Monday, July 27, 2020

Our Daily Bread



Matthew 6:11
Give us today our daily bread.

A few weeks ago, I published a post about the perfect bread that my husband, Danny, stumbled upon when following a recipe for pizza dough.  Many of you expressed interest in this recipe, but I wanted to wait and see if Danny was able to successfully recreate what might have been a fluke.  Now that he's done that several times, I'll share it with you, along with some photos to illustrate the process.

Here are the ingredients you will need to make what we now call the Perfect Bread:
  • 3 1/4 - 4 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 envelope dry active yeast
  • 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt (if using fine salt, 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (105 - 110 degrees)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra bit to oil a bowl and plastic wrap
Danny starts by placing 3 cups of bread flour in our Kitchen Aid mixer.


He creates a mound at the top.  This is for the salt and a pinch of the sugar.


The yeast, as you can see above, and the remainder of the sugar go at the bottom.  The reason for the separation?  Yeast does better when NOT in direct contact with the salt.  Next, Danny pours warm water into the yeast side of the bowl.



Now, it's time to mix!  Danny adds the olive oil to the other ingredients.





Danny starts slow, #2 speed, adding a 1/4 cup of flour as seems appropriate.  But don't be afraid to put the mixer on Speed 4 once the ingredients have come together.  This is the actual kneading process for the bread.


The dough is ready when none sticks to the bottom of the bowl.


On a floured surface, Danny prepares to stretch the dough.






He stretches the dough on all sides, doing so at least 8 times before forming it into a ball.  This little guy is placed in a lightly oiled bowl and covered with plastic wrap that is also oiled so it won't stick to the bread as it rises.



Danny lets it rise for about two hours, or until doubled in size.


He turns the risen dough back on the floured surface, divides it into two loaves and does some more stretching until the bread begins to fight elasticity.




The two loaves are placed on a cookie sheet, covered again with oiled plastic wrap, and allowed to rise for another 2 hours.


Look how well these babies did!


Now is the time to preheat your oven to 375, placing a pan of water on the lowest rack to steam and form a crispier crust on the bread.  In the photo above, Danny is placing a dusting of flour on each of the loaves.

It's baking time!  Make sure to set your kitchen timer for 30 minutes.


And at the end of the baking cycle, look what we have!  Two golden brown loaves of melt-in-your-mouth bread.


I hope many of you will try making this tasty bread for yourself, your family or friends, remembering that our daily bread is something for which we should thank the Lord each and very day.

Amen!

28 comments:

  1. It really looks very delicious and very tempting. The problem with me is having the patience to wait for the dough to rise, (twice) and having to work it out and stretching it. When I ignore that, I always end up with baked stones that even the dog would not eat. I break them into small pieces for the birds. They leave our garden and go eat elsewhere. My bread is a bird deterrent!

    Congratulations to Danny. I'll try, with patience, to do it his way.

    God bless you and yours, Martha. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can muster the patience, Victor, it's well worth the effort. Hope you will decide to try it out eventually!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to settle for your word of recommendation Martha. Me and the kitchen don't mix. And i seriously doubt Jo will take the time to do this. She has better things to do...like watch TV. :) Congrats to Danny for being so creative and to you for finding someone like him. Jo lost out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sell yourself short, Bill. And maybe if you show this to Jo, she might have a change of heart about trying it out. :) Wish we lived closer so we could give you all a loaf!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that looks and sounds so good! I can just imagine how good it smells! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I am afraid I am too impatient to wait for all that rising. I do have a bread machine that does the work for me, but it probably isn't as good as this! I may try that recipe, however and see how it turns out in the bread machine. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, if you do try it out in the bread machine, let me know how it works out. I used to have one, too, years ago; you might have to half the recipe for the machine, though that would have to be your call. Good luck!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. Oh yum! Here it is, 7:35 in the morning and I've yet to eat breakfast yet, Martha. A slice of something home-baked would be heaven right about now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, Linda, this bread does taste like a slice of heaven - soft and pliant on the inside with a crusty outside. Sorry if I made you hungry! :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much, Martha! Does Danny's bread have (or could have) the hard crust common to those found in Europe? My Tom's beside himself that he can't find any hard bread here in Alabama. If so, this might actually warrant an investment in a Kitchen Aid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very similar, Mevely - crisp on the outside, but soft on the inside. It's the pan of water on the bottom of the oven that helps make that happen. If you do much baking at all, a Kitchen Aid is a fantastic investment. I've loved it from the day we got it. :)
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. love finding new recipes. Give our thanks for Danny for sharing this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will, Jean, and I do hope you will try it and let us know how it turns out.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  7. Looks yummy. I can almost smell the melted butter that coats one side now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious, J. D., that's for sure!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. Martha, this looks amazing. Thinks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m a bread lover! This looks wonderful.
    Thanks 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough bread either, Beckie, and this is a truly delicious recipe.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing this, Martha! I'm not much of a bread eater, nor am I one for the kitchen. I'll simply stick with Jesus, the Bread of Life!

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the very best bread you could ever have, Kim!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  11. When I say the Lord's Prayer, I often substitute "Thank you this day for our daily bread." Somehow I think that I don't need to demand ("give us") what God has already promised to provide. Just a thought. Wish I could have a slice of that bread right out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the way you've altered that part of the prayer, Galen. We can't thank God enough for all He does provide for us. Wish I could share a slice of this bread with you!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  12. This looks so delicious! I can only imagine how good it would be served right out of the oven with some butter slathered on it! And, maybe a second slice with some jam and a tall glass of cold milk! Okay, now I am hungry. I'm fasting from 7 pm to 11 am each night, so I will be dreaming of bread until tomorrow when I can eat again! LOL! God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you will be dreaming of bread, Cheryl! Fasting is a noble undertaking, one I've never been able to do; my blood sugar gets too low when I go too long without eating something.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  13. Very nice!..you are a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julius, I'm glad to welcome you here! No, I'm not the cook, but my husband is. He is always ready and willing to experiment with recipes, often to the joy of all who are recipients.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

Keep Calm and Pray

  As they sailed, he fell asleep.  A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.  The d...