He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
In our household, laundry is my domain. My husband, Danny, hasn't had to run one load of clothes since we married in 2005. Really!
Do I mind? Not at all! I love my Energy Star front-loader which washes our clothes so efficiently. But, what I love most of all is being able to hang our laundry outdoors to dry. Yes, you heard me right. I like hanging the clothes on the line!
Before you stop reading the post at this juncture because you've decided I'm a bit daft, please allow me to share my rationale for doing this instead of using the dryer.
- We save energy. As Ben Franklin reminds us, a penny saved is a penny earned. What's wrong with being frugal? Those dollars not spent now will mean more money in the future. How can that be a bad thing?
- I get more exercise. Although I work out in the gym on a regular basis, lugging the basket of wet, heavy clothes from the basement to the deck, and then hanging them out, pulling them in when dry, folding and putting them away, well, I think that counts for at least half a workout!
- It's organized! I have a regimen with regard to how I hang clothes. Those that require the most drying time, like jeans, are penned first. When all else is dry, I can give these items the time they need without having to take them off the line and put them back up.
- It's organized, again! When I hang clothes out, I can pin them in such a way that it makes putting them away in closets and drawers so much easier. The dryer, while convenient and quick, jumbles the clothing and calls for the extra effort to seek and sort and coordinate. Not a big fan of randomness.
- Did I mention I don't like randomness? When it comes to my clothespins, I have them arranged by color. No article of clothing requiring two clothespins can be of different colors. They must match! Okay, I admit, this is
somewhattruly anal on my part. But, when did God ever say we can't have some order in our lives? Hanging up clothes this way makes me feel better. Can't explain. Just does . . .
But, this summer, my clothesline and I have had limited interaction. God has sent us more rain in these months than we have seen in forever! In fact, I've used the dryer more in Jun and July than I have in the past two years. Honestly!
I am grateful for the much needed rain, but I also long for those bright, sunny days. I know that God will send both in His time. I know He is with me each and every day, no matter what the forecast.
He is there.
With us always . . .
Rain or shine, summer or winter . . .
Righteous or unrighteous.
God is there!
Do you have any quirky habits when doing chores around the house?
Will you pray with me?
We thank You, Father, for being with us always, whether or not we deserve it. We cannot earn Your blessings, yet you bestow them freely upon us. Your love shines down upon the deserving and undeserving. Your sunshine and rain fall upon the righteous and the unrighteous. May we simply be thankful for all Your many blessings. Amen.