Saturday, July 16, 2011

God's Family


Mark 3:33-35
"Who are my mother and my brothers?" He asked.
Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."

Jesus' family is worried sick about Him. They have been told by some that He has lost His marbles and is antagonizing the scribes who have accused Him of casting out demons by the Devil's powers. They hasten to where He is staying only to find the crush of the crowd within and without the house impenetrable. Frantically fearful for Jesus' sanity and safety, they send a message through the throng that they have come to see Him. I imagine that Mary, like any loving mother, especially needed reassurance that her precious son was unharmed and well; if she could only see Him, talk with Him, this horrid dread would be dispelled from her heart.

Can't you just hear the brothers' reactions to the words spoken by Jesus in today's scripture?
"What?! But, I'm his real brother!"
"How could he treat us this way?"
"Hey, Jesus, get out here now! We need to talk!"
"Don't do this to Mom! You're being terribly unfair!"

And, Mary's reaction? Knowing full well Jesus' destiny, having pondered it for years in her heart, I think she understood perfectly what her son was saying. That's not to imply that she didn't feel hurt or disappointment at not seeing Him, but His words assured her that He was in His right mind and on the right track: Doing the will of His Father. After all, hadn't she, herself, obeyed that same will when she agreed to bear the Christ child? I envision Mary turning toward home, her bewildered family in tow, with a smile on her face and a heart serene.

"God our Father, Christ our brother,
All who live in love are thine;
Teach us how to love each other,
Lift us to the joy divine." ~ Henry J. Van Dyke

Readings
Psalms 30, 32 or 42, 43
1 Samuel 22:1-13
Acts 13:26-43
Mark 3:19b-35

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...