Sunday, May 27, 2012

" . . . The Night You Told me Those Little White Lies . . ."

John 4:23
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

When my children are growing up, I stress the importance of being truthful.

"One lie always leads to another," I admonish.  "It's a bad habit that's hard to break once you start."

"Even a little lie?" they ask.

"Yes, even a little one.  Lies are nothing but trouble.  I always expect the truth from both of you."

But, no matter how much I preach it, nothing drives this point home to them better than when we watch the movie, "The Sound of Music", together.

The Von Trapp children have just returned home from an attempted visit with Maria, their governess, who has retreated to the abbey.  When their father, Captain Von Trapp, questions where they have been and what they've been up to, they do not want to tell him the truth.  Afraid he will be angry with them.

If memory serves, the scene plays out like this:

"We went berry picking," Kurt announces.

"Berry picking?  Well, where are they?" the Captain asks.  "Show me the berries."

"Uh, we don't have them . . ."

"Don't have them?"

"Because, we ate them all!"

Oh, I see, you ate every one?  What kind of berries were they?"

"Blueberries, sir," Friedrich says.

"Blueberries?  Isn't it a bit early in the year for blueberries?"

"They were strawberries!  It's been so cold lately, they turned blue!"

Says the knowing Captain, "Well, since you've stuffed yourselves with delicious berries, you must be full.  I'll simply ask Cook to cancel your dinners."

Much to their chagrin and dismay.

If they had only told the truth in the first place, they wouldn't be in this predicament.

I pause the film and address my children.

"Now, what do you think about telling lies?"

"Bad idea," Daniel says with utmost seriousness.

"Very bad," Sarah agrees.

"You can expect us to tell the truth, Mom.  Right, Sarah?"

"Right!"
~
Has telling a lie ever gotten you in hot water?

Will you pray with me?
We are so thankful, Father, to be able to worship You in Spirit and in truth.  When we are tempted to tell a lie, even a "white" one, stop us before we speak.  Help us to always be truthful with You, with ourselves, and with others.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 118 or 145
Deuteronomy 16:9-12
Acts 4:18-21, 23-33
John 4:19-26  

20 comments:

  1. I love all your prayers Martha. Thanks for sharing. I still am having a hard time to teach my daughter not to lie but I pray for it always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Irene!
      It isn't easy to teach children why lying only cheats them in the long run. We just have to keep at it! :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Great lesson Martha!!!
    I lied to my parents one at the age of 8 and I will never ever forget that. I fell from my Bicycle, and had a big wound. I was afraid to say how it happened so that they don't stop me from riding my bike. I said it was the neighbor who pushed me, but insisting that he has't done it on purpose so that they don't yell at him. My father went straight to that 15 years old boy, and before he says a word, i apologized from the boy in front of dad for telling a lie about him, and that day promised myself not to lie again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Nikky!
      Wow! That's quite the story about you, the boy, and your bicycle. I like that you stepped up to protect the boy even though it would most likely get you in trouble. Sometimes, it takes something major to make us vow never to lie again.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Oooo when the kids ask me for conditions to tell a lie, I'd say it's still a lie isn't it?

    I do remember that scene from The Sound of Music and though it makes us laugh, it does hit a point.

    I pray with you, may we always have the courage to be truthful no matter what...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by today, Melissa!
      Yes, no matter how you look at it, it's still a lie. The scene from the movie is comical, but I love how this lesson is embedded so cleverly in a humorous way.
      Thank you for sharing in prayer!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I think I was 13 when "The Sound of Music" first appeared in movie theaters. And I still enjoy watching it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Glynn!
      Yes, it has certainly endured the test of time and is one of my all-time favorites. Writing this made me want to see it yet again!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Lies are truly heart breakers and even damage relationships beyond repair. Such beautiful words. AMEN to your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Me!
      Yes, they are both heart breakers and trust breakers. I always stressed to my kids, too, that once trust is gone, it's so difficult to earn it back.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. That's an important lesson for sure to impart to our children. One little lie discredits a person's character and can effect a relationship , really knocking it off its foundation.

    I can't remember specifically lies I've told in the past..I try to be as forthright as I can now, having learned my lesson. But I just remember as a child, not being truthful here and there... the sense that I disappointed my parents, if found out, was something that would nag on my conscience for quite some time. And often lies build, one on top of the other, in one's attempt to cover them up. Lying...just not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping in, Jessica!
      Oh, I was not always truthful either - mostly out of fear of punishment. But, I did have the same feelings as you that I was letting my parents or friends down. And, when they build upon each other as in this scenario above, they do certainly give themselves away.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. My mother, bless her sweet heart, had an ambivalent relationship with truth. She did "truly" believe that bending the truth was the better path in some situations. I respectfully disagreed. I can't say I never told a little or even a big lie, but I have always tried to be truthful and to model truthfulness for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Galen!
      I think we sometimes "bend" the truth to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Sounds to me that was your mother's stance.
      It's the best thing we can do to attempt to be truthful in all situations and, as you did, model honesty for our children. They are so very impressionable.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. White lies, Abraham told them. David told them. Peter told them. Why can’t we?
    LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Debra!
      They sure did, didn't they? The heartbreak of Peter's denial of Jesus, however, is enough for me to not want to go there. :)
      Thank goodness the Lord forgives!
      Thanks so much for coming by today!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  9. It's so easy to tell a lie isn't it? Of course I have been caught in a few as a child, but thank goodness I grew out of the habit. I think we all tell "little lies" every now and then to avoid feeling embarrassed or uncomfortable, like when someone asks if you're okay and you say yes knowing that you're really miserable. LOL! Sometimes you don't want to see the pity face or hear the pity voice in response. We want to always seem and be strong as adults don't we? :-)

    Thanks for this prayer as always Martha!

    http://lyricfire.typepad.com/lyric-fire/2012/05/lyric-fire-when-writers-collide-my-fantasy-author-mashups.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Tameka!
      What a perfect example you have given here as to when, as adults, we may continue to lie in order to "avoid feeling embarrassed or uncomfortable". I know there were many tough days at work when things were falling apart in my life that I had to put the false face on and parade through my day, especially since I was teaching children and always had to put my best foot forward.
      I love the perspective you have brought to my post!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. You're welcome Martha! I have found a way to answer when I'm not feeling my best that allows me to keep my dignity. I will just say "I'm being challenged." I don't get the pity face then. It's usually a reaction of "Oh I can relate" or they may tell me about a personal challenge of their own. Everyone is challenged and instead of feeling pity, people feel compelled to share a solution or anecdote or tell their own story. Well, it works for me at least. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Even more great advice here. How would the world be different if we could couch our words in terms that place the ball in another's court? No lies, just an invitation to reveal and to revel in each other's journeys.
      Thank you for coming by again and adding such rich insights here.
      Blessings always!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...