Monday, August 3, 2026

Watching and Listening

 


Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. ~Psalm 139:7-8


Danny and I enthusiastically anticipate our Face Time conversations with daughter, Sarah, and the grandchildren, especially our oldest, Virginia.  Consumed by work as of late, Sarah hasn't had the opportunity for any lengthy chats in the last two weeks, so we are delighted to finally connect with here this past Saturday.

We catch up on each other's news, always more on their end than ours and are especially anxious to hear about Virginia's recent trip to the Great Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg to be specific, with her friend whose family has invited her to join them on their vacation.  Danny and I have taken Virginia to the mountains with us on two different occasions where we stayed gorgeous cabins.  The first trip is in 2019,



And the second, in 2022.



Virginia is bubbling over with all the details of her recent mountain adventures.  She describes here first foray into the icy waters of Little Pigeon River via innertube, even the time or two that the rapids practically upend her.  Although they do stay in a cabin-like motel in town, she does get to visit a sprawling luxury cabin owned by a relative of the family where, she says, she had vast and breathtaking views of the mountains all around them.  What a thrill!

Since her birthday (sweet 16!) falls during the week Virginia is there, her friend and her mother even take her shopping in Gatlinburg and gift her with a beautiful, and what Sarah describes as probably expensive, bracelet.  How thoughtful of them!

But the highlight of her adventure is when they go to one of Gatlinburg's finest restaurants, The Peddler, for dinner.  I instantly recognize the name as I've heard my friends, Karen and Mike Friday at Friday's Forever on YouTube, talking about what a high-end place it is, one best suited for special occasions when it's okay to splurge.  While we're using Danny's phone for this Face Time call, he checks his computer to see the Peddler's menu.

Holy guacamole!  Those prices!!!  And Virginia tells us there were six people at dinner that evening.  Six!!!  It takes me a moment to pick my jaw up off the floor.

The long and short of it is, Virginia will never forget how special her 16th birthday was.  After chatting for over an hour, we end the call with our prolific good-byes and love-yous before shutting down the screen.  I find myself wishing, not for the first nor last time, that they lived closer to us.

After a while, I decide to check my email on my phone to see if anything important has landed in my inbox during the interim.  I can't believe what I see!  Front and center, as plain as day, is an ad for The Peddler!  What???  We use Danny's phone for the Face Time, his computer to research the restaurant, yet the ad comes to my phone!

No matter what we do, intentionally or not, our devices are always listening to us and tracking our every move.  It's intrusive, unsettling and yes, downright scary.  Big Brother is no longer confined to Orwell's 1984.  He's here, he's now and he's watching.  Sadly, it's the price we have to pay if we wish to stay in touch with family and friends over the miles.

But here is the good news - Our Father has looked over us and out for us time out of mind.  There isn't anywhere we can roam that He doesn't see us, hear us, care for us, and love us beyond measure.  We are bound to Him through Jesus and the Spirit with everlasting ties that nothing in heaven or on earth can ever unravel.

I'll take that kind of watching and listening any day of the week!

Amen!


Don't forget to visit The Christian Lounge and see what's new!

60 comments:

  1. The Peddller ad IS unsettling!! What an amazing place they chose to eat at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, it was, Ginny. Do you know that I've received another email from them since that first one? Yes, it is an amazing place to dine.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Virginia and many blessings to you.

    It's good to spend time with the family; even if it is online because of the distance between you. I'm so glad for you and yours Martha; and hopefully you'll have real time together soon during the holidays when they visit you.

    I like the ending of your wonderful and happy post regarding what you say about God's caring and love for us.

    Thank you for mentioning The Christian Lounge.

