Friday, October 29, 2010

Wait Upon the Lord

Psalm 130:6 - My soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, yes, more than those who watch for the morning.


Waiting is difficult for most of us and, most of the time, we do so grudgingly. We wait at the grocery store, irritated that the person ahead of us picked up an item requiring a price check. We wait in snarls of rush hour traffic, frantic that we will be late for work or furious because we are so late getting home. We wait with pregnant anticipation for mountain getaway without technological frills to distract us and, by the end of the vacation, can't wait to pounce on our computers. In a society grown accustomed to instant gratification, neither waiting nor patience are desired virtues.

In my life, I am waiting to hear positive news about two things that I know in my heart of hearts God has led me to pursue. There are days when I wallow in my own dark doubts and insecurities: "Lord, was it really you pushing me toward these goals? Was it not your voice I heard? Yes? Then, why must I wait so long for something wonderful to come of this?" And then, there are days when I take joy in the watch, certain that all is God's time and hands and knowing He will bring the good work He began in me to fruition.

The darkest hour is just before dawn claims the old adage. Like the verse from Psalms quoted above, it reflects the void in our souls when we cannot feel God's presence in our lives yet, paradoxically, offers us the assurance that He, the light of the world, will shine on us once again if we, with the psalmist, will wait with patience and hope.

Psalm 27:14 - Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...