Sunday, June 26, 2011

On Level Ground


Psalm 143:10
Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
lead me on level ground.

When I use the treadmill at the gym for my cardio-workout, I place the speed at a stiff, power-walking pace (I don't do running) and hike the incline gradually until I can feel my leg muscles straining. I stay the course for as long as possible, usually about half-a-mile, before I begin reducing the incline's intensity bit by bit until I am, at last, down to zero. After all that uphill struggle, it's always a relief to return to level ground, to lower my speed, to feel my legs start to relax and embrace the stroll.

Doing things our way, not God's way, is like walking the treadmill at maximum speed and incline: It's a constant battle that gets us nowhere; it wears us down and finally wears us out. When we pray daily, however, that we might do His will and walk in His ways, the obstacles in our lives that were mountainous dwindle to molehills. God sets our feet on His straight and level path where we can stride in faith and confidence, knowing His holy presence is leading us. We are no longer consumed by the desire to know where we are going but, rather, free to delight in the journey He has set before us.

Lead on, Holy Spirit!

Readings
Psalms 118 or 143
1 Samuel 10:1-16
Romans 4:13-25
Matthew 21:23-32

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...