Thursday, May 10, 2012

"Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I Love Ya, Tommorow . . ."

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."


"Mom!  Guess what?"  The excited voice of my daughter, Sarah, is loud and clear on my cell phone.

"What, honey?"

"I have a job interview this Friday!"

"Oh, that's tremendous news, Sarah!  I know you will do fine.  I'll start praying now that you get the job."

"Thanks, Mom, but I'm worried."

"About what?"

"What if I don't answer the questions right?  What if I don't meet the criteria?  And, on top of that, I don't have anything decent to wear to the interview!"

"One step at a time, Sarah," I advise her.  "Let me pick you up tomorrow and we'll go shopping for an outfit."

"Really?  Oh, Mom, that would be such a help.  But, what if we don't find anything?"

"We will, honey, even if we have to shop 'til we drop."

"But, what if . . .?"

"Sarah, please don't worry.  Let's tackle one thing at a time.  First, the clothing so you can look your best.  Then, we can discuss any concerns you might have about the interview.  Remember, I'm praying for you.  You can pray for you, too.  Turn it all over to God.
~
Isn't it too easy, to tempting for us, when faced with either trouble or opportunity, to worry?  Yet, Jesus tells us to do just the opposite.

He knows we will have challenging times.  Days when the unexpected happens.  Anxiety when anticipating an ambitious or difficult change in our lives.

But, He promises to be there with us.  Asks us to cast our cares on Him.

For, His yoke is easy and His burden is light. (Matthew 11:30)

He can carry our cares, our worries, our uncertainties.

All we need to do is to let go, and let Him.
~
Can you give your worries to the Lord today?

Will you pray with me?
It is so easy for us, Father, to cling to our worries and cares instead of turning them all over to You in prayer.  Help us to handle the challenges of each day one step at a time.  Let us be anxious for nothing, but in everything, give thank to You.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms (70), 71 or 74
Leviticus 19:26-37
2 Thessalonians 1:1-12
Matthew 6:25-34 

22 comments:

  1. I love all your posts Martha, but this one is my favorite. I was always an anxious person, always afraid and thinking "what if" until I learned the lesson. I am now the opposite, never worrying about tomorrow, never!!

    I just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger and Beautiful blogger awards! You can check it on my latest Blog post!

    http://nikkysstrengthandweakness-nikky44.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-am-very-excited-to-announce-that-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nikky! You are too kind! I will definitely check this out on your latest blog. :)
      I am so relieved, too, to know you have kicked the "worries" - what a relief that is!
      Blessings to you and thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Martha, today and every minute of every day I am dumping my mess at His feet. I can't handle all the stress and second guessing. It's so destructive and produces nothing but fear and unhappiness.
    Today, I leave it all there for Him to take care of and guide me with wisdom. What a blessed relief!
    Sending love to my Martha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Leah!
      Yes! Do exactly that, my friend, and you will feel so much better!
      Let Him keep you, lead you, guide you, and love you. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it amazing how we mothers remain calm when our kids are anxious...how we guide them and ease their worries. And, it is whom we look up to for strength when we are anxious ourselves. Look at the load he has to carry!
    Nice post again Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, Janaki, how we manage to stay calm and focused when our kids (even grown ones) need us.
      I used to worry much more than I do now because I have learned His "yoke is easy and His burden is light" - He can carry my cares and yours! :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. I somehow felt I needed this today - Thanks so much for sharing it.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy this met you where you are today, my friend.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Martha your daughter sounds just like Ron, my son. I try to be calm but sometimes fail miserably but I try. As you say it is so tempting to worry instead of surrendering to God and let hi handle our problems. Beautiful post as always

    http://rimlybezbaruah.blogspot.in/2012/05/my-salvation.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by today, Rimly!
      Wow! Two peas in a pod! It isn't always easy to remain calm and collected, but I have learned over the years to truly trust God when I feel stressed or anxious. We are tempted to do the opposite, but it never works.
      Thanks for the compliment!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. I suffer anxious moments too and this is a good reminder. to do what is in our control and leave what is not, to God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerly, I think it is only human to feel anxiety at times. God wants us to move beyond that and rest in His care.
      Thanks so much for dropping by!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. In Jesus Name, AMEN!!! I think we all go through the "what if" which causes us to worry more! Very good word and reminder!!! He will take care of EVERYTHING as long as we put our cares in His hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Lisa Marie!
      That's the big "if" - If we will put it all in the Lord's hands. We have to learn to let go and let God, don't we? :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. Oooo I'm a worry wart LOL, always anticipating what lies ahead. However, with the current experiences that I'm having, the Lord keeps on changing my scheds in life, even my two year plans. I think when He does, it means that my plans for myself are not attuned to His.

    I believe that God is a God of surprises and He truly does care for our every need even if most of the times we fail to recognize it.

    I pray with you, God gives us the present moment to live and to love. May our trust in Him grow more each day as He unfolds His plans for us . He always know what is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa, for visiting and sharing today!
      If you are seeing God make moves in your life that change your plans, I truly believe He is working steadily to move you in the life He wants for you. He really can surprise us when we let Him! :)
      And, yes, may we become more and more attuned to living in the moment, His moment, and become attuned to His plans for us.
      Thank you for praying with me so faithfully!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
    2. How wonderfully put Martha....living in God's moment :) Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Ha! I recognize that conversation! I've been on both sides of it many times. What a perfect verse to reassure us that we're in good hands, and I don't mean Allstate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping in, Galen!
      I do think it's one every mom can identify with. :) And, yes, we are in the most capable hands of all.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  10. I've been doing my best to apply Matthew 6:34 in my life lately, Martha. Although sometimes, worry still takes over me. I have to recite the verse over and over again to be reminded that God holds tomorrow so I don't have to be anxious about anything.

    Thank you so much for the reminder, Martha! God bless! <3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Irene!
      Oh, I can't tell you how I clung to this verse for dear life for years before I could really begin to let go. It is a process and you will accomplish it in time, my dear.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...