, but it really can feel like a bit of a cave on overcast days, can't it? Finding that exact sweet spot where the sun streams right through the window at 11:00 AM must make your reading time feel like such a peaceful little sanctuary.

    Those pictures of the light hitting the leaves are stunning, too. There really is something magical about how even rainy-day light catches and shimmers on wet foliage. Amen on the Daylight Savings front, if only we could just leave the clocks alone so those wonderful patches of daytime alignment could stick around a little longer! Such a comforting, beautiful reflection to read today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quote from C. S. Lewis is one of my all-time favorites, too, Melody. It says it all, doesn't it? And yes, living in the woods, especially on a cloudy day, can feel a bit gloomy, yet there is charm found even in those overcast days such as the one we're experiencing here today. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the photos and noticed how the light, even through the rain, plays ever so enchantingly on the leaves. I do hope we can stick with the Daylight Savings Time.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  21. When the light shines. the beauty of life shines too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Sim o trabalho dele, é incrível. Uma excelente tarde de quarta-feira, para a irmã e seus familiares na Geórgia e um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All God's works are amazing, Joao Luiz, I agree. Sending hugs back at you.
      Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Passando para desejar, uma excelente mês de agosto, para a irmã, e todos os seus familiares na Geórgia. Grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz.

      Delete
    3. Happy August to you and yours, Joao Luiz!

      Delete
  23. You live in Eden, Martha! This is my dream house, surrounded by trees. No wonder you are such a fine writer, you are encompassed by nature - by tall trees and birdsong and all manner of wildlife. I always wanted a secluded place where I could write in peace. But alas, I've spent the past 50 years in the heart of the city, but I made it work anyway. I guess we all live where God has planted us.
    Love and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like living in Eden, Debra, and I'm so extremely grateful for the natural beauty that greets me each and every day. Amazing, too, that once we leave our neighborhood, we are right back into civilization. Maybe one day, you'll have that idyllic place of seclusion so that you can write to your heart's content. Your write so wonderfully now, I can only imagine!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  24. What beautiful photos, Martha, and a lovely description about how light dances around your house in the woods. When we camp, our favorite sites are nestled in a few trees to provide shade, but also provide a little light. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching your camping videos, Karen, and I have taken note of how Mike and you laud the shade where you are camping in your van, but that you always celebrate the light, too. Thank you for your lives that testify to God's goodness and mercy that you share through Friday's Forever on YouTube. I hope all my readers will check it out!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  25. We used to have a big old maple tree next to the house. It provided dense shade in the heat of the summer. Alas a few years ago it dropped a huge limb right over our dinning room. By some miracle it swung out past the edge of the roof and knocked the rain gutter off. We had other close calls from dropped limbs but that one was the last straw. We had it cut down. It was easily over 4 feet in diameter.
    Jill and I love the forest and understand your love of your location. Beautiful photos.

    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We absolutely hate having to take trees down, and Danny will always have tree trimmers come to take off dead limbs before taking the entire tree. However, Jim, it sounds like this maple's time had come and you didn't have another choice in the matter. We've faced the same dilemma here and it's never a happy choice. So glad you enjoyed this post, my friend.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  26. Thank you so much for sharing! I love that quote by C.S. Lewis and your photos are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite quotes, too, Alex. I's so glad to know that you enjoyed the photos, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  27. I love the beauty of the sun dancing on leaves, Martha. Thank you for refreshing my heart with these photos and reminding me of the Light of our lives! Love and blessings of Jesus warming your heart and life with His tender love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing what amazing photos your brother takes, Trudy, I'm certainly humbled by your sweet comment here about mine. Yes, sunlight dancing on the leaves in an incomparable sight, one for which I'm ever grateful to the Lord for His wonderful creation.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  28. Your desk is so neat compared to mine. Mine is so disorganized. I'm grateful for the light of Jesus. If only more people would receive Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's pray for those who don't know Jesus' light that they come to know Him as their Savior, Regina. Thanks for stopping by!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  29. inspiring post! I too have been pondering light in all its forms especially with the word delight. God's light in our delight. good image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's light in our delight . . . I absolutely love that statement, Jean! We certainly are undeserving of God's forgiveness and love, but I'm so grateful for His light that invites us to follow Him.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  30. Olá, Martha
    Postagem muito edificante. Jesus é a Luz do mundo que brilha sempre em nossos corações. Conviver com a natureza é bênção. Um forte abraço!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, living in harmony with nature, God's beautiful creation, is always a blessing. I'm so grateful that Jesus is the Light of the World for all who turn to Him with faith, trust and humility.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  31. Your home in the woods looks so beautiful! God bless you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the place I love and cherish, Cheryl.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  32. I love the photos of your light coming in, Martha. Just last night I was already bemoaning how the days are shorter now than they were a month ago. I know it's how the earth turns, but still. ha. I'm curious too if permanent daylight saving time will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great if it did, Lisa? I was actually observing just today how much the light has shifted (your word) in just the last two weeks. I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  33. Ephesians 5:8: "walk as children of light".
    We can easily understand the Lord Jesus saying, "I am the light of the world", John 8:12, but He also says, "Ye are the light of the world" Matt 5: 14, which is a big test for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a huge test for us, David, I wholeheartedly agree. I love that verse from Ephesians that you included here, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  34. I would like to walk under leaves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Espero que você goste, da postagem do. Mirante do Pedrão. Uma excelente tarde de segunda-feira, para você e todos os seus familiares na Geórgia, um grande abraço do seu irmão carioca Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do enjoy your posts about Brazilian art and history, Joao Luiz. Such a rich and vibrant culture!
      Blessings!

      Delete

Missing My Friends!

  Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor.  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But p...