Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Daily Devotion, June 1, 2011

Luke 12:29-31
And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and you Father knows that you need them. But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

In those dark days before I allowed the light of Christ into my life, I was an inveterate worrier. I fretted over my looks, my finances, my work, others' opinions, and anything else I could conjure up at the moment. Anxiety was my constant companion; in worrying, I felt that I had some measure of control over my life and, to some extent, the lives of others. It wasn't until God revealed His truth - He is the one and only in control of everyone and everything - that I began to turn from the worry that paralyzes to the prayer that frees.

Jesus is speaking to us in this scripture not only about worries that fetter us, but also about setting our priorities correctly. We are told to seek God's kingdom first and foremost, resting in the promise that He knows and will meet our needs before we ask, and not place worldly treasures on a pedestal. If we are to live fulfilled and meaningful lives, we must learn to let go and let God.

Are worries plaguing you today? Turn them, instead, into prayers, petitions, and supplications to the One who knows you and loves you without measure. He will provide. Your cup will be overflowing.

Readings:
Psalms: 119:97-120
Baruch (Apocrypha) 3:24-37
James 5:13-18
Luke 12:22-31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep Calm and Pray

  As they sailed, he fell asleep.  A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.  The d...