    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Victor, about my mentioning The Christian Lounge. That's the least I can do! I'm so glad you liked the ending here; God is the only One that I want to see and hear all that's on my mind and heart.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. 16? Seriously? i can play the "I remember when" game with you on that. WOW! I'm glad she has made a good memory. And you tied it in well with the ever-present media intrusion but the always-welcome inclusion of the trusted ONE. Now...head of to the Peddler's (but take your mortgage with you). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Bill! I can hardly believe it myself that Virginia is 16. They grow up way too quickly, don't they? I'm so glad you liked the message in this post - God is the only One who should have the right to know all about us from stem to stern. And those prices at The Peddler? You said it all!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. What a joy to read about Virginia’s special birthday adventure!
    Sixteen is such a milestone, and it sounds like she was showered with love and unforgettable experiences.
    I love how you tied it all back to God’s constant presence. His “watching and listening” is the kind that brings peace, not fear.
    Amen to that!
    Blessings, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Veronica! God's watching and listening brings peace, not fear. He only wants what is best for us and knows us inside and out. We, too, are overjoyed that Virginia celebrated her milestone birthday in such an unforgettable way. She's always loved the mountains.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. What sweet memories your little Miss Virginia made for her "sweet 16". I still find it hard to believe she's grown up so fast. More importantly, I can see how much her grandparents have poured into her.

    Technology, as wonderful as it can be, can also be most detrimental. It's all a matter of who is controlling it. Moral people will be morally responsible. Those who have little or no Judeo-Christian values and a biblical worldview can use that same technology for evil. It costs us either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that Virginia has reached that milestone, either! And you are so right about the morals and character of those behind the technological "spying." Evil people will do evil things no matter who they hurt along the way. We do need people with strong Judeo-Christian values at the helm of all these new, potentially dangerous, technologies. I love that the Lord sees and hears always, but that other people think it's okay to invade my privacy is despicable.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. We've all been there - mention something in discussion, and the next thing you know, you're getting Facebook ads. My wife talked at dinner about needing a new mattress, and the next time I glanced at Facebook, there it was -- an ad for mattresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a creepy feeling to know we're being spied on, Glynn. The same has happened multiple times to us, just as it did for Janet and you. Downright spooky!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. What a special birthday! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a special birthday for Virginia, Diana.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful trip for her! Yes, The Peddler looks very good, but wow, the prices. Good for a special event like a 16th birthday.
    I love your comparison of Big Brother watching, and our heavenly Father watching. Yes, I'll take that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia certainly had a marvelous birthday, Mari, as the mountains are her favorite place to be. Yes, those prices - Yikes! Glad you liked the comparison made here, too.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. Gee, all I got on my 16th birthday was a birthday cake and some cash! Sounds like a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even recall what I got on my 16th birthday, Debby, but I'm sure Virginia will remember hers for a lifetime.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. 16 already??? Where does the time go? and what a delightful way to celebrate. You are blessed my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know I am, Jean. And I can't wrap my head around the fact that Virginia is 16 - it seems like just yesterday when she was born. All the grands are growing up so quickly.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like Virginia had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly did, Christine. She couldn't stop telling us about it!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  12. Oh, it sounds like Virginia has had a dream vacation and birthday celebration! How wonderful that her friend's family invited her to go with them and treated her like royalty for her birthday! And I'm so happy you got to visit with her via facetime and could literally see and hear all about her exciting time. And yes, this intrusion into our private lives via the cyberworld is unsettling. Sometimes it seems like I don't even have to speak the name of something I've thought about, and and suddenly there are ads on my Facebook page for the very thing I was just thinking about. It's scary for sure. But yes, Our God is an awesome God, and He is watching over us day and night and protects us from things that we cannot even see or know about. I am so very thankful to belong to Him. Great post!! Happy sweet 16 to Virginia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia had the time of her life, Pamela! We're so happy that she's made such a good friend at her school who likes her enough to invite her on a family vacation. It's extremely disturbing when we simply think about something and all of a sudden we see it advertised on the sites we frequent. How do they do that??? Anyway, we know as God's children that He is the One in charge of everything and we can definitely take comfort in that.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  13. Holy guacamole indeed!! Whew on those prices! I had to peek at them! And 1984 has happened, for sure. Your brilliant analogy of Jesus watching over us is comforting, though!! It took a minute for me to wrap my mind around Virginia being 16!! Time does go much too fast. Sending a hug!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I included that link, Terri. It is a sticker shock moment to say the least. I'm so glad that you liked the analogy about Jesus always watching and listening to us with His love and care. Big Brother needs to take a hike! I can't believe she's 16 either and is actually driving. Whoa!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  14. Olá, Martha
    Parabéns pelo aniversário da Virginia! Que Deus abençoe sempre a vida dela. Que maravilha comemorar com pessoas especiais nas montanhas, um lugar que ela gosta tanto. O Senhor cuida de nós em cada detalhe. Um forte abraço!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God does so beautifully take care of the details in our lives, Lucinalva, and for that, I'm eternally grateful that we can trust in and depend upon Him. It was such a special birthday for Virginia, one she will always remember.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed two mental excursions at the same time as I read your post, Martha. I not only got to tag along on Virginia's mountain adventure, but I got to revisit my first trip to the mountains with my grandparents. We went to Cherokee, NC and I got to have several "first time" experiences. It was my first view of the mountains, which to my pre-teen eyes was beyond incredible. Then I was privileged to actually stay in a motel. I had seen the outside of them, of course, but never actually stayed in one. It felt really strange and unusual, but in an exciting way. We also ran across a black bear wandering around near a picnic area (we decided not to eat there, by the way). But one of the most thrilling things for me was my very first ever contact with an actual swimming pool. It was a tiny pool by today's standards, but for country boys like my cousin and me who almost never got to swim, it was like going to heaven. The bad news was that I got an ear infection from it that ruined the rest of the trip and lasted for weeks.

