Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Baby, You Can Drive my Car . . ."

Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them."

My stepson, Giovanni, is a great driver.  Always cautious.  Always careful.

Obeying the traffic laws to a "T".

So, when we have to go to the bank for a fund transfer between our accounts, I, naturally, let him drive.

Giovanni is so proud to finally have a car of his own since his dad recently purchases a new one and gives him the mint-condition Scion.  And, it's a relief for me not to have to juggle appointments or errands based on his work schedule.

We hop in, fasten our seat belts, and we're ready to roll!

Giovanni backs up our steep driveway a bit to fast for my liking.  But, nonetheless, pulls it off without a hitch.

Although he doesn't speed in our quiet neighborhood, he takes the first turn rather tight and hard.  Hmm.  this isn't the way he used to drive . . . when we were teaching him.

We cruise down a long hill at the bottom of which is a three-way stop.

Giovanni whips around the corner.  Completely blows off the sign!

"You realize you just ran that stop sign, don't you?"  I ask, stating the obvious.

"Yes, but there aren't any cops around."

"How do you know?  They patrol this neighborhood all the time.  What if one was just coming down the street and saw what you did?"

"I could see there weren't any."

"Giovanni, that's not the point," I tell him.  I'm sure he notes the exasperation in my voice.  "When you come to a stop sign, you do what it says whether anyone is around or not.  You don't do the right thing because you'll get caught otherwise.  You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do."
~
Jesus came not to abolish the law, but to fulfill it.

Turning "shalt not" into "you shall".

Writing the law on our hearts.

Assuring us that, in obeying Him, we will always choose to do the right thing.
~
Do you choose to do the right thing even when no one is looking?

Will you join me in prayer?
We give thanks today, Father, for the fulfillment of Your laws through Your Son, our Savior, Christ Jesus.  We know that if He lives in us and we follow Him, we will be lead to do the right thing for its own sake.  Help us to submit in perfect obedience to Him.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 119:49-72 or 42 (53)
Exodus 33:1-23
1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Matthew 5:17-20  

14 comments:

  1. It's so easy to cut corners when no one is watching - that's when our integrity is most tested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Corinne, and thanks so much for stopping by!
      Yes - doing what is right when no one is around to see or judge shows our true character.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. That's a great question that we all should reflect on. I try to tell my children that God is always watching even when others aren't.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Jessica!
      That's a great thing to tell your children as it is oh, so true. This will go far to instill doing the right thing in them. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Is that another Beatles song? I'll let you drive as long as you do it safely :)

    Most of the time, we live as if we have no responsibility over others when in fact, when we drive, we're carrying the lives of the people who are with us. It's not that nobody sees us... but there's such a thrill that one feels when he could do something beyond his imagination and not get caught. It's scary that it could happen in broad daylight... and it could lead to greater crimes.

    I was asking the kids the other week, what if we put God in our minds and in our hearts, then would we just be totally occupied with loving Him and others and nothing else?

    I reflect on your post and the question resonates...where do I put God in my life? Is He outside of me?

    I pray with you Martha...do help us Oh God in pursuing not our will but yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Melissa, it IS a Beatles song. :)
      And, I love your resonating question: "Where do I put God in my life? Is He outside of me?" Or, is He living within and guiding us in His will?
      We need to remember that He sees all and knows all; we there is nowhere we could go that He isn't. That's a comfort!
      Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Martha...I was lamenting last night LOL... but even so I did manage to reflect on this.

      Thanks for your prayers.

      Delete
    3. Hope all is okay, my dear.
      Continued prayers for you! :)

      Delete
  4. My Husband never respects the codes when driving, pretending that no one can stop him since he is an army guy. I try to explain that the law applies to anyone, and its a very bad example to give to the children not to respect the law.
    I think one must always do what is right, whether someone is watching or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Nikky!
      Sorry to hear that about your husband; yes, I think a lot of men have that mentality - especially, when it comes to speeding. The expressways around here are like a madhouse!
      And, yes, we should do what is right just because it is the right thing to do. :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I try my best to do the right thing when no one is looking but I must admit that there are times I don't. I'm not perfect. But God knows that I am trying and when I am reconciled, what peace there is in that, I try my best again.

    Thanks for the post and the reminder to do the right thing even when no one is looking.

    Best regards,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary!
      I'm far from perfect, too, my friend. Today, I picked up the wrong item at Costco; when I finally located the right one, I got it, but didn't return the original item to its place. :( I hardly ever do that, but was in a rush - that's no excuse! I resolved not to ever do it again.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Martha I really enjoy your devotions. You have a wonderful way of explaining things by using real life examples. A great questions and I believe we should always act with integrity and conscience no matter who is watching. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Nelieta, and for the sweet compliment.
      I let Giovanni know his actions had inspired this blog. Lol! It absolutely fit the scripture.
      Doing the right thing is always the right thing to do!
      Blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...