Thursday, October 14, 2010

Matthew 19:14 - Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

I had the delightful task this week of babysitting for my granddaughter, Virginia Rose. Her parents, John and Sarah, were gone for over four hours, so "Gammie" had quite a stretch of time to get better acquainted with her darling almost-three-month-old. Naturally, I doted on her every smile, her laughs and coos, and marveled as I watched her roll from her back to her stomach repeatedly, becoming frustrated only when she momentarily forgot how to extricate her arm from beneath her (I had to intervene a time or two). She has also learned to grab a particular ring on her play gym because it rewards her efforts with a variety of perky tunes. Music, most definitely, has a calming effect on her!

Not everything, however, was sweetness and light that afternoon. Virginia fights sleep with a ferocity that manifests itself in boisterous cries. The only way I found to soothe her was to walk the floor with her in my arms. She quieted especially promptly when I carried her outdoors where the trees, sky and wind held a particular fascination for her. As much as I coveted holding her, it wasn't long before my arms began to protest at the unaccustomed weight, and I was ever so relieved when her blue-like-Gammie's eyes closed at last and I could ease her into the seat of her swing for her much-needed nap.

By the time her parents arrived home, I felt like I was the one who needed a nap! I thought about other grandparents my age and older who, for whatever circumstance, are raising their children's children, and my heart ached for them. For even the most energetic of us, bringing up a second family, while being the right thing to do, would never be the easiest. The infant, toddler, child, teen are all, at their different stages, dependent upon the adults in the lives to nurture them, love them, and meet their needs. Observing Sarah and John with Virginia, I know she is one blessed little girl!

I, too, am blessed, and so are you. We have a Father in Heaven who loves us, cares for us, comforts us and, thank goodness, is never too tired or distracted when we need Him to hold us, speak to us, or walk with us. Come, then, before Him as a little child, wholly and completely dependent upon Him, leaning not on your own understanding but trusting in His. Therein is the Kingdom of Heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Martha, I have felt exactly that way. I'm not quite at the place where I can do more than one at a time, but I know that day is coming. Wouldn't trade it for anything, but my heart, too, is with those raising g'children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Sounds like you enjoyed your time with Miss Virginia!

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...