    Anyhow, I loved taking another family trip with you and rejoiced over the wonderful thought that our ever vigilant Father knows everything we do and loves us anyway. Diane and I don't generally celebrate with meals that cost more than our groceries for a month, but we're glad your Virginia got a taste of the upper crust life. God bless you and your wonderful family. Our country is in desperate need of people and families like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, I am so humbled by what you have shared here today. When I was young, my parents struggled, and this sort of vacation would be so far out of reach that we wouldn't even imagine it. Our summers were spent, as well as the money saved during the year, for our annual summer pilgrimage to Massachusetts where grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were ripe for the reuniting. I can only imagine the thrill that your cousin and you experienced by swimming in an actual pool for the first time. This is such a poignant reminder of how many things we take for granted in this current day and age. May we simply give thanks to the Lord of all creation for every opportunity He gives us. I am so very happy for the wonderful time Virginia had in her beloved mountains.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  16. What a fabulous experience for your sweet Birthday Girl! I imagine that trip will stay with her, all her days.
    I smiled at the restaurant "popping up" on your cell phone. Our new normal, I suppose. Yet, I smiled deeper from my heart, realizing Our Father's watching over us far surpasses any technological wizardry. Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful way to phrase this, Myra! "Our Father's watching over us far surpasses any technological wizardry." You have hit the nail on the head, my friend. Virginia will treasure this mountain visit all the days of her life.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  17. This sounds like a wonderful time was had, yeah the cost of eating at some places is bloody high

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Jo-Anne, those prices are off the chain! I'm so very glad that our oldest granddaughter had the opportunity to experience this once-in-a-lifetime adventure, though.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  18. Happy Late Birthday wishes to Virginia.. She is such a pretty girl and she looks like she enjoys the outdoors. Gatlinburg is one of my favorite places to visit.... Isn't it so strange how when you discuss something be it a restaurant or hotel, that ads start popping up. I would love to know what is behind all of this. Enjoy this bid sunshiny day Martha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shug, I'll make sure she knows all about the birthday greetings from my blogger friends! Virginia is a special young lady and we miss being around all our grand-girls so much. I don't like the intrusiveness of the internet, though. It happens much more often than one would hope.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  19. We must have been friends for a good while, because I remember well when Virginia was little. Where does the time go?! Sending birthday blessings her way - as though she hasn't already been amazingly blessed by the mountain bliss and The Peddler! Wow!

