Sunday, May 6, 2012

"Catch a Wave and You're Sittin' on Top of the World . . ."

Psalm 29:3
The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders, 
the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.


When my parents take us on vacation to see family in Massachusetts, one of my absolute favorite places to visit is Horseneck Beach.  Living where we do in Georgia, it's a good seven hour drive to the coast.  Needless to say, a trip to the ocean is a coveted treat!

As soon as Dad parks the car, we cousins tumble out the doors in a flash.  Toting towels and buckets and shovels, we begin the long trek over the pearl-white sand dunes to reach our destination.  The sand, hot from the sun, but soft as silk, spills over the tops of our tennis shoes.

I can hear the faint roar of the crashing waves in the distance.  Growing louder and more distinct with every step we take.

Until . . .

We pop over the rise of the last mountainous dune.

And, there it is.  The seemingly endless miles of beach.  The large, rolling, thunderous waves merciless pummeling her shore.

High tide!

Perfect for body surfing!

We don't waste another moment.  Dumping our towels and toys willy-nilly on the beach, we race for the water.

Oh!  But, it's so cold!

We squeal and shout and laugh as we move farther into the beckoning waters.  Soaked by the relentless waves, our bodies quickly adjust to the temperature.  Cool and comfortable now in contrast with the hot and dazzling summer sun.

Dad is our lookout.

"Here comes a big one!"  He shouts.  "Everybody get ready to ride!"

Poised.  Ready.  The mountain is rising.  Rising.  Rising.  

Take a deep breath . . .

"Now!"

And, our bodies, straight as surfboard, are carried on the crest of the wave.

Weightless.  Gliding.  Rushing!

And, if we're lucky, we land gracefully on the shore.

At worst, the wave breaks over us, water swirling, raging around our heads.  We are tossed like a hapless rag in a washing machine.

Only to come up for air.  Bruised, but not broken.

Pick ourselves up gleefully.

And, race back into the ocean.

To catch the next perfect wave.

Do you have favorite memories of time spent at the beach?

Will you join me in prayer?
Today, Father, let us listen for Your voice.  Perhaps we will hear You speaking through the thundering waves, or a gentle breeze, or in the laughter of a child.  Open the ears of our hearts that we might truly hear You.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 24, 29 or 8, 84
Leviticus 8:1-13, 30-36
Hebrews 12:1-14
Luke 4:16-30  

22 comments:

  1. Too many to count! All of them with family from a young age and beyond! I am hoping to find a beach here that I will at least enjoy walking along, hearing the waves crash. I have no desire to swim in any waters here in Japan but look forward to finding beauty in them anyways. I grew up with my parents taking me to the beach all the time and I've been spoiled my whole life living right next to them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here, RoseAnn!
      You certainly did have it great growing up, being able to frequent the beach as much as you did.
      I hope, too, you can find a beautiful beach in Japan to visit on occasion.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, i don't really have memories on the beach except that I sat once next to a man who was singing alone on a rock. I sat and listened. I was 7, and never saw that man before. He sang for me, and I felt happy. It's later that I learned he was a very famous singer who just needed few minutes away from the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by today, Nikky!
      Wow! What a story this is! I guess you never learned who it was?
      I guess that doesn't really matter in the long run since this is such a happy memory for you just the way it is.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful Martha! Whenever I hear or see beach or the waves or clear skies, I'd immediately feel relaxed. There's a sense of calm in the sea...plus immersing in the water is healing as it washes away memories and pressures in life.

    I pray with you...may our eyes, hearts and minds be receptive to the abundant blessings that You offer each day. May we embrace You in Your wonderful creation so that we may feel your love for us.

    Thank you Martha :) The pressure of work's taking its toll in my body. So I'm very glad you took me out into the sea today to relax in the Lord :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Melissa!
      I'm so glad you were able to feel those waves washing over you in this post and relieving some of the stress you are feeling. I will be praying for you!
      And, yes, may His creation open us up to His great love.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I love going to the beach! While I no longer rush into the waves as I did as a little one, I remember the feelings of being a child and running as fast as I could into crashing waves, ducking under the water and building sand castles. I'm living in Colorado now, far from the beach, but if I think on it long enough, I can still taste the salty air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping in today, Erin!
      Oh, that salt tang in the air! Running into the waves! Building sand castles!
      These are some wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing. :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Having grown up in Florida from age eight I have lots of memories of the beach. My mom was a beachaholic and loved the beach. We spent hours swimming, looking for shells and sand dollars and playing in the waves just like you describe. I still feel absolutely rejuvenated every time I spend time there. Thanks for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lynne!
      You were one lucky young lady to grow up with the beach close at hand. Thanks for sharing your memories today!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Every summer our family goes up to Wellfleet, Cape Cod, for a little over a week. It's a wonderful time! I've been going up there since I was a child...My grandparents own a summer vacation place and that's where we all stay. I love watching out kids explore the ocean, always discovering something new and getting lost in awe at its magnificence. It's a wondrous place indeed! Right now I can't remember a specific moment but we have so many that we cherish of visiting the ocean.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jessica, Cape Cod? That is so close to where my extended family lived; Horseneck Beach is not far at all from there.
      And, how great it is that your grandparents have a summer place right on the water. Who could ask for anything more? I know your children must really enjoy it!
      Thanks for coming by!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful, Martha. I sometimes feel the power of God's Spirit in the very subtle breeze when the leaves barely tremble...it's God whispering to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jimi Ann, and glad you enjoyed the post.
      Oh, I love how you hear God's whisper . . . and feel the power of His presence.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. I loved this! Growing up in California, I have several great memories of the beach. I often go to the beach to HEAR God and to pray! I think it's one of God's most BEAUTIFUL creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by, Lisa Marie!
      Wow! California! I've never visited there, but I do know it has fantastic beaches.
      I'm glad to know you go to the beach both to pray and to hear the Lord. Wonderful!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. yes! And that was my blog post today! fun at the beach...
    great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, AnnMarie!
      Somehow, I missed your blog about the beach and will have to run back and check. Loved the one today about your boys and wrestling. Left a comment. :)
      Oh, yes, and great minds do think alike!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Oh yes I have countless memories of riding a wave in the beach. I used to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Rimly!
      Glad to know you have wonderful beach memories. I can't imagine my life without mine. :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. I spent many days on Jekyll Island Beach and St. Simons Isl. Beach in the 1960's. Wow, that sounds so long ago. One of teh amazing things is that my Mom would actually take us to the beach when a hurricane or tropical system was passing the Ga. coast and let us ride the really big waves. The rip would drag you down the beach; you could barely stand. That was a dangerous thing to do, but we sure had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Danny! Even though I've heard this story before, it always amazes me when I hear it again to think your mom would ever let you all do this. :)

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...