Friday, December 16, 2011

Life is a Game of Backgammon . . .

2 Peter 2:21
It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.

On our recent trip to the mountains, Danny and I play backgammon every afternoon. He's an expert at the game, having spent years sparring with friends and in tournaments.

I am a novice.

And, I haven't played in over a year, so I require major coaching in the rules of the game.

Danny patiently reviews these with me. Reveals the magic die combinations. Gently corrects my inaccurate moves during our first several games.

Backgammon is spatial. Mathematical. It takes my anything-but-mathematical mind a good long while to even begin wrapping itself around the game.

By our tenth one, I think I have the gist of it. I tell Danny to let me win or lose on my own.

And, lose, I do.

Because the rules are still new. There are so many strategies. Too many to recall all at once.

But, that's no excuse.

I've been shown the way, and I need to move forward.

I need to try harder to remember.

There's no turning around now . . .

By our second afternoon foray, I begin to win a game here and a game there. Not because of the luck of the die, but because I'm actually, finally, implementing the strategic moves crucial to winning.

I am on my way!

And, I won't look back . . .
~
If anyone had trouble following Jesus without falling on his face, it is Peter.

So many new rules. New strategies. New ways of looking at the power, the might, the grace of God.

Confused and bewildered on so many occasions, Peter listens and tries to understand all Jesus is teaching him, showing him.

When he recognizes Jesus as the Messiah, he wins the game.

When he denies the Lord three times, he loses. Big time.

He has earned the right to chastise those who have claimed the path of righteousness, but have taken the dangerous detour instead.

Just as he fell away from his Lord and Savior. And, the cock crowed . . .

Thankfully, for us, Jesus redeems His beloved Peter.

For, on his shoulders, the church is built.

Christianity is born.

We are saved . . .

Are your feet firmly planted on the road to righteousness?

Will you pray with me?
When we lose our way, Father, guide us back to you. When we fall, pick us up, dust us off, and set our course straight. Thank you for loving us even when we fail Your rules and Your strategies. We praise You for Your great glory! Amen.

Readings
Psalms 40, 54 or 51
Isaiah 10:5-19
2 Peter 2:17-22
Matthew 11:2-15

11 comments:

  1. We can only be shown the tools the rest is up to us.... I just played my turn so let's see where it takes me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Savira, we are all in this game together! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here.
    Roll those die! :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never played blackgammon but and I agree with you that we are all in this game.

    My moment

    http://rimlybezbaruah.blogspot.com/2011/12/friday-moment.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is a game eventually,I am realizing it as each day passes by,and as u said,we need to be firmly grounded to face it.
    I am happy to read your posts once again Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone, for stopping by today!
    @Danny - Thanks, honey!
    @Rimly - Yes, life is the real deal game! I will be sure to check out your moment. :)
    @Alpana - So glad to see you are back! Yes, we need to be firmly grounded or we will be swayed by any temptation that comes our way.

    Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love backgammon. To me, it's a game about being protective, taking risks, and cutting losses. You are a teacher; I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good philosophy. Life is a game; that's for sure.

    http://thechronicr.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/friday-moment-entry-1/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Sweepy and ChronicR for stopping by today!
    @Sweepyjean - Glad to know you enjoy this game. It certainly does reflect the game of life. I appreciate, so much, your compliment about teaching - I did so for years in the classroom, but am now so happy to be writing.
    @TheChronicR - Yes, life is a game to be played, for better or for worse. We are creations who have free will and, with that, we will make many mistakes. It is so comforting to know that the Lord is there for us when we lean on Him.

    Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is a game and yes there are rules that we must abide by to win. To be reunited with Christ we must obey his wishes and do what is required and practice certainly helps in that area. I've never played backgammon, I'm more of a chinese checkers type of guy. Nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, David, for stopping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment.
    To do what is required and to practice, practice, practice. His is the only game worth playing. We know this, but how often we can forget when the rules play into our interests.
    God bless you always!

    ReplyDelete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...