Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Gift Most Grand


Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Have you ever been given a gift so grand you felt you didn't deserve it? Maybe, it was that shiny, new car your parents surprised you with at college graduation, or that unexpected cruise to the Bahamas for your 25th wedding anniversary, or a medal awarded for your brave service to our country. My most splendid and undeserved gift came from my husband, Danny. When he proposed to me and I, knowing full well that finding this loving man was an unwarranted gift in itself, accepted, he handed me a red-polished wooden box. I knew it contained my engagement ring and, not daring to let my fantasies run wild, I visualized the standard gold band with a single sparkling diamond mounted on it. Imagine my astonishment when I lifted the lid to find not just a solitaire, but one graced brilliantly on each side by six tiny, yet iridescent, diamonds! The ring was, and still is, beautiful beyond description; I was overwhelmed, over joyed, and certain that I had none nothing to merit such a glorious gift.

Out of His great love for us, God sent His Son to die for our sins, to redeem us, to bring us back into a relationship with Him. He knew that, no matter how hard we tried, we could never save ourselves from ourselves. None of us can earn God's grace and mercy and, most definitely, none of us are worthy of them. Yet, because of Jesus' sacrifice for us, we all have access to the most undeserved gift of all: Forgiveness.

Have you unwrapped God's ultimate gift for you? Go ahead; open it! Sure, it's not what you deserve, but it's your heart's desire.

Readings
Psalms 146, 147 or 111, 112, 113
1 Samuel 14:36-45
Romans 5:1-11
Matthew 22:1-14

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful thing to say. I only went with my heart and it led me to you.

    ReplyDelete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...