Saturday, May 12, 2012

"Give 'Em the Business, Beave!"

Matthew 7:20
Thus, by their fruits you will recognize them.

When we get home from school, if it's too cold or rainy to play outside, our mom allows us to watch reruns of the classic television show, "Leave it to Beaver".

My brother, Bill, and I love the characters and enjoy seeing "The Beave" get into one scrape after another.  There are countless life lessons in these episodes and lots of good advice for one growing up.

There is one personality, though, with whom we have a difficult time identifying:  Eddie Haskell.  Blatantly two-faced, he acts one way around his buddies and the opposite way in front of adults.

When Beaver's mother opens the door for Eddie to enter, she hears, "Good afternoon, Mrs. Clever.  My! What a lovely dress you have on today."

But, when alone with Beaver's older brother, Wally, he waves his true colors.  He becomes a braggart.  A wise guy.  A know-it-all.

And, a would-be bully to Beaver if Wally didn't intervene.

In a word, Eddie is obnoxious.

Sadly, there are many Eddie Haskells dwelling among us.

They are in the workplace.  The schoolhouse.  The churches.

Putting on a plastic, subservient face before the boss, then demeaning him behind his back.  Polite as punch to a teacher, yet mean as a snake to one's peers.  Presenting a humble, pious demeanor at worship, but humiliating or abusing the family in the privacy of the home.

Duplicitous.  Deceitful.

Dangerous . . .

Shrunken, disheveled raisins masquerading as luscious, succulent grapes.

"By their fruits you will recognize them."

But, do we?

I know I have been fooled more times than I like to admit.

How about you?

Will you pray with me?
Let us not be deceived, Father, by false teachers or prophets on our journey of faith.  Open our eyes to Your Word and Your Truth as You would have us see them.  Help us to love and pray for those who have lost their way.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 75, 76 or 23, 27
Leviticus 23:23-44
2 Thessalonians 3:1-18
Matthew 7:13-21  

10 comments:

  1. Dear Martha,
    I can remember the show..."Leave it to Beaver". I loved it and won't mind watching it again sometimes. Thanks for the post and memory my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great show and so glad you remember it, Andy.
      Thanks so much for coming by.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Always one of my favorite shows! So true about being more discerning. Sometimes it's hard to see the truth when people wear masks. That's why it's important for us to always remain close to God so he can be our eyes. Another amazing post. Oh, Happy Mother's Day to you if you are a mom! Cheers!

    http://lyricfire.typepad.com/lyric-fire/2012/05/shades-of-green-and-gray-embracing-challenges-to-become-a-better-artist.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here, Tameka!
      You are so right - we are much more vulnerable to being fooled by the masks others wear when we are not focused on God first to be our eyes for us.
      So glad you enjoyed the post and that "Leave it to Beaver" is one of your favorites, too!
      Blessings, and thanks for the Mothers' Day wishes. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this Martha, but I do understand what you mean. It portrays itself as funny but it gives a strong sting in reality.

    As I wrote you, I wish to be more sincere. I guess one of the reasons why I have to retreat for a while. I'm learning to be firm but still loving. I do not wish the kids to be scared of me when I change my tone.

    As to the people I relate with, it's easier to speak of people's faults behind their backs. Well, I do tell it right away face-to-face but I guess the way I say it comes out harshly.

    I pray with you, I believe that God is the truth. May we learn from Him...may His love always be our guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here, Melissa!
      Yes, there were always great life lessons in these shows. You could possibly find some clips on YouTube - they will seem old-fashioned and out-dated in tone, but the message is still timely.
      It is great to have candor with others. As you say here, though, you feel you have to work on your tone of voice and how you say something. So wise to look critically at ourselves and ask God for guidance in all things. :)
      He is our truth!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. I loved Leave it to Beaver. I remember dreaming of having a family like his.

    I just read another article from a school principle. Open house she is walking around getting to know the parents etc. She walks by a parent, doesn't introduces herself as the principle and the lady starts going on about the new principle and how she didn't want this or that. Long story short when the lady finishes the principle politely extends her hand and says "Hello I am ----, the new principle." The lady turned several shades of red. It's sad that as an adult we should know better and most do, we teach our children not to be like this. But still have the nerve to act this way in a room full of our children, their teachers, parents etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by, Debbie!
      What a great story and life lesson you have shared here. I know that woman must have been incredibly embarrassed, but, you are so right - she should have known better. We all should. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. This is a great reflection, Martha! Sometimes pretentious people annoy me. And well, they may succeed in deceiving other people but they will never succeed in deceiving God. :-)

    God bless <3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the way you compared these deceitful people to "Shrunken, disheveled raisins masquerading as luscious, succulent grapes." I have had my share such hypocrites. It used to trouble me but today I pray for such kind because someday they will be found out.

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...