Thursday, May 17, 2012

"The Little Lord Jesus, no Crying He Makes . . ."

Hebrews 2:17
For this reason he had to be make like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.


Can you picture the nativity scene?  Not the pristine, angelic one displayed on Christmas cards.  The real one . . .

The human one . . .

Pastor Wallace tells us about a Christmas Eve sermon he preaches in one of his former churches.  His hope is the congregation will see the God of the whole universe as coming into the world fully human.

Messy birth.  Exhausted Mary.  Frantic Joseph.  Wailing Jesus.

No silent night here!

Hungry baby.  Helpless baby.  Dirty diapers and all.

Little.  Baby.  Jesus.

Crying, He makes.

When the members are filing out after the service, Wallace greets each one at the door.  He notes, with some concern, the scowling face of an elderly lady who is coming down the aisle.  She is glaring at him.  He's grateful her eyes aren't daggers!

"Pastor Wallace," she says coldly when she reaches him, refusing to shake his hand, "how dare you talk about Jesus that way!"

"In what way, Miss Jean?"

"You know, the way you did just now.  Like He isn't perfect.  That he cried and soiled himself like ordinary babies.  Shame on you!"

"But, Miss Jean, don't you believe that Jesus became fully human so he could understand us and love us even more?"

"Human, yes, but He's still divine.  And, no amount of your preaching will ever convince me He had dirty diapers!"

I think Mary would disagree with Miss Jean . . .
 ~
When was the last time you held, or fed, or changed an infant?

Will you pray with me?
Thank you, Father, for sending Your precious Son, Jesus, into this world, fully human and fully divine.  Through Him, our High Priest, we are reconciled to You, once and for all, and all our sins are washed away.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 8, 47 or 24, 96
Daniel 7:9-14
Hebrews 2:5-18
Matthew 28:16-20 

19 comments:

  1. The movie depiction of the birth of Jesus I like the best is the one from "Nativity" - with a frantic Joseph running from door to door in Bethlehem, trying to find a place for Mary, and then helping her deliver the baby. Good post, Martha - and your pastor is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Glynn!
      I don't know how I've missed the movie, "Nativity". Will definitely have to look this one up!
      Yes, Pastor Wallace is right on! :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. thank you Martha for sharing your story! I am open to believing with faith all things are possible...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy, and thanks for coming by!
      Yes! With God, everything is possible!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. I think what I most love about Jesus is that He shared our humanity and I'm always saddened when people choose to forget that.
    Recalling Don Moen's 'God with Us'. I'm sure you've heard that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by today, Corinne!
      Yes, that, too, is what I love - that God was willing to humble Himself just so He could understand how to love us better. Wow!
      I've not heard of Don Moen. I will look this up.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post....answering your question, though I have not in a long time but I know for sure that feeling is truly magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Privy!
      The last time I held a tiny one was when my granddaughter was born. She's almost two now. Time sure flies!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for coming by and for the compliment, Janaki!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful and wonderful Christ is! I imagine Jesus so vulnerable, waiting for Mama Mary to feed Him, clothe Him, bathe Him, love Him and take care of Him.

    The world revolves around a baby. I wish I could have one someday. When I take care of kids, I also think of Jesus and how He grew up to be. Is He naughty? gentle? affectionate?

    I keep on wishing to have my own,or perhaps Jesus has another road so I could take care of more instead of just one. His will over mine:)

    I pray with you...I love You baby Jesus :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our Lord is beautiful and wonderful even when a tiny, helpless baby, vulnerable like all of us.
      Melissa, you are so right to submit to God's will for you. He who has begun a good work in you will be faithful to complete it, no matter what that work might be.
      Thank you, dear friend, for stopping by and praying with me today.
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  7. I can just picture Miss Jean. I wonder if she ever understood the point that the preacher was trying to make. It was so difficult for others to believe Him in human form, imagine what it would have been like if He had been any different. He had to be as any other baby...and yes, I'm sure He had dirty diapers and cried as well. Sorry, Miss Jean...that doesn't make him imperfect, just human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Mary!
      I love what you have said here to Miss Jean - it "doesn't make him imperfect, just human". And, it is because He became fully human that He can fully understand and empathize with us. What a gift this is! I can't imagine life without dear Jesus.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. Well, no one likes their image of Jesus changed, but I agree here. He had to be fully human. Crying is normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rachel, fully human yet divine. What a mystery and what a blessing!
      Thanks so much for stopping in today. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  9. A very beautiful Post Martha!
    It's the fact that He was fully human that makes him fully Divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Nikky!
      So glad you enjoyed this post.
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  10. Martha, what a beautiful post this is. I think babies are a miracle as Jesus was. Because he was human he could forgive and understand our crosses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Rimly!
      Babies are miracles in and of themselves - I agree.
      So glad you enjoyed the post.
      Blessings always!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...