Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Planting the Seeds


Matthew 13:1-9
That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake.  Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore.  Then he told them many things in parables, saying, "A farmer went out to sow his seed.  As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up.  Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil.  I sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.  But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root.  Other seed fell among the thorns, which grew up and choked the plants.  Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop - a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.  Whoever has ears, let them hear."

As our home is nestled in the woods and shade during the summer months, there are few plants and flowers we can nurture and grow to add life and color to our deck.  But every spring my husband, Danny, does his best to bring home prospective cheer-makers from our local big-box store fro me to plant in pots which we trust will encourage their growth, and make our summer relaxation times on our deck one of endless surprise and delight.











We purposefully place the plants in good soil, Miracle-Gro to be exact.  But shortly after these photos are snapped, the Foxglove sags and requires pruning.  One of the impatiens shows no sign of new and swelling buds.  The daisies, a Mother's Day gift, wilt and fade, leaving us to wonder, even though we have judiciously removed the dying blossoms, if they will bloom once more this season.

More questions than answers.

More doubts than faith.

We do our best, don't we?  In all the challenges laid before us, we rise up and strive to do and be the best we can be for God's sake.  But there are times when we simply have to sit back and take stock, knowing our efforts have been exercised in great faith, but that the outcome of such is beyond our control.

Times when we remember:  Everything is in God's hands.

May it be His will that the flowers bloom and the plants thrive!

~

Do you have a "green thumb" when it comes to gardening?  Would love to hear how you are planting the seeds in this world for Christ Jesus.

Prayer:  Father, may we plant seed of love and healing in Your name wherever we go.  Let us nurture those in need, water them with prayer, and be the sunshine in their lives.  All this we ask in Jesus' name.  Amen.




18 comments:

  1. When it comes to gardening i do not have a green thumb. I believe it is more the color of black. Some of that is my fault I'm sure. I just don't like putting the time into caring for plants that is needed. My wife doesn't care since she is not an "outdoors" person. As for planting seeds...I try to do that on a daily basis by investing my life in others. I believe I am better at that than the other type of gardening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planting seeds and nurturing growth for Christ's sake is doing "our utmost for His highest." Can't think of a better garden to grow, Bill!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Hi Martha! I really don't have a green thumb, but that doesn't stop me from planting flowers and a few vegetables every year. We have one rose bush that is gorgeous year after year...with no help from me at all.

    I think you plant seeds right here at this blog. Anytime you write about faith and the Scriptures, and how the Holy Spirit comes to you when you write...that's tossing the seeds out to each reader. I hope I'm one with the 'good soil' that can absorb the blessings of what you are saying.
    Blessings to you,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ceil, what kind words you have shared with me here. It is my hope that my blog plants seeds for the Kingdom in those who need to hear the Good News. I know your blog is truly inspiring to me every time I visit and am so, so glad I met you through Deb's blog! Believe me, my friend, your soil IS good soil, indeed!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Around my house plants have to rely on God's good humor and grace to survive because no matter how hard I try I usually end up killing everything I plant. This year I took extra pains to research which flowers handled shade best because with all the trees in the yard they get more shade then sun. I planted a whole bed of impatiens this year and so far so good. In years past I planted what I thought might look nice and eventually managed to kill all of those plants before the summer was over.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you when it comes to the shade business, that's for sure, Kathy! But the impatiens which actually is shade-tolerant should do great for you this year. It is when we choose plants which require lots of sunshine that we get into trouble. :) Best of luck with this year's garden!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. Around my house plants have to rely on God's good humor and grace to survive because no matter how hard I try I usually end up killing everything I plant. This year I took extra pains to research which flowers handled shade best because with all the trees in the yard they get more shade then sun. I planted a whole bed of impatiens this year and so far so good. In years past I planted what I thought might look nice and eventually managed to kill all of those plants before the summer was over.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t do much gardening or planting; my husband is the gardener in the family, although, unfortunately, the soil in our yard doesn’t cooperate with his efforts. Too much shade.

    But I love the parable of the sower. It was just this past Friday night that my friend was discussing this parable over dinner, speaking of how the soil of our hearts affects the outcome of our spiritual production. Good soil, that’s what I want. No thorns or rocks or bird snatching. Just a fruitful life, which takes prayer, vigilance, and work to keep the soil pure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Debra, it's one of my favorite parables, too. Good soil is what I pray for, too, that I might live my life to the fullest for God. And you're so right - it does take prayer, vigilance, and work to keep our soul pure and focused upon His sunshine.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. I don’t do much gardening or planting; my husband is the gardener in the family, although, unfortunately, the soil in our yard doesn’t cooperate with his efforts. Too much shade.

    But I love the parable of the sower. It was just this past Friday night that my friend was discussing this parable over dinner, speaking of how the soil of our hearts affects the outcome of our spiritual production. Good soil, that’s what I want. No thorns or rocks or bird snatching. Just a fruitful life, which takes prayer, vigilance, and work to keep the soil pure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, no green thumb here - I rely on the Lord for all the help I can get! Lovely photos and great lesson here, Martha. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! I'm discovering I have lots of friends lacking in a green thumb, but have no lack in love for the Lord. :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. Martha, I like your imagery of planting seeds. Sadly, I didn't inherit a green thumb from either grandmother nor did I fully inherit my mom's black thumb. The only "success" I've had is in plants that nearly take care of themselves. :) And of course my air fern is still alive...watering air ferns kill them (or so I've been told).

    I choose to plant spiritual seeds through my blog, Sunday school facilitation, preaching (occasional pulpit fill), participating in or leading Bible studies.

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my Dad was a career botanist and avid gardener, I wish, too, I had more of his gifts; seems like my son inherited that instead.
      But planting the spiritual seeds in others through the gifts of writing and teaching are so valuable, too, my friend. Never short-change yourself in that department!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  9. Rev is the gardener at our house. Your flowers are beautiful. Although we live in a subdivision, the back of our house is all wooded common ground. I love trees and the feeling of being nestled in that woods offer. It's the little bit of my Michigan upbringing I carry with me. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! Yes, isn't living in the woods amazingly wonderful? I wouldn't trade our home for any other out there!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. I'm terrible at gardening, Martha and never gardened in my life. When I was growing up, I couldn't even successfully mow the lawn LOL that lawn mower broke everytime I cut the grass ! haha My parents were certain that it was my resistance to cutting the grass and intentional sabotaging of the lawn mower that made it break down all the time.

    I do feel like a spiritual seed that sprouted though. I had heard the message throughout my life but never really took root until a couple years back. But once Jesus's message took root, I've never been the same person again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amusing story, Vishnu! Makes me so grateful that we live in the woods and don't have to cut grass at all. I've definitely had my fair share of that in years past.
      Better than being the green-thumb gardener, though, is being God's gardener for the souls and lives of others. Your roots in him are sure and firm, my friend, and you will sow good seed for His Kingdom going forward.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...