Tuesday, March 5, 2013

You Fit Right In!


Hebrews 12:1-2a
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith.

I have belonged to the LA Fitness gym since 2004.  The encouragements from my daughter, Sarah, and my husband, Danny, convinced me to join.  I've never regretted this healthy decision and have never looked back.

Until now . . .

With the blessing of his boss, Danny now works two days a week at home, and continues to have every other Friday off because he works nine-hour days.  He has a gym at work which he utilizes, but with the two days at home, his missing the work-outs at the office during his lunch break.  Something has to give here.

"Martha, will you check at LA Fitness when you go tomorrow and find out what it would cost to add me?  They should be able to offer us a deal since your membership has been there for so long."

"I'll do that."

The next day after my workout, I sit down with an enrollment representative to see what kind of special the gym can offer us.  Not very.  Special, that is.  Danny would be required to pay a first month/last month fee and, although his monthly membership would be about five dollars less than what I now pay, together our bill per month would be about $65.

Danny is ticked.  "Is that the best they can do?  We're just going to have to find another gym.  One that's more affordable."

"But, where?"  I ask.

"I don't know at the moment, but I'll do some research on line."

Then, the miraculous happens . . .

A sign goes up by the road which passes our neighborhood shopping center:  "You Fit - Coming Soon!"  It's a brand new gym!  Danny checks them out on the internet.  Sure enough, these folks are the real deal!  One dollar per person to join, and only $10 a month for each of us to maintain membership.  And, no contract!

Needless to say, Danny signs us up at the first opportunity.  But now, I have to give notice to LA Fitness.  I'm dreading it.  I've heard all the horror stories of how gyms try to pressure you into staying, offering (finally) deal after deal.  Badgering you.  Inviting you on a guilt trip.

So, I manage to put this task off until the last minute, but in time to allow my upfront payment made so many years ago be applied to the month of March.  As I approach the manager's desk, I take a deep breath and pray silently that this interaction will be the opposite of what I've anticipated.

God is so good!  The manager is pleasant when I explain my reason for cancelling.  He simply asks for my membership key, punches my code into his computer, and says, "You're good through the end of March."

No pleading.  No begging.  No inquisition.

Whew!

And now, I can look forward to enjoying workout sessions with my husband and best friend, Danny.  Being with him will give me that much more perseverance and determination to run the race set before me.  Before us.

Together.

Now, if I can just get past the colors at the You Fit gyms!  Sunglasses, anyone?



~

What exercise routines do you engage in which help you stay in shape?

Will you pray with me?
Let us run the race of our lives, Father, with perseverance, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, our Lord, the One who perfects our faith.  May we seek health and wellness not just in our bodies, but in our minds and spirits.  Let us join with the clouds of witnesses in proclaiming the Good News of Your Kingdom.  Amen.

8 comments:

  1. wow...that is a huge gym!! we get a family membership....definitely get our $'s worth...the little kids swim or play basketball and the parents and teens use the rest of the gym....it is inconvenient for my husband..but he works around it...
    glad everything worked out (ha!) for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Annmarie, yes, it did work out! :) Thanks so much for visiting today!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Yup! Law of Attraction in action, Martha!
    Danny is ticked. "Is that the best they can do? We're just going to have to find another gym. One that's more affordable."

    Danny asked.
    He waited.
    And a miracle happened.

    You found your new gym.
    Good for you!
    Law of Attraction says:
    --Ask.
    --Wait and forget

    What exercise do I do?
    I walk w/a friend 4 times a week up to 5 miles on some days.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, you are so right! Law of Attraction at work big time here, for sure! Now, we're just waiting for it to open sometime this month. :)
      Glad you have an exercise program that you follow. Five miles??? Wow!
      Blessings to you and thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Snazzy gym. I am break it up, elliptical, treadmill, and bike..and free weights, but I also urban walk, which is the most important to the writer in me. Walking outside of the gym is my writer's safe harbor. I hit the gym 4 / 5 days a week, it keep all of me whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Brenda!
      Wow! That's a dedicated work out schedule, my friend! You must be in awesome shape. I'm hoping having a work out partner will make me kick it up a notch.:)
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  4. I've tried lots of gyms. My current favorite is WOW fitness in Townelake. It doesn't have all the glitz of LA fitness or Golds but is a good basic gym and it has great classes. I especially love a yoga class on Saturdays and Tuesday evenings. Even better the cost is slightly subsidized by the county that I work for. Must be nice though to have someone to workout with and encourage you on. I've never had that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Lynne!
      Your gym sounds great, too. It's not about the glitz, but what you get out of the experience that counts, and the yoga class sounds great. :)
      Yes, having Danny to work out with will certainly give me the extra push I need, especially on those days I just don't feel like working out.
      Blessings and love!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...