    It is a consolation to know that God is present with us wherever we are. Not so much with BIG BROTHER - I shudder to think how intrusive the beast is these days. Lord have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord have mercy, indeed, Debra! You've hit the nail on the head when you call this an intrusive beast, so we have to pray more mightily against this influence that the Lord will not allow us to succumb to these temptations. Where does the time go? Way too fast and too fleeting!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  20. We too had one of those "Big Brother" moments recently. No sooner had my husband and I discussed treating our cutting boards than an ad for cutting boards turned up on my computer, the next time I booted up. Unsettling indeed! Thank you for your reminder that our Heavenly Father--the all-powerful One of the universe--is lovingly watching over us and listening to every cry. Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that this phenomenon is happening with unwanted frequency to all of us, Nancy. I truly resent it as I know your husband and you must, too. Where are our rights to privacy? What has happened to our freedom of thought? But you and I both know that God is in ultimate control and He is the only One who can set things to rights when we trust and believe in Him.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  21. A very special birthday which Virginia will always remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly will, Bill! She has always loved the outdoors and has been drawn to the mountains from the first mention that we would take her there with us years ago.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  22. A few years ago I got to spend several nights in one of those beautiful mountain cabins outside of Gatlinburg. Aside from the SCARY NARROW WINDING ROADS to get to the cabin, it was absolutely delightful. My son and family took me with them on this trip. It was just a few months after my husband had died. We nearly "met our Maker" on one of those hairpin turns. Everybody screamed. I later quipped, "We almost met Grandad today!" Sort of a bittersweet memory made that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Barbara, that's a scary moment, indeed!!! Those roads can certainly be twisty and turny when we least expect it. Virginia told us that her friend's mother let her son navigate those bends in the roads as she did not feel comfortable doing them herself. What? I think God was looking out for all of them! The cabins where we used to stay are nothing but amazing.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  23. Boa noite minha querida irmã Martha. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Esse texto de Salmo 139:7-8 é muito lindo. Uma excelente noite de quarta-feira, para a irmã e seus familiares na Geórgia, um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus Evangelista João Luiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you always, Brother Joao Luiz. Sending love and hugs.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  24. What an interesting story here. Sadly, it is true. I don't know how they even do what they do that fast.
    You know what though, if you make sure you go through life and live it pretty cleanly - knowing God is living and walking with you - you should be okay personally. Now, they can hurt your financially - another story.
    Virginia looks like a beautiful 16-year-old. Happy birthday. I know you love her so and wish you could see her more. I understand. I love Gatlinburg too.
    Thank God he watches over us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of us in the Baby Boomer generation are particularly challenged by all the con artists and scammers out there, Sandie, that it can feel like we're defeated before we even start. Before Danny really got afflicted by his need to stay close to home and his doctors, we chronicled many fantastic adventures to the Smokies, with our favorites being with Virginia. She loves the outdoors and we pray she always will rejoice in God's marvelous creation.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  25. Hey Martha, sorry I'm so late to the party. :-) We were in Nashville earlier this week. Thanks so much for sharing our Friday's Forever channel with your readers. I'm so thankful Virginia had a wonderful vacation with her friend and family. And oh boy, what a treat to go The Peddler for her sweet sixteen birthday! The photos of recent trips with her to the Smokies are priceless, but she has grown up! Where does time go. I'm grateful our heavenly Father listens to us and we don't have to worry about "ads" listening or knowing our desires or wishes. Because our Lord is ever present and knows best what we need in our lives. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just know you are never late to the party here, Karen. I more than understand! Your lives are so busy as is attested by your many splendid videos on Friday's Forever. I'm honored to have been able to share the link here. Yes, Virginia had an unforgettable 16th birthday and I can't believe she is growing up so fast. Ironically, too, right before I went to check my blog, I saw yet another ad for The Peddler in my email. Can you believe it? Anyway, I'm so grateful that we have a true Father in heaven that listens and answers our prayers.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  26. Memories are make at time like this. Family time together is always special. Virginia is very fortunate to be able to have this kind of experience so young in life.

    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she is, Jim, and she knows it, too. I can't think of a better birthday celebration for her.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  27. Boa tarde minha querida irmã Martha. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Ontem, pela misericórdia de Deus, fez cinco anos que eu fui , consagrado a Evangelista. Uma grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz. Que o Senhor Jesus abençoe todos os seus familiares na Geórgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful anniversary to celebrate Joao Luiz!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  28. Facetime is the BEST Fun! I'm addicted to it now! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, though? It truly is the next best thing to being there in person, Diane.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  29. Family Memories and times like this are to be cherished. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Martha, what precious photos and lovely moments depicting a very special birthday. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Missing My Friends!

  Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor.  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But p...